The Student Room Group

Should I retake Year 12 Maths or redo sixth form

This is long but please hear me out because I'm stressing:

I've just started Year 13. I was allowed to do 2 A Levels (Biology and French) but I'm not allowed to continue with Maths and resit it later on or with Chemistry (reformed). I have been performing poorly throughout year 12 and I really wanted to finish on time with my 3 full A Levels but it won't be possible according to my school.

I even asked about paying to do the Maths exams else where next year summer but they have advised me not to because its so much work.

They have been directing me into redoing Year 12 again and going on to Year 13. They've put me on the course to do Biology, Health and Social Care and Medical Science. I want to do mental health nursing at university. But will they even take me if I have stayed an extra year? I know for medicine and dentistry they won't even consider. But I'm doing mental health nurse and my sixth form advisor hasn't been clear if they actually will take me and has just shown me the grades that are needed.

My dad is calling the school about it as he thinks if they are going to grade Chemistry on what results you produce at the end of 2 years, why drop me from the course when people will E's are allowed to continue. He also asked, how those people with E's and D's will even get into university with grades that low as the school is 'supposedly' refusing to raise students grades.

Our whole sixth form did bad as a whole. For example in Chemistry, A2 students now have 3 teachers instead of 2. 2 of them will teach the content whilst the other will teach the students how to answer exam questions. My chemistry teacher wasn't the best at explaining and I was too ashamed to ask other Chemistry teachers for help since I was new in the school and I didn't know them at all. But that's a fault on my part.

So should I carry on with A Levels with Biology, French and Maths Year 12 and finish with an AS or should I redo the whole year.

I got EEUU by the way. I know, very awful.
Original post by 1Dudette4Ever
This is long but please hear me out because I'm stressing:

I've just started Year 13. I was allowed to do 2 A Levels (Biology and French) but I'm not allowed to continue with Maths and resit it later on or with Chemistry (reformed). I have been performing poorly throughout year 12 and I really wanted to finish on time with my 3 full A Levels but it won't be possible according to my school.

I even asked about paying to do the Maths exams else where next year summer but they have advised me not to because its so much work.

They have been directing me into redoing Year 12 again and going on to Year 13. They've put me on the course to do Biology, Health and Social Care and Medical Science. I want to do mental health nursing at university. But will they even take me if I have stayed an extra year? I know for medicine and dentistry they won't even consider. But I'm doing mental health nurse and my sixth form advisor hasn't been clear if they actually will take me and has just shown me the grades that are needed.

My dad is calling the school about it as he thinks if they are going to grade Chemistry on what results you produce at the end of 2 years, why drop me from the course when people will E's are allowed to continue. He also asked, how those people with E's and D's will even get into university with grades that low as the school is 'supposedly' refusing to raise students grades.

Our whole sixth form did bad as a whole. For example in Chemistry, A2 students now have 3 teachers instead of 2. 2 of them will teach the content whilst the other will teach the students how to answer exam questions. My chemistry teacher wasn't the best at explaining and I was too ashamed to ask other Chemistry teachers for help since I was new in the school and I didn't know them at all. But that's a fault on my part.

So should I carry on with A Levels with Biology, French and Maths Year 12 and finish with an AS or should I redo the whole year.

I got EEUU by the way. I know, very awful.

1. REDO the year 100%

2. If you carry on the way you are then the chances are you will fail, unless you have a massive turnaround in the way you study. Then you wont get into uni and be unhappy and will be heading back to college anyway. Your dads point is misguided ofc you could become an A* student, but unlikely as you have a poor understanding of year 12 material so it makes it less likely you will do well at Y13. His other question is that those with Ds and Es will have to apply to much lower unis and they will struggle to get offers. What they will do is wait till they have actual results then o through clearing with better actual grades.

3. If you carry on in year 13 you are unlikely to have sufficient other qualifications to get you on the course you want.

4. You should be grateful to your school for offering you the chance to retake the year as many others kick their students out.

5.The courses picked should be fine to get you on any mental health nursing degree if you do well enough. They wont mind about extra year, thats just for medicine and a few other professions.

6. If you dont like your school or dont trust them then find another or go to college. You might find that difficult though. You are going to have to work harder and practice exams. if theres things you dont understand then maybe get a tutor if you can afford it.

7. Read the entrance requirements, do some research and contact the unis to reassure yourself. Then get the grades,

Sometimes you have to be realistic about where you are heading and make some better choices that are more likely to get you where you want. You have major work to do in Biology if you want to make the grade.

Examples to show the new subjects you meet the requirements.

Nottingham
A levels A levels are required at grades ABB with at least one being biology, chemistry, physics, physical education, psychology or sociology. General studies will not be accepted.

Leeds
Entry requirements A-level: BBB preferably including a science subject (biology, human biology, chemistry, maths, physics or social sciences, such as psychology). Not general studies or critical thinking.

GCSE: 5 A*-C, including maths and English and 2 science subjects

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (QCF): Distinction/Distinction/Distinction in: Health and Social Care (Health Sciences); Health and Social Care (Health Studies). All BTEC modules must be listed on your UCAS form or else your application will be rejected.

Southampton
GCSE GCSE Maths and English Language (A*-C or 4-9) or IELTS 7.0 (with no component below 7). GCSE Science (A*-C or 4-9) also required if not offered as a level 3 qualification. Certain GCSE equivalent qualifications will be considered.

GCE A-level BBB, preferably including a science or social science subject.

BTEC BTEC Extended Diploma Health & Social Care (D*DD). BTEC Diploma and
BTEC Subsidiary Diploma will be considered when offered in combination with other relevant qualifications.

De Montford

A levels A minimum of 112 UCAS points from a minimum of two A levels including at least two subjects at a grade C or above (excluding General Studies, key skills and music exams)

BTEC National Diploma - BTEC normally in Health and Social Care or Applied Science at Distinction/Merit/Merit

The truth is except for your parents then nobody cares whether you pass or fail, which is why you have to fight for yourself and your own future. I would rate your chances as v poor if you go into year 13, but better if you redo year 12 and changed your approach. The important thing is to get into uni and a retake as above is your best shot. neither you nor your dad understand how it works properly.
Reply 2
I want to repeat my year 12 because I just got CUU in my mock and my public exams are in the next 2 weeks. I’m currently doing Maths,Bio,Chem and Maths is the only one I’m seen to be doin good at right now. I’ve been granted to repeat year 12 .My question is how can I repeat year 12 in other schools because I just don’t want to be in the same year as my brother and my friends a year ahead of me and it will just reduce morals.
did you get a response? I'm in the same situation as you
did you get a response? I'm currently in the same situation as you
Original post by MGhost
I want to repeat my year 12 because I just got CUU in my mock and my public exams are in the next 2 weeks. I’m currently doing Maths,Bio,Chem and Maths is the only one I’m seen to be doin good at right now. I’ve been granted to repeat year 12 .My question is how can I repeat year 12 in other schools because I just don’t want to be in the same year as my brother and my friends a year ahead of me and it will just reduce morals.

Quick Reply

Latest