The Student Room Group

Cie igcse may/june 2019 english literature

Hello! I noticed that there weren’t any discussions taking place on this topic. I find Literature beautiful but so many themes in our stories are recurring and confusing. I know it might sound stupid but I like to remember them in the format of songs or short skits in my head to get a generalised summary of them :smile:

Don’t forget to introduce yourselves and get straight into discussing areas where you have problems. For my school’s literature, we’re doing the following:
1) Songs of Ourselves (Anthology of Poems)
2) Stories of Ourselves (Anthology of Stories)
3) Play 1: A View from the Bridge by Arthur Miller
4) Play 2: A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry

Frankly speaking, I find The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allen Poe the toughest. His language is far from colloquial and is entrancing but THERES SO MUCH TO ANALYSE IN-DEPTH! 😞

Here’s to hoping that we can engage in productive discussion, share any drafted answers and help clear each other’s doubts! Good luck 💖
Reply 1
Thank you for starting this thread. I think I'm ok with most of the content. However, I am having some problems with the poems You Will Know When You Get There and Afternoon with Irish Cows. I would appreciate any help I can get on those.
Original post by avocadosushi
Hello! I noticed that there weren’t any discussions taking place on this topic. I find Literature beautiful but so many themes in our stories are recurring and confusing. I know it might sound stupid but I like to remember them in the format of songs or short skits in my head to get a generalised summary of them :smile:

Don’t forget to introduce yourselves and get straight into discussing areas where you have problems. For my school’s literature, we’re doing the following:
1) Songs of Ourselves (Anthology of Poems)
2) Stories of Ourselves (Anthology of Stories)
3) Play 1: A View from the Bridge by Arthur Miller
4) Play 2: A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry

Frankly speaking, I find The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allen Poe the toughest. His language is far from colloquial and is entrancing but THERES SO MUCH TO ANALYSE IN-DEPTH! 😞

Here’s to hoping that we can engage in productive discussion, share any drafted answers and help clear each other’s doubts! Good luck 💖

Im doing Macbeth, The Secret River and A Raisin in the Sun and 15 poems which include Afternoon with Irish Cows, Caged Skylark etc
i really need to practice analysis! do u have any tips?
Reply 3
Same here

Original post by arianasamantha
Im doing Macbeth, The Secret River and A Raisin in the Sun and 15 poems which include Afternoon with Irish Cows, Caged Skylark etc
I'm doing Songs of Ourselves Vol.1 Part 5, Hard Times, Macbeth and A Raisin in the Sun. I haven't found many practice questions but in the Learner Guide, they say that essay questions will be about characters, themes or settings, so I would just write essays on each character and theme, as well as the setting. Extract questions will be about how the writer uses language to convey a certain feeling or create a certain effect. What I have done is picked out important passages (from prose and plays) and annotated them as much as possible, then write a full analysis using all my notes. They certainly aren't neat but it helps to just write as much as you know. I did the same for poetry. You don't have to time it at first, just focus on writing the best essay possible, then start trying to get it all done in the time.
Let me know if you want some revision guides because I know of quite a few.
(And you're lucky you aren't doing Hard Times. I love lit but Dickens is a nIGHTMARE to study)
Original post by arianasamantha
HIiii! I'm also doing CIE IGCSE series for English Lit,
I'm studying Gillian Clarke's 15 poems, A View From the Bridge by Arthur Miller for the play, and finally, My Antonia for the novel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending