The Student Room Group

bpd + asperger's

is it possible to have both bpd and Asperger's? I've been noticing I have a lot of patterns that would signify bpd, but I don't know it that's the emotional instability side of the Asperger's (which I believe is more of a thing for girls with Asperger's).

I have done usual of taking quizzes and they all come out as high chance of bpd (I *know* these aren't official, but a lot do use the official diagnosis to run against).

still, is it actually possible to have bpd and Asperger's? I don't want to work myself up to present this to my GP to then be shut down and feel like an idiot
According to the DSM-V and ICD 10 I think it's possible, although there might be differential diagnoses.
Don't try and diagnose yourself and go see your GP.
Don't do quizzes...

As someone with BPD go and see a GP. But go in with an open mind and not saying 'i think i have this'. If they think you present a complex case they cant diagnose they will refer you to a psychiatrist who will be able to ascertain if you have bpd or not.

I dont see why it wouldnt be possible to have both, they arent mutually exclusive
Reply 4
Original post by CoolCavy
Don't do quizzes...

As someone with BPD go and see a GP. But go in with an open mind and not saying 'i think i have this'. If they think you present a complex case they cant diagnose they will refer you to a psychiatrist who will be able to ascertain if you have bpd or not.

I dont see why it wouldnt be possible to have both, they arent mutually exclusive

I get what you're saying about the quizzes, but, as I said, they do run against the DSM V so there's some credibility on that. I find they provide a foundation to work on anyway.
I find my GP doesn't take my mental issues seriously enough so I'm leaving him as a last resort. would you known any other ways to access the mental health services?
Original post by ughnoplease
I get what you're saying about the quizzes, but, as I said, they do run against the DSM V so there's some credibility on that. I find they provide a foundation to work on anyway.
I find my GP doesn't take my mental issues seriously enough so I'm leaving him as a last resort. would you known any other ways to access the mental health services?

The only way to access the mental health services is through the GP (or potentially if you are in hospital and the doctors there have concerns about your mental health, though they may well ask your GP to deal with it rather than referring you). But if you have Asperger's, are you not under the mental health team already? And why are you so keen on having a diagnosis of BPD?
Reply 6
Original post by black tea
The only way to access the mental health services is through the GP (or potentially if you are in hospital and the doctors there have concerns about your mental health, though they may well ask your GP to deal with it rather than referring you). But if you have Asperger's, are you not under the mental health team already? And why are you so keen on having a diagnosis of BPD?

I was never under a mental health team for my asperger's, and we had to have that done privately as I was over 16. I've only ever received help for my eating disorder.
getting the diagnosis would be somewhat relieving ? I don't *want* bpd, but having this labelled with something (not necessarily bpd) would be a relief and would carve a better path for therapy etc. I don't know how to explain it without seeming I want to have bpd
I was never under a mental health team for my asperger's, and we had to have that done privately as I was over 16. I've only ever received help for my eating disorder.
getting the diagnosis would be somewhat relieving ? I don't *want* bpd, but having this labelled with something (not necessarily bpd) would be a relief and would carve a better path for therapy etc. I don't know how to explain it without seeming I want to have bpd

I see. Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that you want to have it - it's just that it's a diagnosis that has a lot of stigma attached to it, and people often want to avoid it. BPD therapy provision is very patchy and some areas have no services at all, which makes it challenging having that diagnosis as GPs can't really help and mental health services will discharge as it's personality, not mental illness. But idk, maybe that's just what it's like where I live.

If you do want a diagnosis, you would either need to see your GP or have a private assessment.
Yess! I have Aspergers and BPD. Diagnosed Aspergers at 11 and BPD at 17
Reply 9
Original post by Tori210701
Yess! I have Aspergers and BPD. Diagnosed Aspergers at 11 and BPD at 17

how was the diagnosis process? did you have to go private for the bpd (I had to for my Asperger's as I was 16). don't you have to be 18 for a bpd diagnosis?
Not too sure about the Aspergers diagnosis as I was quite young but the process took since I was 3 years old. Bpd was under a psychiatrist and at 17 they said it was emerging BPD because they couldn’t properly diagnose until 18 and then when I turned 18 it got properly diagnosed.
how was the diagnosis process? did you have to go private for the bpd (I had to for my Asperger's as I was 16). don't you have to be 18 for a bpd diagnosis?

Have you got an update for this? :smile: did you go to see a medical professional in the end.
You have to be 18 to be diagnosed yes as your personality as such is very volatile until you are about 19
I think I did for Aspergers but not for BPD, just CAMHS. As I said they originally used the term emerging BPD but later changed it as I turned 18.
Original post by CoolCavy
Have you got an update for this? :smile: did you go to see a medical professional in the end.
You have to be 18 to be diagnosed yes as your personality as such is very volatile until you are about 19

I haven't,,, I'm v good at putting stuff off hahaaa
but I am 18 so I can be diagnosed, but it's trying to find the access. I've got a bigger thing on rn and should be going to therapy for it but, quite frankly, can't be bothered (I've been in camhs since 13 so I don't have great experience which has probably made me reluctant lol)
I haven't,,, I'm v good at putting stuff off hahaaa
but I am 18 so I can be diagnosed, but it's trying to find the access. I've got a bigger thing on rn and should be going to therapy for it but, quite frankly, can't be bothered (I've been in camhs since 13 so I don't have great experience which has probably made me reluctant lol)

I know its hard but i would advise going to your GP sooner rather than later, waitlists are so long for psychiatrists by the time you actually see one (usually about a 6 month wait for a first appointment) then you will be ready hopefully.
After the initial psych appointments to get diagnosed it then takes another year and a half (well it did in my area anyway) to get DBT therapy (the therapy needed for DBT)
There's a lot of waiting around :sadnod:
good luck with it all whatever you decide :hugs:
I’m doing an EPQ and have chosen to do it about BPD. Does anyone have any ideas of a question title. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest