The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Rejected by St Andrews?

So I got rejected by St Andrews about a month ago for Theoretical Physics and I'm curious about why I could have been rejected? I got full UMS in my double maths and physics AS, so I don't know how else I could have strengthened my application.

They thought that I was an EU student though, which I've been told could be part of it. I probably wouldn't have firmed them anyway, but I'm just curious...
Reply 1
Ask them.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by Haider_A
Ask them.

Would they still reply this late after the decision?
Original post by Mabey
So I got rejected by St Andrews about a month ago for Theoretical Physics and I'm curious about why I could have been rejected? I got full UMS in my double maths and physics AS, so I don't know how else I could have strengthened my application.

They thought that I was an EU student though, which I've been told could be part of it. I probably wouldn't have firmed them anyway, but I'm just curious...

Scottish unis do have a quota for scottish/EU students due to government funding. St Andrews is also a reasonably popular/competitive uni.

It sounds like your AS grades were good, but did you meet the requirements at GCSE? Did someone familiar with the UK application system help you with your PS? Do you think you had a strong reference?

I agree, you could ask them for feedback, but it will probably be fairly general.
Original post by Mabey
Would they still reply this late after the decision?

How much do you like St. Andrews? Do you have any other offers?
I wouldn’t try to worry over this. Having been in a similar position, it’s better to move on. Trying to worry over this (it’s already been a month) will distract you from your other unis. St Andrews made their decision and while it’s difficult to understand their motive, it’s better for you to respect that.

Nice Persona pic too :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Scottish unis do have a quota for scottish/EU students due to government funding. St Andrews is also a reasonably popular/competitive uni.

It sounds like your AS grades were good, but did you meet the requirements at GCSE? Did someone familiar with the UK application system help you with your PS? Do you think you had a strong reference?

I agree, you could ask them for feedback, but it will probably be fairly general.

I definitely made the GCSE requirements. My head of year(welsh school) did my reference and helped me with my PS. He does all of the Oxbridge applications so I don't think it was the reference. I think from what you said it might be the quota and the PS then.
Original post by Mabey
I definitely made the GCSE requirements. My head of year(welsh school) did my reference and helped me with my PS. He does all of the Oxbridge applications so I don't think it was the reference. I think from what you said it might be the quota and the PS then.

If you live in Wales, you don't count as an EU student for funding purposes. That only applies to people who live outside of the UK. It sounds like they made a mistake with your application, so personally I would be contacting them for clarification.

Is it possible your application could have got confused with another student's?
Reply 7
If you live in Wales, you don't count as an EU student for funding purposes. That only applies to people who live outside of the UK. It sounds like they made a mistake with your application, so personally I would be contacting them for clarification.

Is it possible your application could have got confused with another student's?

I was born in southern Ireland but I only lived there for a couple of months and I've lived in wales the large majority of my life, so maybe they have made a mistake( I don't think this qualifies for EU fees). I've just sent them an email asking for feedback so I'll be interested to here what they have to say...
Original post by Mabey
I was born in southern Ireland but I only lived there for a couple of months and I've lived in wales the large majority of my life, so maybe they have made a mistake( I don't think this qualifies for EU fees). I've just sent them an email asking for feedback so I'll be interested to here what they have to say...

Yeah, it's based on residency not place of birth/citizenship, so if you've lived in Wales for the last 3 years, they have got things wrong.

If you get a vague email in reply (very possible) I'd push for more info on how you were classified and if a mistake was made- although only if you can be bothered as it doesn't sound like you desperately want the place?
Original post by Mabey

Lots of people make this mistake, but just because something is good for Oxford and Cambridge doesn't mean it's what other universities are looking for.
Yeah, it's based on residency not place of birth/citizenship, so if you've lived in Wales for the last 3 years, they have got things wrong.

If you get a vague email in reply (very possible) I'd push for more info on how you were classified and if a mistake was made- although only if you can be bothered as it doesn't sound like you desperately want the place?

Woah woah. Do *not* tell people that universities have got fee statuses wrong. It's an incredibly complex thing that is *not* done purely on residence, it also includes things like dual nationality, parents’ EU nationality, temporary residence linked to parents’ employment, or right of movement in another EU member state.

There's no harm in telling people to enquire whether the correct decision has been made, but telling them that the uni has got it wrong is giving them false hope that the uni will change their fee status.
Reply 11

I'm Northern Irish. Never lived a day in the South. Have an Irish passport. St Andrews classed me as EU because of that. 2 other Scottish unis didn't. It's up to the universities.
Original post by Airmed
I'm Northern Irish. Never lived a day in the South. Have an Irish passport. St Andrews classed me as EU because of that. 2 other Scottish unis didn't. It's up to the universities.

I think this is more of a grey area, compared to OP being resident in Wales.
Original post by la_banane_verte
Woah woah. Do *not* tell people that universities have got fee statuses wrong. It's an incredibly complex thing that is *not* done purely on residence, it also includes things like dual nationality, parents’ EU nationality, temporary residence linked to parents’ employment, or right of movement in another EU member state.

There's no harm in telling people to enquire whether the correct decision has been made, but telling them that the uni has got it wrong is giving them false hope that the uni will change their fee status.

Whilst there are more complicated situations, if you've been resident in the same place for the last 3 years, it's not complex and your fee status is fairly simple. There's a much more detailed explanation here:
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status

Would you care to provide a link explaining why it's always so complex?

In this case, OP would be liable for full fees, rather than a free education so I don't really think I'm giving false hope. They also don't have an offer
Are you under 18 or over? Are you and your parents UK nationals or Citizens of Ireland? Was the reason for living in Wales your education or for your parents employment? Lots of things are taken into account when deciding fee status.

Surely, if you believed they had given you the wrong status, you should have questioned it sooner and not now try and use it now as a way of justifying, or challenging, your rejection.

Sorry to say this, you could go around and around debating the rights and wrongs of your fee status, but the simple fact is that StA gets many more applications than places available and this time you were just unlucky.

The Scottish university system is different to that in England and Wales. Maybe other people had a P.S. more suited to StA. I dont know what subjects you're studyihg, but maybe they had better subject combinations (i.e. successful applicants may have science and humanity/essay based subject) who knows!

I don't mean to be unkind, but remember that you said you were unlikely to have firmed StA anyway, so why waste time worrying about something you can't change?
Whilst there are more complicated situations, if you've been resident in the same place for the last 3 years, it's not complex and your fee status is fairly simple. There's a much more detailed explanation here:
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status

Would you care to provide a link explaining why it's always so complex?

In this case, OP would be liable for full fees, rather than a free education so I don't really think I'm giving false hope. They also don't have an offer

That's the page for England. OP is talking about Scotland. Here's the Scotland page: https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Scotland-fee-status#layer-6057 . It's not as simple as "being resident for 3 years".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending