The Student Room Group

My computer crashed during my official igcse exam :)))))

Poll

Am i over-reacting ?

Yesterday was a horrible, horrible, horrible day.
I messed up an exam i have been studying for 2 freaking years over.

SO ALL was well and i was happily relaxing through my exam, casually breezing through it all AND THEN at the last 40 minutes while attempting the database section my dumb-ass computer got a seizure and literally everything got deleted ( thanks god i printed all the other tasks and part of the evidence document otherwise i would've had to give in nothing)

The rest of those 30 minutes could only be described as....chaos .
3 examiners RAN to figure out wth just happened , i had a full-on panic attack and cried so much i almost fainted, everyone around me got nervous ...
After about 15 minutes of confusion i hurriedly got assigned a different seat while an examiner was fixing the computer but by then i was so stressed that i couldn't finish the paper beyond the first report.
SO yeah 30 marks lost like that.

I'm filing in a report to Cambridge but the examiners said the rest of the 30 minutes should've been sufficient and it isn't their fault after-all, and yes i agree it might've been enough but i was obviously distressed due to no fault of my own so surely i deserved at least the lost 15 minutes ?

Idek what so say anymore. This is a nightmare.
( background: I am an IGCSE currently in my last year. I got an A* on my ICT mock exam, which was one of the 10 top marks in my school of 90 students and i'm overall generally pretty good in ICT)
Also i left the database part to the last minute because it took the longest so i wanted to fully focus on it .
(edited 6 years ago)
Should've made backups online or another computer.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DavidLuiz71
Should've made backups online or another computer.

I did save my work in the other pc but they couldn't fix it
So once you were set up somewhere else you were given 30 minutes to finish it?
If that is the case I don't think you have much of a case - they gave you the time of the exam, the fact you were over hysterical was not within their control and not massively rational either - though from your background post where you make it clear you will take no criticism I suspect you will disagree with this reply also.
Wow.....

Well it is true in life having a breakdown never works lol.
Original post by VMD100
So once you were set up somewhere else you were given 30 minutes to finish it?
If that is the case I don't think you have much of a case - they gave you the time of the exam, the fact you were over hysterical was not within their control and not massively rational either - though from your background post where you make it clear you will take no criticism I suspect you will disagree with this reply also.

I understand your point but i was ALMOST done with the report and only needed those lost 15 minutes to make some few critical changes before printing it but i was instead forced to print an incomplete report.
y

Exactly. And during those 15 minutes i repeatedly asked to be changed seats but they refused to do so saying it's against the rules and ONLY when they finally gave up fixing it was i allowed to change seats.
Turns out the computer crashed cause of an electrical problem ... pros of being in an underfunded school
If anyone had a similar situation occur then advice on what to do is greatly appreciated :frown:
ugh I just have horrible luck i guess
If your school is unwilling to help, I suggest you contact your exam board to ask about your circumstances.
Surely you should have gotten that 15 minutes back. It was you time lost and it wasn't your fault regardless whether or not the remaining time was sufficient. You were clearly at a disadvantage.
Get a Macintosh
Oh my god that is horrible!
That was kind of funny to be honest.
Happened at our school during an A Level programming exam. And then the computer they were moved to had the wrong version of Python on it and the IDE wasn't set up the way the student was used to.

We appealed to the exam board and it was taken into account. You need to make sure that it's logged just in case it does need considering. It won't be much consideration though!
Reply 17
This happened to me yesterday, I heard special consideration is only worth a few marks like 5% max if someone dies or you get a terminal illness. Does anyne know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending