The Student Room Group

Serial killer dissertation?

Whilst I’ve just been watching the Ted Bundy police tapes documentary, I’ve somehow come to the conclusion that I would like to write my dissertation about serial killers (cheers Ted for the inspo😉)
I’m thinking of going to the library tomorrow to gather some books up to help me with research, but as I’ve only just come up with the thought of writing about this topic, and there’s so many directions to take it in,
Does anyone have any certain areas of the subject matter that would be worth talking about/looking into etc?

If any of this made sense?
What's your degree?
One for @DrawTheLine maybe.
Reply 3
Original post by Sabertooth
What's your degree?

Ohyeah I forgot to mention that😂
I study contemporary art and design (genius I know😉)
We’ve been told that it doesn’t have to be art related, it can be anything we want though so its very broad
Original post by Dgriff99
Whilst I’ve just been watching the Ted Bundy police tapes documentary, I’ve somehow come to the conclusion that I would like to write my dissertation about serial killers (cheers Ted for the inspo😉)
I’m thinking of going to the library tomorrow to gather some books up to help me with research, but as I’ve only just come up with the thought of writing about this topic, and there’s so many directions to take it in,
Does anyone have any certain areas of the subject matter that would be worth talking about/looking into etc?

If any of this made sense?

What specifically about serial killers? I'm assuming you mean undergrad dissertation? If so, then you won't be able to have access to any serial killers to interview. You could do people's opinions about them or something? Definitely go to the library and gather up 4 or 5 base ideas, and then take it to a lecturer or potential supervisor for them to help you narrow your ideas down and tell you which ones are a definite no and which ones would work. What degree are you studying as well?
Ohyeah I forgot to mention that😂
I study contemporary art and design (genius I know😉)
We’ve been told that it doesn’t have to be art related, it can be anything we want though so its very broad

It would be better for you if your dissertation was related to your degree.
Reply 6
Original post by DrawTheLine
What specifically about serial killers? I'm assuming you mean undergrad dissertation? If so, then you won't be able to have access to any serial killers to interview. You could do people's opinions about them or something? Definitely go to the library and gather up 4 or 5 base ideas, and then take it to a lecturer or potential supervisor for them to help you narrow your ideas down and tell you which ones are a definite no and which ones would work. What degree are you studying as well?

It would be better for you if your dissertation was related to your degree.

Yeah I’m going to make sure that it links in with my degree, I’ve done a few projects based around mental disorders etc so I was thinking of basing the dissertation around a vary of subjects such as men vs women killers, if emotional trauma can cause such behaviour, how a normal persons brain is different to a killers etc - basing it around the psychological side of the topic, as I can link this to my degree
Yeah I’m going to make sure that it links in with my degree, I’ve done a few projects based around mental disorders etc so I was thinking of basing the dissertation around a vary of subjects such as men vs women killers, if emotional trauma can cause such behaviour, how a normal persons brain is different to a killers etc - basing it around the psychological side of the topic, as I can link this to my degree

You'll have to be careful with some of these ideas and make sure you're in line with ethical standards. I was under the impression a dissertation had to involve your own piece of research? Am not sure how you'll be able to incorporate these ideas into an undergrad dissertation. Have to make sure they're realistic for an unqualified undergrad student to do in less than a year
Reply 8
You'll have to be careful with some of these ideas and make sure you're in line with ethical standards. I was under the impression a dissertation had to involve your own piece of research? Am not sure how you'll be able to incorporate these ideas into an undergrad dissertation. Have to make sure they're realistic for an unqualified undergrad student to do in less than a year

You’ve raised a fair point that I didn’t think about
You’ve raised a fair point that I didn’t think about

Sorry I don't want to crap on all your ideas! I'm a second year forensic psychology student (hence Notoriety tagging me here) so I'm in the early stages of planning my dissertation so these are all things I've had to consider.

If you want to do something around serial killers, here is what you'll need to consider:

- Quantitative or qualitative research
- Who your sample will be - cannot be offenders or vulnerable people e.g. children or those with mental or physical disabilities, must be over 18
- Ethics - cannot bring harm to participants in any way, psychologically especially
- How you'll carry out the research - interviews, surveys, focus groups etc
- Previous literature to support your idea including theories

And you'll also need to make sure there's someone suitable at your university to support your idea who can supervise you and give good advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending