The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by caperata
Unwavering is right—.75, or 75%, of an hour is 45 minutes. But the error you're making is a step earlier than that: I'm assuming you're typing 13.25 7.5 into the calculator? If so, that won't work because hours/minutes and decimals aren't equivalent. In other words, the 25 in 13h 25min represents 25 out of 60 (the number of minutes in a whole hour), not 25 out of 100 as it does in the number 13.25.

The answer given in the book, 5h 35min, is correct, but to get there you need to subtract 7 and 50/60 from 13 and 25/60. This sounds complex, but you can quickly do it in your head by recognising that 7 hours and 50 minutes is 8 hours, minus 10 minutes. 13h 25min minus 8 hours is 5h 25min, plus 10 minutes gives you 5h 35min.

The upshot of this is that you can't really use the calculator for these kinds of questions: you need to practice quickly adding and subtracting numbers of minutes out of 60. (In addition to the method I've worked through above, you could try visualising a clock face and counting forwards or backwards: the questions nearly all stick to multiples of five minutes.)

That's very clear thanks a lot for your answer.
I spent lot of time doing these calculations:
(13+25/60) - (07+50/60)
Then times the decimal of the results by 60 to get the minutes again and it took me lots of time!
Thoughts on following medify scores (MOCK 5) and how they might compare to the actual UKCAT?
VR - 570 (21/44)
DM - 600-700 (16/29)
QR - 630 (20/36)
AR - 700 (39/55)
SJ - band 1

Improving from 1st medify mock I did (MOCK 1), which is good:
VR - 570
DM - 300-500
QR - 600
AR - 570
SJ - Band 2

Any advice for VR and QR would be great (had to guess most of VR and QR because I ran out of time).

Thanks.
I haven’t started revising for it yet, however I have heard that people who used medify got a lower score than what they originally thought, how r u finding it?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Chickenhead11
I haven’t started revising for it yet, however I have heard that people who used medify got a lower score than what they originally thought, how r u finding it?

Oh ok, that's good to hear.

VR: finding rushed for time to read through the longer reading comprehension passages. true/false/can't tell is ok tho.
QR: finding rushed for time to read through long tables
DM: a mixed-bag... the probability questions are quite hard. evaluating arguments is ok.
AR: hard when I started, ok now
SJ: all the questions are pretty much the same...

How bout yourself?
Reply 24
ive heard that medify is harder for AR and easier for VR, thats not quantifiable though

i really liked the kaplan book as it explained the techniques really well
I’m not a quick reader. So for VR I skipped all the questions that weren’t True, False, Can’t decide. Because they’re just one statement and it’s quicker to decide on which applies to that statement. After doing all them I went back to the multiple statement ones and tried to spread my time evenly.Also focus on key word searching. Dates, and years make great key words. Just scan the document and I’d read a sentence before and after the one that had the key word in. Served me well.
Hi Guys

Took the UKCAT last year got a score of 705:
VR - 600
DM - 800
QR - 730
AR - 690

Resources Used: 1250 UKCAT Book, Kaplan, Youtube and Medify
Time: 2 Months
Starting Med in September.
Tips:
1. VR is the hardest section by far, this section is all about how you prepare. Practice your techniques and in my opinion only read the question and skim the text for the section and find the answer. DO NOT READ THE ENTIRE PASSAGE.
2. DM I practiced using the 1250 book and medify. I spent the most time preparing on this section and the most important takeaway is understand the differences between some, all, most etc...
3. QR is the most straightforward, simple maths. Only hard part is finishing the section. (Left 2 Qs Blank)
4. AR this section is the one i started with as its about building up a bank of patterns and being able to recognize them once you have seen them before. Used the 1250 book, Kaplan and Medify.
5. Band 2 --> I think the SJT is really luck dependent on if you get band 1 or 2. But enough familiarization with the scenarios should be good enough. Easiest section by far.
Original post by Browndood
Hi Guys

