The Student Room Group

UNOFFICIAL Mark Scheme Edexcel MicroEconomics 9EC0-1 Paper 1 20 May 2019

Scroll to see replies

You've missed the multi choice on demergers?
Original post by joelwalters0
Unofficial, feel free to add, as cant remember everything
SECTION A
-Elasticity of supply 3.9?
-Relatively elastic
-Oil shortage supply shifts left
- monopolistic competition LR AC must touch tangent of AR
- PES of housing market - time, substitutability?
- Division of labour advantage - workers' skill levels
-58/59 million total costs?
-free market operates through price mechanism, market forces, invisible hand
-Karl Marx criticises privately owned resources

SECTION B
5 marker:
Definition for positive and normative statements, give examples of each from extract A and explain why each one is either positive or normative

8 marker two benefits of integration to consumers
Wider choice - ‘variety’
Cheaper products as ‘value bundles’
Potentially firms EoS leading to cheaper prices in log term

10 marker consumer behaviour
Consumer computation (elderly)
Consumer inertia
Habitual behaviour
However information gaps will be provided and the reason may not be consumer behaviour but because there is little incentive to change when you are elderly as you don’t need the alternative.

12 marker reasons for profits of BT
Integration gives EoS and so on
Price making power following rise in market share - ‘price leader’ and ‘other firms follow suit’ - showing degree of tacit collusion taking place (which is an informal collusion when other firms react to the actions of another firm) which shows interdependence between firms. Use C+R diagram showing the SNP’s made at PM point.
Also potentially their brand loyalty
also lowered average costs so could also do a CR diagram with AC shifting down
However (Ev) can use kinked demand curve to show theory behind oligopolies and how if BT raise price it is unlikely that other firms will follow suit but if they lower price they will, meaning their price making power is not a determinant of their profits, and also other methods may determine their profitability such as brand image, and they may be investigated by regulators limiting long term profitability

15 marker intervention
Price cap
Information provision
—> surrogate for competition
However implications of both on profitability and lack of long term innovation thus damaging consumers

SECTION C
25 marker wage rates
-High skilled vs low skilled e.g. doctors vs nurses
-Inelastic supply of labour e.g. CEOs vs average worker
-Trade unions pushing up wages

Eval
-Pay caps in public sector meaning people get paid less than in private even if more skilled
-Gender pay gap, women get limited promotions keeping them on lower pay
-Trade unions have little impact on pay except in the pubic sector

25 marker Collusion reasons
point 1: Profitability, Dynamic efficiency, shareholders dividends, hard to prove
However regulation is likely to occur e.g. CMA on Tesco

Point 2: Incentive to cheat once the collusive agreement is formed - use game theory to show why firms may engage in collusions with the initial incentive to cheat, and explanation of interdependence etc
However depends on nature of market, products, contestability and other methods may be used to increase profitability

point 3: Reduce barriers to entry, more monopoly power
however x-inefficiency
Original post by sykesadam
You've missed the multi choice on demergers?

As i said i know i missed some out what was the question again?
For the collusion 25 market, I used kinked demand to say no reason for firms to cheat because regardless of if they increase/ decrease prices, firms will still lose revenue, is this correct?
One advantage of demergers- the correct answer was to focus on the core of the business
As i said i know i missed some out what was the question again?
Can i say increase prices lead to an increase in AR and MR for the 12 marker leading to increased profits?
Can you talk about how firms are interdependent and without collusion prices are sticky and unlikely to rise or fall so likelihood of gains in revenue fall therefore should collude ? also how collusion reduces uncertainty for firms?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 26
the 12 marker was one reason why there were profits right?
yes
Original post by Emilia123.fo
Reply 28
i basically j spoke about economies of scale (in detail) and then diseconomies to evaluate
Original post by niyah2001
yes
If I wrote PES as -3.9 will I lose both marks (don’t ask how)

SECTION A
-Relatively elastic

SECTION B
5 marker:
Definition for positive and normative statements, give examples of each from extract A and explain why each one is either positive or normative

Wider choice - ‘variety’

Consumer inertia
Habitual behaviour
However information gaps will be provided and the reason may not be consumer behaviour but because there is little incentive to change when you are elderly as you don’t need the alternative.

Price making power following rise in market share - ‘price leader’ and ‘other firms follow suit’ - showing degree of tacit collusion taking place (which is an informal collusion when other firms react to the actions of another firm) which shows interdependence between firms. Use C+R diagram showing the SNP’s made at PM point.
However (Ev) can use kinked demand curve to show theory behind oligopolies and how if BT raise price it is unlikely that other firms will follow suit but if they lower price they will, meaning their price making power is not a determinant of their profits, and also other methods may determine their profitability such as brand image, and they may be investigated by regulators limiting long term profitability

15 marker intervention
Price cap
Information provision
However implications of both on profitability and lack of long term innovation thus damaging consumers

SECTION C
25 marker wage rates

Eval
-Pay caps in public sector meaning people get paid less than in private even if more skilled

point 1: Profitability, Dynamic efficiency, shareholders dividends, hard to prove

Point 2: Incentive to cheat once the collusive agreement is formed - use game theory to show why firms may engage in collusions with the initial incentive to cheat, and explanation of interdependence etc
However depends on nature of market, products, contestability and other methods may be used to increase profitability

however x-inefficiency
i think you'd prob only lose 1
Original post by Wayfarerx
If I wrote PES as -3.9 will I lose both marks (don’t ask how)
My points were very similar to this but I linked it back in the conclusion to how the reasons behind collusion depends mainly on shareholder objectives or the direction the business is moving in , what industry did u use ? I stuck to finance industry
Original post by dsxmpsxn
for the 25 marker on collusion
my first point was on overt collusion and creating more revenues and therefore profits by both firms pricing at a higher level. i used a payoff matrix for this.
EV: a lack of trust between firms and the threat of being undercut and losing demand - firms less likely to collude
second point was on tacit collusion and the fact that firms are likely to collude by following a price leader because demand above the market price is elastic and below is inelastic - colluding tacitly therefore allows no losses to be made through a fall in demand or a price war.
EV: if it is a contestable market in which a firm can come in with lower prices and undercut all colluding firms, a firm is less likely to collude and may price lower to subvert this threat.

Any thoughts? I thought this was decent but i'm not so sure reading people's answers now. Are my two KAA points too similar? I made sure to distinguish between overt and tacit collusion.

I
for 15 marker i also did a point on forcing bt and ee to demerge/sell off parts of company
Reply 33
SECTION A
-Relatively elastic

SECTION B
5 marker:

Wider choice - ‘variety’

Consumer inertia
Habitual behaviour

15 marker intervention
Price cap
Information provision

SECTION C
25 marker wage rates

Eval

however x-inefficiency

Why is decreasing barriers to entry a reason for collusion? Surely it is that they collude to make supernormal profits and firms can't enter due to high b2e as it is oligopoly and benefits of collusion lasts in the long run?
Would the kinked demand curve have worked for the 25 marker about collusion showing interdependence?
Reply 35
Original post by Shuab21245855
Would the kinked demand curve have worked for the 25 marker about collusion showing interdependence?

Kinked demand shows sticky price well because of interdependence so I think yes.
For the PES question, if I put 3.88, will I still get the marks?
Yes !!! Was so harsh and stretched
Original post by Emilia123.fo
Whats the most i could get if i did one point for the 15 marker with an evaluation & a diagram ?
Original post by Victoria1.
Whats the most i could get if i did one point for the 15 marker with an evaluation & a diagram ?

Top maybe 7 marks or less

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending