The Student Room Group

Is it possible to teach yourself an ALevel subject in one month?

A full A-level subject in 1 month, is it possible? And the key word here is 'teach yourself' as in not revising but simply making all your notes and understanding the subject. This is self taught so the factor of sole focus on the subject has to be considered.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brendan0686
A full A-level subject in 1 month, is it possible? And the key word here is 'teach yourself' as in not revising but simply making all your notes and understanding the subject. This is self taught so the factor of sole focus on the subject has to be considered.

No

If you already knew the content through studying for IB or other equivalent or higher qualification and just needed exam prep then maybe.

No.
Original post by the_queen
No.

elaborate?
Reply 4

If you are starting from scratch, then definitely no. Nothing to do with the level of inteligence or aptitude of whoever is studying, there is simply not enough time to digest and master the content.
Depends on the subject. If it's knowledge based like history or Spanish then you just learn the stuff and you're done.
If it's skill based where you need to be able to apply the stuff on the syllabus like Maths or Physics then no. You need to practice skills like maths so would probably take more than a month... if you wanted to do well.

But I guess you'd have to work 10months*2years/4subjects = 5 times harder than anyone else... Yeah, there's probably not enough hours in a day for that to happen. It's probably impossible unless you have photographic memory or something...
Anything is possible, so I would say yes.
Original post by Pangol
If you are starting from scratch, then definitely no. Nothing to do with the level of inteligence or aptitude of whoever is studying, there is simply not enough time to digest and master the content.

I am not looking to master the content, I am just looking to simply understand it, as in create notes on the whole spec, it is important to understand that I am not looking to know it all off by heart or even know parts of it, just simple note taking and understanding with an average of 8 hours a day being put into it.
Reply 8
I am not looking to master the content, I am just looking to simply understand it, as in create notes on the whole spec, it is important to understand that I am not looking to know it all off by heart or even know parts of it, just simple note taking and understanding with an average of 8 hours a day being put into it.

Are you intending to actually take the A Level, or just to study for it? I would still claim that there is not enough time to do this, but as mentioned above, it will depend to some extent on the subject. Which is it?
Original post by Danny_Man
Anything is possible, so I would say yes.

"Anything is possible" is clearly incorrect, so I wouldn't take this advice...
Why are you asking, OP?
Which subject?

There is no way I spent more than the equivalent of 8 hours X 30 days on any of my individual subjects.
If you are bright, interested and keen then yes. Try. What have you got to lose
It’s possible to learn all the content but not enough time to do exam practise and revision.

If you did 6 hours a day, 5 days a week then I think it’s possible depending on the subject. And then you could use the weekends to fit in around 3 hours of exam practise on Saturday and 3 hours on Sunday.

You’d be spending 42 hours a week just on that one A level subject. If you still go to school and study two other A levels then your brain will explode
Original post by Pangol
Are you intending to actually take the A Level, or just to study for it? I would still claim that there is not enough time to do this, but as mentioned above, it will depend to some extent on the subject. Which is it?

"Anything is possible" is clearly incorrect, so I wouldn't take this advice...

How is it "clearly incorrect? If anything, it's actually clearly correct.
Reply 13

I am thinking of a whole number. Can my number be both odd and even?

No matter how fast you run, you'll never move faster than the speed of light. That's impossible
Original post by bingbong654
No matter how fast you run, you'll never move faster than the speed of light. That's impossible

It's not impossible. There's always a way to achieve something.
And in this particular situation, would would the way be?
It's not impossible. There's always a way to achieve something.
Yes it is. Biology example - 30 days average in a month. 8 topics, 8 hours a day.
First week/8 days: go through the spec and make notes (1 topic a day)
Second week/ 8 days: Revise over each topic and do quiz/ recall style questions
Third week/ 8 days: Practice exam style questions and analyse mark schemes.
Final week/ 6or7 days: Revisit areas of weakness and improve them.

Impossible is nothing.
Original post by bingbong654
And in this particular situation, would would the way be?

I don't know. But that doesn't mean it's not doable. Maybe some people have already done it, or at least someone will in the future.
Original post by Pangol
I am thinking of a whole number. Can my number be both odd and even?

Well obviously within reason. Anything that's factually correct can't be untrue.

Quick Reply

Latest