The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Chemistry 7405 - Paper 2 (Organic & Physical Chem) - 11th June 2019

This poll is closed

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive14%
The paper was reasonable35%
Not feeling great about that exam...27%
It was TERRIBLE24%
Total votes: 2615
AQA A-level Chemistry 7405 - Paper 2 - 11th June

Exam technique, night before breakdowns and discussion regarding this exam... It's all here :gthumb: Feel free to add resources to the thread as well as anything that may be helpful to others :smartass:

This thread covers the following papers:

7405 Organic and Physical Chemistry 2h 11 June 2019 pm

:rave:

The official specification: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/chemistry/specifications/AQA-7404-7405-SP-2015.PDF

Spoiler

Specimen and past papers:
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/chemistry-7404-7405/assessment-resources

:goodluck:

Scroll to see replies

Any tips for learning all the mechanisms?
This lays out the mechanisms pretty well, although you should probably check the textbook as well just in case.
https://chemrevise.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/aqa-mechanisms-a-level-summary.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3dYzasmjMX-FS5aDxAOrjwEpM8QR6NXOM93LCCGzry8PtPFUg4cpmp-VM

Original post by Yazzie01302
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Any predictions for the physical that could come up on this based on what did/didn’t come up on paper 1?
Probs gonna be some kc as that didn’t come up at all
I'd look on chemsheets and then just draw them again and again until you can do them without looking at any answers or the actual mechanisms and then do some past paper questions. There's some good ones on physics and maths tutor which are really useful
Original post by Yazzie01302
next exam lets goooooo
Reply 7
Kc, Arrhenius, drawing graphs of Arrhenius and rate equations with rate determining steps maybe
Original post by Kayyy30
Any predictions for the physical that could come up on this based on what did/didn’t come up on paper 1?
Probs gonna be some kc as that didn’t come up at all
Reply 8
Yeah Kinetics is always gonna come up on paper 2 though because it’s not supposed to come up on paper 1 (like , the spec says it’s only in paper 2)

Topics from paper 1 that could come up on paper 2 though;
Deffo kc they didn’t ask much of that at all. I think enthaply too? They didn’t ask any enthaply quetsions ! It was mostly thermodynamics rather than energetic
Original post by D.ydt
Kc, Arrhenius, drawing graphs of Arrhenius and rate equations with rate determining steps maybe
Reply 9
Definitely enthalpy yeah, maybe more heavy on like mean bond enthalpies maybe this year
Original post by Kayyy30
Yeah Kinetics is always gonna come up on paper 2 though because it’s not supposed to come up on paper 1 (like , the spec says it’s only in paper 2)

Topics from paper 1 that could come up on paper 2 though;
Deffo kc they didn’t ask much of that at all. I think enthaply too? They didn’t ask any enthaply quetsions ! It was mostly thermodynamics rather than energetic
Reply 10
Compromise condition questions are usually badly answered and have appeared on AQA papers for the last couple of years as 6 mark questions. There was a compromise condition question on this year's AS paper 2. So maybe it's like the electrospray question that appeared this year on both AS and A2 paper 1.
Reply 11
Do you know where I can find practise 6 mark questions for compromise conditions?
Original post by Ipcress
Compromise condition questions are usually badly answered and have appeared on AQA papers for the last couple of years as 6 mark questions. There was a compromise condition question on this year's AS paper 2. So maybe it's like the electrospray question that appeared this year on both AS and A2 paper 1.
Reply 12
Do you always have to include the partial charges when drawing mechanisms even if they haven't stated that you have to?
Reply 13
Don't think you have to if they don't mention it
Original post by Jiiny
Do you always have to include the partial charges when drawing mechanisms even if they haven't stated that you have to?
Original post by Jiiny

You don't have to....but it never hurt anybody to show your talent :wink:
Does anyone have access to the 2019 AS Paper 2? Please send it my way ASAP. Thanks yoooou!
same!! if anyone has it please send it thanks X
Original post by Ibrahim-Rana
Does anyone have access to the 2019 AS Paper 2? Please send it my way ASAP. Thanks yoooou!
Reply 17
Same here!
Original post by Ibrahim-Rana
And mee
Original post by TemiF
Same here!
Reply 19
quick question about nmr (sorry if its a stupid one), what effects the chemical shift of the resonating 1H or 13C nucleas? is it how it feels the magnetic feild OR radio waves differently? (ik about electronegative atoms etc - just dont know if its to do with radio waves or magnetic feild). thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending