The Student Room Group

Last minute exam change

Hey I’m doing triple science (gcse AQA) and literally half an hour before my physics paper 1 I changed to foundation and kept the rest as higher. No one else in my school is doing that paper and it feels nice because I can’t compare myself, I also feel good about having physics as my past exam since the first was sooo easy...but now I’m worried it was a bad decision. What do you think about people saying you’re ‘wasting your potential’ by capping your grades? I’ve always been kinda smart and got a 9 in my bio mock but I’ve been getting consistent 4’s in physics, still I have doubts....plz help xD
It’s in the past now so don’t dwell on it too much! Are you doing foundation triple or foundation combined? I’ve been told that if you do combined science you will on average get one grade higher than if you did triple, eg if you got a 4 in triple you would get a 5 for combined. It’s a shame that you did switch because you could have reached your potential in biology and to get a pass in physics would be easier on higher as you only need to get a low percentage of the marks on the papers, compared to in foundation you have to get majority of the questions right to get a pass... but if you feel it was the right decision for you then that’s great :smile: Good luck for tomorrow as well :smile:
Is this even allowed??? In my school, you have to let the exam board know months in advance what paper (foundation or higher) a student is doing.
Original post by emacsrose
Is this even allowed??? In my school, you have to let the exam board know months in advance what paper (foundation or higher) a student is doing.

I thought the same. I was told you would have to pay a higher fee the closer it got to the exam to change the paper you’re doing. Also I thought you had to do all sciences at the same level eg all foundation or all higher? Idek
yeah i'm pretty sure they have to be on the same level so i'm confused how OP is doing 1 higher and the rest foundation.
Original post by blueberryba
I thought the same. I was told you would have to pay a higher fee the closer it got to the exam to change the paper you’re doing. Also I thought you had to do all sciences at the same level eg all foundation or all higher? Idek
yeah i'm pretty sure they have to be on the same level so i'm confused how OP is doing 1 higher and the rest foundation.

personally don’t see the point in doing foundation. with higher, you only have to answer a few questions to get a pass but with foundation you have to get most of the questions right. why did they even make a foundation triple tbh
Reply 6

All the papers for a GCSE have to be the same tier, but as the OP says she's doing triple Science that's 3 different GCSEs and there's no problem with them being at different tiers.
Reply 7
Hey,
For triple AQA you can have split entry so I’m still higher for bio and chem, just foundation for physics and I’ve been assured that it’s okay to do that xD I really doubted I would’ve got a 5 in physics on higher so I’d much rather get an actual grade on foundation than get an ungraded xD atleast that’s how I see it
Good luck to you aswell!
It’s in the past now so don’t dwell on it too much! Are you doing foundation triple or foundation combined? I’ve been told that if you do combined science you will on average get one grade higher than if you did triple, eg if you got a 4 in triple you would get a 5 for combined. It’s a shame that you did switch because you could have reached your potential in biology and to get a pass in physics would be easier on higher as you only need to get a low percentage of the marks on the papers, compared to in foundation you have to get majority of the questions right to get a pass... but if you feel it was the right decision for you then that’s great :smile: Good luck for tomorrow as well :smile:
Reply 8
No you can actually have different entry levels for triple AQA, all of my science teachers have agreed but they did admit that they don’t usually do it because it’s more work if you have classes of all different entries
Reply 9
We can have different entry levels, also my school are very generous with paying for exams, remarks and entry changes etc. Which I’m very thankful for

Quick Reply

Latest