The Student Room Group

Dental Edition: Is This True?

My dentist recommended that I use an electric toothbrush, rather than a manual toothbrush. She also recommended that I floss my teeth, I have never flossed my teeth in my life and my local stores doesn't sell tooth floss. Should I follow the advice? Electric toothbrushes are expensive as heck.
Reply 1
Should you follow the advice of a qualified dental professional or random and primarily teenage strangers on an internet chat forum?

Let me think...:beard:
Reply 2
PS. Shop around, they aren't that expensive. And try TeePee brushes instead of floss.
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
Should you follow the advice of a qualified dental professional or random and primarily teenage strangers on an internet chat forum?

Let me think...:beard:

My life is a living h*ll I don't think I can make it any worse, I'm going to turn 20 in the next month, but my teeth looks like it belongs to an 8 year old, at least my dentist has removed my plaque.
Reply 4
Electric tooth bushes appear to be slightly better than manual, but you can make up for it with good manual technique and taking long enough. Flossing is a pain in the neck and I can only imagine the most diligent of people doing this every day or so. Even my dentist admitted he struggles to do it. Mind you he did then try to sell me a fancy water jet machine as an alternative. So keeping your teeth good is important, you need them for a long while, but I think you could get away with a manual tooth bush, twice daily thorough brushing and occasional flossing
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
My life is a living h*ll I don't think I can make it any worse, I'm going to turn 20 in the next month, but my teeth looks like it belongs to an 8 year old, at least my dentist has removed my plaque.

You can find floss in any pharmacy or supermarket. I personally am not a fan of electric brushes, but I'm sure your dentist recommended one for a reason - did you ask them why they have suggested using one? There are cheaper ones out there, they aren't all super expensive.
Reply 6
Original post by black tea
Well maybe if you followed your dentist's advice, your teeth wouldn't look like an 8-year-old's?

You can find floss in any pharmacy or supermarket. I personally am not a fan of electric brushes, but I'm sure your dentist recommended one for a reason - did you ask them why they have suggested using one? There are cheaper ones out there, they aren't all super expensive.

Are you stupid? My teeth looks like an 8-year-old because I have a small mouth, so some of my teeth partially erupted because of that, it has nothing to do with dental hygiene, I do brush my teeth on a regular basis, but I have never flossed, why don't you educate yourself? I don't think flossing would have made much of a significant difference, regardless. Do you really think using an electric toothbrush and dental flossing would have stopped my teeth look like an 8-year-old's?

By the way, they gave me this advice a couple of weeks ago, my teeth have always looked like an 8-year-old's, and that piece of advice is useful and it is helpful, but it won't stop my teeth looking like an 8-year-old's, Surnia was right, TSR is the worst place to ask for advice, especially from users like black tea.
Reply 7
Are you stupid? My teeth looks like an 8-year-old because I have a small mouth, so some of my teeth partially erupted because of that, it has nothing to do with dental hygiene, I do brush my teeth on a regular basis, but I have never flossed, why don't you educate yourself? I don't think flossing would have made much of a significant difference, regardless. Do you really think using an electric toothbrush and dental flossing would have stopped my teeth look like an 8-year-old's?

By the way, they gave me this advice a couple of weeks ago, my teeth have always looked like an 8-year-old's, and that piece of advice is useful and it is helpful, but it won't stop my teeth looking like an 8-year-old's, Surnia was right, TSR is the worst place to ask for advice, especially from users like black tea.

Mate, you literally said in your previous post that your dentist had to remove plaque from your teeth... So clearly there is an issue with dental hygiene.
I'm not a dentist and I haven't seen your teeth, but someone who has dental degree has made those suggestions to you, probably for a reason. You are welcome to ignore their advice, just like you are welcome to ignore the advice of anyone on here.
Reply 8
Mate, you literally said in your previous post that your dentist had to remove plaque from your teeth... So clearly there is an issue with dental hygiene.
I'm not a dentist and I haven't seen your teeth, but someone who has dental degree has made those suggestions to you, probably for a reason. You are welcome to ignore their advice, just like you are welcome to ignore the advice of anyone on here.

I haven't been to a dentist, since I was 14, I was obviously going to have some plaque, it was only a bit and it was in between my teeth, it's hard to remove plaque from in between your teeth, especially if you don't floss, but that's not the reason why I said my teeth looks like an 8-year-old.
Reply 9
I haven't been to a dentist, since I was 14, I was obviously going to have some plaque, it was only a bit and it was in between my teeth, it's hard to remove plaque from in between your teeth, especially if you don't floss, but that's not the reason why I said my teeth looks like an 8-year-old.

then flossing would clearly make sense...
Reply 10
then flossing would clearly make sense...

Yeah, I was already there before you.

I am going to get tooth floss at my local ASDA, if they have any, and some mouth wash. My dentist said if I had inflammation, so maybe I should lay off the mouth wash.
Reply 11
Well its not exactly going to result in you losing all your teeth if you dont by a high end electric tooth brush but a decent one is what, like $40? not too bad.

Quick Reply

Latest