The Student Room Group

GCSE results for Oxford

Do your GCSE results make a big difference when applying to Oxford compared to As and alevel results?

My gcse's:

Biology:7
Chemistry:8
English language: 7
English lit: 5
Geography: 6
Mathematics: 8
Physics: 7
Rs:6
Sociology: C
Spanish: 5

AS LEVEL Prediction
AAB

A level prediction
A*A*A*- A*A*A
How did you go from pretty ok gcse results to 3A*'s I mean 3A*'s means usually just super naturally intelligent and work hard, all the people who I know who are naturally super intelligent all got A*'s at gcse without even trying so I struggle to see how you went from that to A*A*A*
Which course?

When I applied for History. They looked at your top 8 GCSEs and looked at how well you did compared to your school.

Then to get an interview you would have to do well in the admissions test (top 70%). So admissions test and interview can make up for GCSE results but remember the test and interview are pretty hard

I imagine it’s something similar for other courses. I do know that You need mostly A*s (9?)for Medicine
(edited 4 years ago)
look at Ibz Mo on youtube, he got into Cambridge with worse GCSEs than you. It really depends on the average of your school as well as the other parts of your applied ie statement, reference and interview.
i went from 1 A at GCSE to A*AA at a-level, thats because i didnt think i could get good grades so didnt put in the work at GCSE. just because you dont get A* at GCSE doesnt mean you cant at a-level
Original post by Difference99
How did you go from pretty ok gcse results to 3A*'s I mean 3A*'s means usually just super naturally intelligent and work hard, all the people who I know who are naturally super intelligent all got A*'s at gcse without even trying so I struggle to see how you went from that to A*A*A*
Dude he has clearly just predicted himself 3 A*'s, it says AS level prediction: AAB! no college predicts people for the second year in the first year. Also it depends what A-Levels you do, What I'm saying is if you got a C in maths at gcse your not gonna get an A* in further maths at A level because if you were naturally good enough a maths to get an A* at A-Level then you sure as hell wouldve gotten an A* in maths with ease at gcse... And there is a big difference between AAA and A*A*A* thats like the difference between being smart and hardworking and being extremely intelligent and hard working.
Original post by nintysixthousand
i went from 1 A at GCSE to A*AA at a-level, thats because i didnt think i could get good grades so didnt put in the work at GCSE. just because you dont get A* at GCSE doesnt mean you cant at a-level
Original post by nintysixthousand
look at Ibz Mo on youtube, he got into Cambridge with worse GCSEs than you. It really depends on the average of your school as well as the other parts of your applied ie statement, reference and interview.

Also maybe the fact I do maths chemistry biology and physics makes me salty but ibz mo did easy as **** subjects, I could go to oxford if i did bloody sociology
Reply 7
I got A* and A in the subjects i took from gcse so my sixth form predicted me A* A* A*, also i am pretty smart but i didnt really try hard in sociology and spanish. I was meant to get a 7 in english lit but i messed up on the day
Reply 8
They had to give me predictions in the first year for second year as i had to submit them for stuff i was signing up for. Also the A's at As will be pretty high A's which is equivalent to A* at A level so really its not that much different
Dude he has clearly just predicted himself 3 A*'s, it says AS level prediction: AAB! no college predicts people for the second year in the first year. Also it depends what A-Levels you do, What I'm saying is if you got a C in maths at gcse your not gonna get an A* in further maths at A level because if you were naturally good enough a maths to get an A* at A-Level then you sure as hell wouldve gotten an A* in maths with ease at gcse... And there is a big difference between AAA and A*A*A* thats like the difference between being smart and hardworking and being extremely intelligent and hard working.
Thats complete ******** and your six form is crooked, let me guess private school? I got A* in every subject I did at A-Level at gcse and that didnt make it an immediate A* lol predicted... I think you're dreaming tbh I mean if you did get an offer I highly doubt you will get 3 A*, the only people I know who got even close (A*A*A) is 2 of my old friends, 1 was an absolute genius just natural born mathematician both parents mathematicians so you know, seconds one worked hard as hell Im talking 6 hours a day every night after college EVERY day and got A*A*A and he was also naturally very smart and they both got like 10* at gcse so...

Original post by √-1
I got A* and A in the subjects i took from gcse so my sixth form predicted me A* A* A*, also i am pretty smart but i didnt really try hard in sociology and spanish. I was meant to get a 7 in english lit but i messed up on the day
Reply 10
No i go to a state school thats y i needed my predicted a level grades so i could apply to widening participation schemes. I do work extremely hard. I already have a place on uniq which is a scheme with oxford that is quite competitive. I dont believe i will get three A* but i do believe A* A* A is achievable for me. I revise from November onwards and do 8 hours of work a day including school work. I also do EPQ and Gold Duke of Edinburgh on top of that too.
Thats complete ******** and your six form is crooked, let me guess private school? I got A* in every subject I did at A-Level at gcse and that didnt make it an immediate A* lol predicted... I think you're dreaming tbh I mean if you did get an offer I highly doubt you will get 3 A*, the only people I know who got even close (A*A*A) is 2 of my old friends, 1 was an absolute genius just natural born mathematician both parents mathematicians so you know, seconds one worked hard as hell Im talking 6 hours a day every night after college EVERY day and got A*A*A and he was also naturally very smart and they both got like 10* at gcse so...
Reply 11
Also if anyone knows if Oxford will turn me away due to my GCSE results as that was my inital question and not really a discussion on my predicted A level grades
They certainly won't turn you away soley based upon your GCSE results, that's for sure. As i'm sure you're aware, there are various other factors to be taken into account concerning your application that will decide if you're given an interview, offer or straight-up rejection. Your GCSEs aren't bad at all, if it's worth mentioning. You've got absolutely outstanding predictions - in conjuction with a good personal statement, wider reading and relevant experience, i'm sure that you may be given an interview!
Original post by √-1
Also if anyone knows if Oxford will turn me away due to my GCSE results as that was my inital question and not really a discussion on my predicted A level grades
Reply 13
Original post by √-1

what subject? I won't lie to you, they're not extremely competitive and you would need a killer admissions test score to get an interview. if you're from a low performing school/disadvantages background (i.e. polar quintiles, which I guess you are since you were accepted onto Uniq) that can help give your GCSE grades a boost.

i say go for it regardless, it's only one spot on your application. if youre passionate about your subject and you could talk about it at length in your interview then you'll be a good applicant :smile:
Reply 14
Yea currenty working on the reading as i dont really have a good support system in school to help me apply to oxford so i knew you had to do some reading but i didnt know how much
Reply 15
Yea thats what i thought, I really dont think i will be accepted but like why not cus im predicted grades similar to their entry requirements
Original post by sotor
what subject? I won't lie to you, they're not extremely competitive and you would need a killer admissions test score to get an interview. if you're from a low performing school/disadvantages background (i.e. polar quintiles, which I guess you are since you were accepted onto Uniq) that can help give your GCSE grades a boost.

i say go for it regardless, it's only one spot on your application. if youre passionate about your subject and you could talk about it at length in your interview then you'll be a good applicant :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by √-1
Yea thats what i thought, I really dont think i will be accepted but like why not cus im predicted grades similar to their entry requirements

exactly!! the only way you wont get in for sure is by not applying

feel free to pm me if you have any questions, I'm from the same background so I did it all myself! im an offer holder for medicine :smile:
Reply 17
damnnn medicine at Oxford that's pretty amazing, also how many books did you read as I'm probably going to try and do all the reading over the summer
Does your subject have an entry test? You will need to do well in it. As everybody needs to.

Thats complete ******** and your six form is crooked...

Yes, predicted grades are absolute BS and its staggering that unis actually use them.

However, I do disagree with your 'private school conspiracy' idea - my experience IRL and on here is that state schools are the ones who vastly over-predict, whereas good private schools get worried about their 'reputation' to universities and tend to be a lot more realistic.

My school actually had an official policy that they would predict you one grade higher than what you got at AS (this is back when there always was AS), or two grades higher if you asked your teacher. You could get BBB and be predicted A*A*A*. Ridiculous.
Reply 19
I was predicted them right at the start of year 1 so I hadn't even done any exams. They just predicted three A* cus they knew I would work for that tbh I think. Yes im taking the MAT test. According to Oxford you have to get 40% for an interview and like 75% for a place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending