The Student Room Group

Taking further maths A level as one person in the class

Hi,
Im starting a new sixth form after leaving my old one. They offer further maths however no one in the current year is taking it and I would be the only person in the class, but they said it may be possible.

I’m looking to go down the computer science route and was wondering how many of the top universities expect further maths at A level?

I feel like if i take it I’m just inconveniencing the teachers because it would be a lot more of their time for just one student…
Original post by Sbud
Hi,
Im starting a new sixth form after leaving my old one. They offer further maths however no one in the current year is taking it and I would be the only person in the class, but they said it may be possible.

I’m looking to go down the computer science route and was wondering how many of the top universities expect further maths at A level?

I feel like if i take it I’m just inconveniencing the teachers because it would be a lot more of their time for just one student…

I do reckon a lot of applicants will have taken it but i’m not sure how much it would actually affect your application

However i don’t think you should feel guilty if you like maths and you want to take the subject ! You’re not an inconvenience, if anything it may be preferable to the teacher as they’re only teaching one student compared to lots, they would have been expecting to potentially teach the class anyway. Plus it would be nice to be able to have 1:1 teaching , i reckon that’ll actually help you a lot :smile: I would make the choice based on how likely it is you will do well in your alevels with the extra a level and whether you want to do the subject > inconveniencing anyone

Quick Reply

Latest