Took the UKCAT last year got a score of 705:
VR - 600
DM - 800
QR - 730
AR - 690

Resources Used: 1250 UKCAT Book, Kaplan, Youtube and Medify
Time: 2 Months
Starting Med in September.
Tips:
1. VR is the hardest section by far, this section is all about how you prepare. Practice your techniques and in my opinion only read the question and skim the text for the section and find the answer. DO NOT READ THE ENTIRE PASSAGE.
2. DM I practiced using the 1250 book and medify. I spent the most time preparing on this section and the most important takeaway is understand the differences between some, all, most etc...
3. QR is the most straightforward, simple maths. Only hard part is finishing the section. (Left 2 Qs Blank)
4. AR this section is the one i started with as its about building up a bank of patterns and being able to recognize them once you have seen them before. Used the 1250 book, Kaplan and Medify.
5. Band 2 --> I think the SJT is really luck dependent on if you get band 1 or 2. But enough familiarization with the scenarios should be good enough. Easiest section by far.

Was QR easier on the exam like past ucat sitters say? I'm finding the medify questions pretty hard (cause of all the information given that isn't relevant)!

Also, do you have advice for those probability questions in decision making (what would be the best resource to prep for that)?
Is it too early to revise for it tho? Or are you just doing it now to get an idea of what’s to come?
Original post by d0nkey_dude
Is it too early to revise for it tho? Or are you just doing it now to get an idea of what’s to come?

Just getting an idea -- not any serious revision yet.
For the most part medify accurately represented the difficulty, but there were more "easy ones" on the actual exam but that maybe just the luck of the draw.
Kaplan i think go through the probability sections quite well but there is no specific strategy. Take time and understand your mistakes rather than brushing it under the rug and assuming you will get it right in the exam.
The medify probability was on the easier side from what i remember.
Original post by ohyehyeh
Was QR easier on the exam like past ucat sitters say? I'm finding the medify questions pretty hard (cause of all the information given that isn't relevant)!

Also, do you have advice for those probability questions in decision making (what would be the best resource to prep for that)?
(edited 5 years ago)
Hello, I wondered if anybody knew of great resources or general tips for how to prepare for the ukcat, thank you for your suggestions!
Reply 32
I was looking into which one to purchase to help prepare for the UCAT I'm planning to take mine somewhere in the end of August. I'm looking for the one that has in depth video tutorials on how to answer questions as well as a lot of practice. But online I couldn't find anyone that explained how effective the video tutorials actually are. (which is what I mainly want as I know you can find a lot of free practice online anyway)

Which do you guys recommend if you have used one yourself, or how do you plan on preparing for the 2019 entry?

Any advice is appreciated
Tbh, I don't really think your problem will be not knowing how to answer the questions. Most are pretty straightforward (apart from abstract reasoning tbh) and obvious (definitely when you get given the answer).
The time limit is really the hard bit about it
Moved to Medicine where you're more likely to get a reply :smile:
Original post by elle439
I aim to apply to medical school this year, but obviously I need to take an admissions test, I've looked at the UKCAT just now and it looks ridiculously hard, I struggle with problem solving and quick thinking. Does anyone have any tips?
I have my UCAT in July so I've started doing questions. The time restricitons are insane but so far I feel like I can manage. Already I can see myself improving in AR but I am really struggling in QR time wise. What are people's advise or tactics for QR to make them go faster.
Thanks
Reply 36
Honestly, just practice. I know this isn’t very good advice but I would spend hours just on QR. You’ll find sooner or later that there are certain types of questions (like a lot of VAT and percentage based questions), and those are pretty much the only ones you see on the actual exam. The more you practice, the more prepared you’ll be and tbh there aren’t an surprises on the exam if you practice. I really recommend Medify, I found it very similar to the actual exam and it improved my score from literally in the low 500’s to 870 so if it’s in your budget, it’s a good one to you!
Reply 37
does anyone know if the calculator in the real UCAT exam has +, -, *, / functions as keyboard shortcuts from the numpad? Can answers be erased using backspace and will the calculator be on the same screen or on a different tab once openend? (i.e. will the calculator be similar to the one on the medify software)? It states on the website that he ucat practice exam calculator is different from the real exam.
Hi everyone I’ve made this thread for undergraduates and postgraduates Who will be taking the UCAT 2019 :smile:
gotta click it all (at least I had to 2 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending