The Student Room Group

A Level Edexcel Geography Help 😭

Hi, I'm in year 1 of A Level geography, and for my first mock in Christmas I got an E. I'm worried that I won't get a high enough grade to be predicted a B or A, and I just wanted advice to hopefully help me boost my grade up with revision etc. I also do Maths and Physics, I'm getting A*s in maths, and Bs in physics. I'm unfamiliar with very wordy subjects, but I really like learning the content for geography. Any advice?
Hi,
Im in my second year of Alevels and spent the majority of my first year getting grades ranging from an A to an E but didnt understand why. In my end of year one exams i managed to get a B in geography.

This year I got a new teacher who has helped explain the layout of the exam questions to boost your marks and now on all of the 12 markers im getting 10 or 11 out of 12.

If you would like any help on how to lay out the questions im happy to help as its the best thing to boost your grade.
Original post by mialcurtis
Hi,
Im in my second year of Alevels and spent the majority of my first year getting grades ranging from an A to an E but didnt understand why. In my end of year one exams i managed to get a B in geography.

This year I got a new teacher who has helped explain the layout of the exam questions to boost your marks and now on all of the 12 markers im getting 10 or 11 out of 12.

If you would like any help on how to lay out the questions im happy to help as its the best thing to boost your grade.

Hey, could you share the layout for the questions please, and is it just for 12 markers or for 20 markers a well?
Hey, i know the structure best for a 12 marker (I got 11/12 for my mock last week, i dropped a mark by not being exact enough with one of my pieces of evidence) but im not quite as good at 20 markers (got 14/20) but im happy to share what i do know for the 20markers with you.

For the 12 markers"
Intro: definition of a key term in the question and a short summary of what you will say in each paragraph.
For each para:
P: point, so what you are overall going to say in this para
E: explain why this thing is important or not
E: provide evidence, its best to include statistics and a named example
C: overall little conclusion about it
H: a however point, so contradict what you just said for the highest marks.

Then repeat this 3 times for a 12marker, and theres no need for a conclusion.
For an assess question make sure you rank the things in order. So start the first para the most important factor is.... then the second para the second most important factor is... ect.

Hope this helped let me know if you do want one for the 20 marker.
Original post by primachia
Hey, could you share the layout for the questions please, and is it just for 12 markers or for 20 markers a well?
Could u do one for the 20 marker as well?

Hey, i know the structure best for a 12 marker (I got 11/12 for my mock last week, i dropped a mark by not being exact enough with one of my pieces of evidence) but im not quite as good at 20 markers (got 14/20) but im happy to share what i do know for the 20markers with you.

For the 12 markers"
Intro: definition of a key term in the question and a short summary of what you will say in each paragraph.
For each para:

For an assess question make sure you rank the things in order. So start the first para the most important factor is.... then the second para the second most important factor is... ect.

For the 12 markers"
For each para:

Hey! I've been using this in revision and it's been quite helpful, could you write out what you know for the 20 marker? Now I'm struggling with those 😭
Yeah of course, i tend to struggle more with these.

Intro: always do a definition and explain what keys things you will talk about

Now for your paragraphs try to separate them into things such as social, environmental and economic or long term and short term or regional, national global ect.
Then attempt to do 75% your argument and 25% counter-argument.
Make sure for each paragraph you include:
P: point
E : evidence
E: explain
C: conclusion/ counterarguemt

i would recomened three- four paragraphs in the body of your essay.

YOU NEED A CONCLUSION to get into top marks.
In it include your argument, a small counter argument, then maybe an alternative (for example if talking about soft engineering say hard could be better)

Hope this helped
Original post by Revisingllama
Hey! I've been using this in revision and it's been quite helpful, could you write out what you know for the 20 marker? Now I'm struggling with those 😭

Now for your paragraphs try to separate them into things such as social, environmental and economic or long term and short term or regional, national global ect.

In it include your argument, a small counter argument, then maybe an alternative (for example if talking about soft engineering say hard could be better)

Hope this helped
Original post by Revisingllama
Thank you so much! Lifesaver 😭
hey guys any idea on what came up for the 2019 As geography paper
Evaluate the threats for lowland coastal areas arising from future sea-level rise (20)
hey do you how to answer this question
I'm finding it hard

Hope this helped
Reply 11
hey did this 20 marker question come up in the AS?
and do you have any predictions for
paper 1
tectonics
coasts
carbon cycle
water cycle

paper 2
globalisation
regeneration
health and human rights
superpowers

Original post by thilly27
Evaluate the threats for lowland coastal areas arising from future sea-level rise (20)
hey do you how to answer this question
I'm finding it hard
nope , I found this in my book
but maybe something on sea level rise
and modification of hazard may come up
but I'm not entirely sure
but do you have any idea one how to answer this question
Original post by Mk5455
hey did this 20 marker question come up in the AS?
and do you have any predictions for
paper 1
tectonics
coasts
carbon cycle
water cycle

paper 2
globalisation
regeneration
health and human rights
superpowers
Reply 13
no I actually have no idea thank you I haven't even revised coasts
Reply 14
how do you know sea level rise could come up
Reply 15
does anyone know how much marks we need to get an A or a B in paper 1 an 2
Original post by Mk5455
how do you know sea level rise could come up

I checked all papers including the SAMS
So far
lithology has come up (2016) As
marine erosion and tectonics forces have come up
sustainable management come up ( 2017) AS
climate change and flood risk has come up ( my teacher showed one of the SAMS paper that we dent have access to)
erosion threats have come up in the As papers
hard management came up last year (2018)

so something to do with
sea level rise
isostatic or eustatic changes
Reply 17
Has anyone fully memorised the content and case studies yet?
Hi,

It would be great if you could post a layout of how to approach a 12 marker, i am in my first year of A levels studying edexcell geography, i got a D in my last moc :frown:
Nope, legit done about 2 hours for human and more for physical but still need to memorise facts ;/
Original post by rss111
Has anyone fully memorised the content and case studies yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending