The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by hugebrain
What advice do you have for keeping your teeth healthy?

Brush 3 times a day for 2 mins each time using an electric tooth brush and a fluoride toothpaste.
Floss at least once a week, preferably daily.
Make sure you attend regular 6/12 monthly appointments for check ups at the dentist.

Original post by jxdx
How much do you need to know about the NHS and dentistry, in order to do well in interviews?

Not very much at all

Original post by jxdx
What's the best and worst part of studying dentistry?
What's the best and worst part of being a dentist?

Best part is doing the Dentistry , worst part is the lectures are boring as hell
Best part is doing the Dentistry , worst part is the patients who cannot afford to pay for treatment they need and you end up feeling sorry for them but can't help them either.

Original post by the bear
Do you believe in the Tooth Fairy ?

:holmes:

No, but the kids I see do!

Original post by JoshDarnIt
Why do you guys like prodding my teeth with your pointy thing? I never agreed to be prodded with long objects -_-

That is called a Basic Periodontal Examination probe. It is used to measure the pocket depth of gums surrounding your teeth to check if your gums are healthy. Usually, your dentist should explain to you what they are going to do, but I think a lot of dentists don't because we assume that the patient knows what a check-up includes. You can always request for the probing to not be carried out if you wish, though I do not recommend you do this as it is a vital part of the check up.

Original post by motivatedmadman
What grades did you get at GCSE and A-Level?

GCSE: 2A* 5A's 3B's
A-level: 4A's
Reply 41
Original post by Democracy
I mean, 2 is basically the American definition of the term isn't it? Which is why you get naturopaths referring to themselves as "doctor".

Dentists are pretty clearly surgeons - the degree is a BDS and the majority of treatment is surgical. I think what's happened is that the internationally qualified ones receieved the doctor title on graduation (?they receieved a DDS) and now it seems to have rubbed off on the UK grads :p:

Which is ironic because you'd never catch a UK trained MRCS/FRCS surgeon referring to themselves as doctor.

Tbh I'm not really bothered whether I'm called a Doctor or a Surgeon. I introduce myself to my patients with my first name.
However, I do agree with both definition 1 and 2 as I think that anyone who is qualified to treat people can be referred to as a doctor.
Reply 42
Original post by Resonance234
Hi, this question is kind of negative no offense intended and you do not need to answer.

When was the last time you accidentally messed up or botched up a procedure? This happened to me as a patient.. How do doctors and medicine staff stay sharp and how many times do they cover up their mistakes? How would I be able to trust dentists?

Secondly (Please do answer this one!)

What is the link between oral hygiene, oral health and mental health (Im really interested in this one)?

I have never messed up any procedure. No professional should cover up any error, rather they should be honest and inform the patient of what's happened and what the options are going forward.

Good oral health = good oral health.
The link between oral hygiene/health and mental health is not strong. However, it is common for people with poor mental health to neglect their oral hygiene

Original post by NotNotBatman
I've never been to the dentist in my entire life; is there any point of me going to one?

Yes, there could be problems that you are not aware of, until they cause you pain/infection which by that stage the tooth may or may not have a favourable prognosis. Generally speaking, if you are keeping your teeth and gums clean and maintaining good oral hygiene, then you should be fine.

Original post by ShibShabShob
Hi. Out of curiosity, what does it mean when dentists say random numbers and letters when checking up on teeth? Thanks

Depends what the 'random numbers and letters' are. I'm assuming you are referring to when the Dentist is recording a basic periodontal score. The numbers refer to the condition of the gums, divided in to 6 sextants, where each sextant has it's own recording. A code of 0 means 'no concern'. A code of 1 means 'there is bleeding present', a code of 2 means 'there is plaque/tartar present with or without bleeding', a code of 3 means there is a pocket greater than 3.5mm but less than 5.5mm with or without bleeding and with or without plaque/tartar. A code 4 means pocket greater than 5.5mm.

The letters are probably LR or LL or UL or UR, meaning Lower right, Lower left, Upper left, or Upper right when referring to quadrant of teeth.
for e.g, UR1 means upper right 1, where 1 means your central incisor. UR6 means upper right 6, where 6 is the first molar. similarly, UL6 means upper left 6 where 6 is the first molar.

Original post by darkmagician10
Why did you choose Dentistry and not Medicine?

That's like me asking you, why did you ask me why I chose dentistry and not medicine instead of asking me why I chose dentistry and not Computing or Drama or English. What's with that question? I don't get it.

Original post by RazzzBerries
What happens if you don't wear retainers for a few months? :lol:

Asking for a friend...

Your teeth can move.
Do you do a variety of treatments/check ups each day or is it usually the same things with a few one-off cases? And does it ever become tedious or do you always enjoy it?
Why are my teeth not white after using braces? -friend
one day I was eating a Rocky road and my tooth cracked so I waited a few days but last night I thought it would be better if you pulled it out so I pulled out my tooth there was quite a lot of blood but I think part of the nerve is still there what should I do?
dk if this has been asked before, but apart from professional treatments is there anything natural you can use to whiten teeth? (apart from the lemon one I wouldn't wana risk that)
Reply 47
Do you know which dental schools in the UK are less competitive to get in?
(as in less applied to)
Reply 48
Original post by lovescience2002
Do you do a variety of treatments/check ups each day or is it usually the same things with a few one-off cases? And does it ever become tedious or do you always enjoy it?

I usually do a variety of treatment., and yes I mostly enjoy what I do.
Original post by luxurideus
Why are my teeth not white after using braces? -friend

Braces do not whiten teeth

Dentistry is essentially a medical speciality but I think because there is so much to cover in Dentistry, it is taught separately from the outset.
Reply 49
Original post by SavageRyan
one day I was eating a Rocky road and my tooth cracked so I waited a few days but last night I thought it would be better if you pulled it out so I pulled out my tooth there was quite a lot of blood but I think part of the nerve is still there what should I do?

Book an appointment to see your dentist
Reply 50
Original post by justarosexo
dk if this has been asked before, but apart from professional treatments is there anything natural you can use to whiten teeth? (apart from the lemon one I wouldn't wana risk that)

Yes, you could use toothpastes that contain baking soda, though their effectiveness is probably not so good in the short term.
gcse grades and a level subjects?
Reply 52
Original post by jxdx
Do you know which dental schools in the UK are less competitive to get in?
(as in less applied to)

There is no such thing as a less competitive dental school. They're all very competitive unfortunately.

However, you may stand a better chance applying to schools that are in locations where most people will be less likely to want to go to.
Original post by DrTSR
Book an appointment to see your dentist

I have done do you know what might have happened to my tooth and what could the dentist do about it?
Have you ever been bitten :biggrin:
Reply 55
Original post by mpaprika
gcse grades and a level subjects?

GCSE: 2A* 5A 3B
A-level: 3A's
AS-level: 1B

Original post by SavageRyan
I have done do you know what might have happened to my tooth and what could the dentist do about it?

No way for me to know without having a look.
What was your main attraction point to dentistry, like what made you pick it over other courses like medicine, as im having that dilemma right now lol?
Reply 57
Original post by k.asd291
What was your main attraction point to dentistry, like what made you pick it over other courses like medicine, as im having that dilemma right now lol?

dentvsmed.png
Which uni did you study at?
Reply 59
what a levels did u pick and what degree course did u do? x

Latest