The Student Room Group

[Exam Cram 2019] GCSE English Language // Creative Writing

[scrollr]:rave: Welcome to Exam Cram 2019! :rave:[/scrollr]

The theme for Monday is English :woo:

This thread is for GCSE English Language, more specifically for the creative writing segment, which appears to be quite common amongst most exam boards. I know they appear in Paper 1 for AQA and Edexcel, but I’m keeping it open because I’m sure other exam boards may have this somewhere too :yep:

I’ll be on TSR for most of the day today, replying to any questions you might have about the creative writing segment, plus any questions you might have around English Language also. There will be a second thread on the non-fiction writing segment too, which I’ll leave a link to here.

Disclaimer pew pew pew: Keep in mind I’m also a fellow GCSE candidate and I’m definitely not a pro by any means, I’m just an English Lit/Lang nerd hehe. There’s definitely some TSR English geniuses lurking around the site though :ninja: , so I’m sure they’ll make an appearance. :tongue: (<@Tolgarda got full marks for creative writing! :eek:)

Also on this thread, I’ll be making a list of tips, made by you and for you on how to tackle the question. So, if you have any up your sleeves, whether you’re a GCSE student yourself or further up the education system, spill all on this thread and I will edit the post below with ways to gain top marks in the creative writing segment. :five:

Make sure to stick around for the rest of Exam Cram, because there’ll be more threads going up for the rest of this week for other subjects, including GCSE and A-Level, plus there’ll be some advice from the exam boards too! :crazy: Hopefully this is somewhat useful and doesn't turn out to be a flop. :lol:

Happy revising, everyone! :excited:

Razzz :heart:

Good luck for today everyone x
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Ways to tackle the creative writing question:
- Get inspiration from books you've read before. Obviously, don't copy the entire plot, but snippets here and there never hurt anyone! Also, use ambitious vocabulary.

- If you find yourself using 'sad' one too many times, the examiner is going to get bored. Maybe switch it up with a word like 'melancholy' in it's place to give it some new flavour. :yep: Use a thesaurus and make a list for the common words. Try to memorise a couple before the exam and you're good to go!

- Give it some structure. What do you see in most books? Vivid description, right? You've got to articulate your writing well and give it LOADS of description, but still keep that suspense hanging. Google 'zooming in and out creative writing' and it should give you loads of ways to do that.
(edited 4 years ago)
hello! i suck at english, and you've helped thank you!
Original post by Coolkitkat23
hello! i suck at english, and you've helped thank you!

Hey! :hi:
It's not as bad as it seems, trust me. :tongue:
thank you for reassuring me, i got a 7 in the mock so i hope for an 8 maybe??????
Original post by RazzzBerries
Hey! :hi:
It's not as bad as it seems, trust me. :tongue:
thank you for reassuring me, i got a 7 in the mock so i hope for an 8 maybe??????

That's amazing!

Is there anything in English Lang you don't particularly like?
(edited 3 years ago)

everything :bawling:
How do I get a solid 5 in both papers. I really need help on creative writing as my teacher cannot teach anything. My teacher is actually a cover/training teacher. In class I told my class quotes for English Lit and she never knew them until I told them. Please help.
Original post by sqrt of 5
everything :bawling:

:lol:

Let's pick a starting point. Which question is the hardest for you?
Hey Razzz,
So I really struggle with my narrative/descriptive writing as I never get good marks. I am a lot better at non-fiction, but I really need some advice on creative.

Could anybody give me some good tips? I am currently working at grade 8/9 in English Language and my exam board is AQA.
Thank you!
On paper 1 the questions I am bad at are Q2, Q3, Q5. In Q5 - I only get 20 marks max. How can I try to get into those 20-25. How can I describe the language the writer uses in question 2 and how the writer draws you in on Q3. Q4 - I get 10-15 marks. Question 1 is easy.
:lol:

Let's pick a starting point. Which question is the hardest for you?

every single question for paper 1 :pcguru:
In Q2 and Q3 I only get 2-3 marks max. And apparently my teacher who can't teach is trying to be strict. But I doubt it. In my November mocks I got a grade 5 due to language paper 2 as I got a 6. But in my March mocks I scrapped through a 4. 3 Marks into a 4. I was absolutely gutted. How can I just get that solid 5.
Everyone use Mr Bruff and Mr Salles for English Lang
November Mocks:

Paper 1: 38/80
Paper 2: 58/80

March Mocks:

Paper 1: 40/80
Paper 2: 44/80

How can I improve. It's mostly Q2,Q3 and Q5 in paper 1.
I'm the same, but it's only question 5 in paper 1. It kills me, and I'm scared it'll bring my whole Language grade down 😭😢
Original post by Pro Gamer 2003
November Mocks:

Paper 1: 38/80
Paper 2: 58/80

March Mocks:

Paper 1: 40/80
Paper 2: 44/80

How can I improve. It's mostly Q2,Q3 and Q5 in paper 1.
"I suck at English?" That's amazing!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm i got a 4 in non fiction lmao (last year) anything i should particulary understand to be able to do well there, i also got a 6 in creative writing, which i think i should've got a better grade, because a girl wrote about birth control pills. :confused: Help me plsssssssssssssssssssss, one more thing can i send you my language work and you can tell me how to improve?
Original post by Pro Gamer 2003
How do I get a solid 5 in both papers. I really need help on creative writing as my teacher cannot teach anything. My teacher is actually a cover/training teacher. In class I told my class quotes for English Lit and she never knew them until I told them. Please help.

Sorry about the cover teacher :console:

Original post by Stardom33
Hey Razzz,
So I really struggle with my narrative/descriptive writing as I never get good marks. I am a lot better at non-fiction, but I really need some advice on creative.

Could anybody give me some good tips? I am currently working at grade 8/9 in English Language and my exam board is AQA.
Thank you!

Hey Stardom! :heart:

@Pro Gamer 2003 and @Stardom33, to answer both your questions at once, here are some thing I find super helpful:

- Getting inspiration from books I've read before. Obviously, don't copy the entire plot, but snippets here and there never hurt anyone! Also, use ambitious vocabulary.

-If you find yourself using 'sad' one too many times, the examiner is going to get bored. Maybe switch it up with a word like 'melancholy' in it's place to give it some new flavour. :yep:

- Give it some structure. What do you see in most books? Vivid description, right? You've got to articulate your writing well and give it LOADS of description, but still keep that suspense hanging. Google 'zooming in and out creative writing' and it should give you loads of ways to do that.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm i got a 4 in non fiction lmao (last year) anything i should particulary understand to be able to do well there, i also got a 6 in creative writing, which i think i should've got a better grade, because a girl wrote about birth control pills. :confused: Help me plsssssssssssssssssssss, one more thing can i send you my language work and you can tell me how to improve?

There's a non-fiction thread up! See here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5969772

See post #18, I've added some tips for creative writing as well. :yep:

Of course! Just message me in PMs :h:
Thank you Razzz :heart:
That helps a lot, I just need to remember to structure it properly and use ambitious vocab (which is not as easy as it sounds... 😝)
Sorry about the cover teacher :console:

Hey Stardom! :heart:

@Pro Gamer 2003 and @Stardom33, to answer both your questions at once, here are some thing I find super helpful:

- Getting inspiration from books I've read before. Obviously, don't copy the entire plot, but snippets here and there never hurt anyone! Also, use ambitious vocabulary.

-If you find yourself using 'sad' one too many times, the examiner is going to get bored. Maybe switch it up with a word like 'melancholy' in it's place to give it some new flavour. :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending