The Student Room Group

A level maths in one year

So I made the dumb decision not to do A level maths at the start of year 12 but then I realised I need it for the university courses I want to do.
My school has allowed me to complete the whole a level in one year in year 13 but have warned me about how much work it will be. If i self teach all of AS over the summer in preparation for September 2019, would it be possible to still achieve an A/A* in maths? Thank youuuuu!!
Original post by sopxia
So I made the dumb decision not to do A level maths at the start of year 12 but then I realised I need it for the university courses I want to do.
My school has allowed me to complete the whole a level in one year in year 13 but have warned me about how much work it will be. If i self teach all of AS over the summer in preparation for September 2019, would it be possible to still achieve an A/A* in maths? Thank youuuuu!!

Possible? Yes, if you work hard enough, have an aptitude for maths, are able to effectively self study and get the support you need.
Likely? Impossible to guess as I don't know anything about your aptitude for maths........etc
It's a very good sign that your school has agreed to support your attempt to do it, they have faith in your ability to achieve your goal and know a lot more about you than I do.
Make sure you balance your maths effort with your work on other subjects, no point getting a great maths grade if it's at the expense of bad results in the rest of your subjects.
Reply 2
Thank you for the response !! I find maths relatively okay as long as I understand the concepts and know how to do a question
Original post by gdunne42
Possible? Yes, if you work hard enough, have an aptitude for maths, are able to effectively self study and get the support you need.
Likely? Impossible to guess as I don't know anything about your aptitude for maths........etc
It's a very good sign that your school has agreed to support your attempt to do it, they have faith in your ability to achieve your goal and know a lot more about you than I do.
Make sure you balance your maths effort with your work on other subjects, no point getting a great maths grade if it's at the expense of bad results in the rest of your subjects.
What course are you planning to study?

Original post by sopxia
Original post by sopxia

My school teaches the further maths students normal maths in year 1 and then they do their Alevel at the end of year 12, so it’s entirely possible. 7 people did it last year and there were 5A’s 1B and one A*, if you are comfortable with maths you can do it. Also AS maths is pretty easy if you can get your head around it😁
Reply 5
Original post by ethancruise15
What course are you planning to study?

Chemical engineering
Reply 6
I will be sitting with a further maths year 12 class aswell. Thank you for the help, it restored my faith loool ☺️
I find maths fine if I get enough practice in
Original post by Sam snake
My school teaches the further maths students normal maths in year 1 and then they do their Alevel at the end of year 12, so it’s entirely possible. 7 people did it last year and there were 5A’s 1B and one A*, if you are comfortable with maths you can do it. Also AS maths is pretty easy if you can get your head around it😁
Easily doable , what did you get for maths gcse?
Original post by sopxia
I will be sitting with a further maths year 12 class aswell. Thank you for the help, it restored my faith loool ☺️
I find maths fine if I get enough practice in

Well I’m sure if you work hard enough you’ll get the grades😁 Good luck!
Reply 9
7, 3 marks from an 8 😩
Original post by Pepsey
Easily doable , what did you get for maths gcse?
Original post by sopxia
7, 3 marks from an 8 😩

Still good! I got an A in gcse maths , then managed to get an A* in Maths! And now I'm doing a maths degree lol so yeah go for it!
Reply 11
Thank you! Wow an A* in maths. How did you revise if you don’t mind ☺️
Original post by Pepsey
Still good! I got an A in gcse maths , then managed to get an A* in Maths! And now I'm doing a maths degree lol so yeah go for it!
Original post by sopxia
Thank you! Wow an A* in maths. How did you revise if you don’t mind ☺️

Just do a **** ton of past papers! Like that's literally it
Reply 13
Thank you willlll deffo be doing loads :smile:
Original post by Pepsey
Reply 14
Thank you willlll deffo be doing loads :smile:
Original post by Pepsey

Quick Reply