The Student Room Group

Sprained thumb- exam on monday

i think i have sprained my thumb, ive worked hard all year and ive got my last A level exam on monday but today all below my thumb is swollen and stiff, i can't use or move it. Really worried whether i'll even be able to write on monday and if if may slow me down. What should I do?
I've already been putting ibuprofen gel on it but what if it doesn't heal for monday either way i want to do the exam but it might slow me down and affect my perfomance, what do i do?
Original post by Ccyxxx
i think i have sprained my thumb, ive worked hard all year and ive got my last A level exam on monday but today all below my thumb is swollen and stiff, i can't use or move it. Really worried whether i'll even be able to write on monday and if if may slow me down. What should I do?
I've already been putting ibuprofen gel on it but what if it doesn't heal for monday either way i want to do the exam but it might slow me down and affect my perfomance, what do i do?

go to a minor injuries unit, you'll need medical evidence if it is an injury that will affect you in the exam and if you can't move it you really need it checked out.
Reply 2
i would go to the doctors but they're closed over the weekend when they open my exam will be done, do you think if it affects my exam i should tell my teacher or ring my college and then go to the doctors to get medical evidence? Because they wont be able to do anything before the exam this late
Original post by claireestelle
go to a minor injuries unit, you'll need medical evidence if it is an injury that will affect you in the exam and if you can't move it you really need it checked out.
Original post by Ccyxxx
i would go to the doctors but they're closed over the weekend when they open my exam will be done, do you think if it affects my exam i should tell my teacher or ring my college and then go to the doctors to get medical evidence? Because they wont be able to do anything before the exam this late

Not your gp, a minor injuries unit is like A&E but for injuries like you have. If you can't move it then waiting till monday isn't a good idea. See someone today then go in first thing on monday with whatever the diagnosis is and explain what has happened to the exams officer.
They may let you type the exam if you can get medical proof and arrange it in time?
Reply 5
I can't go anywhere this weekend, I dont have transport and It isnt like it is broken, it may heal a bit before monday, it's a sprain from writing. Who is the exams officer just an invigilator? I might have to just tell them about it and explain everything if its still bad( they will be able to see the swelling anyway) and then tell them im going to the doctors the next day. Either way i will be able to sit the exam but i might write really slow or something i dont know how it will be on monday when i write, so maybe i would have to apply for special consideration?
Not your gp, a minor injuries unit is like A&E but for injuries like you have. If you can't move it then waiting till monday isn't a good idea. See someone today then go in first thing on monday with whatever the diagnosis is and explain what has happened to the exams officer.
You’re just going to have to try and write the best you can in the exam, if you’re not going to the out of hours GP at A&E, then you can’t get any proof you’ve sprained it, thus they’re not just going to hand you a laptop bc you say you’ve sprained it, they need a dr note. Without a dr note you can’t do anything about it. You have to apply for special consideration before exams start.
Reply 7
Original post by Ccyxxx
I can't go anywhere this weekend, I dont have transport and It isnt like it is broken, it may heal a bit before monday, it's a sprain from writing. Who is the exams officer just an invigilator? I might have to just tell them about it and explain everything if its still bad( they will be able to see the swelling anyway) and then tell them im going to the doctors the next day. Either way i will be able to sit the exam but i might write really slow or something i dont know how it will be on monday when i write, so maybe i would have to apply for special consideration?

You're still going to need proof before Monday. I'm not sure why you're so against going to an MIU? Ask a parent or friend to go with you. Go on public transport, go in a taxi? There are options.
Original post by Ccyxxx

You need to go somewhere or nothing will be done by monday. Can't your parents take you?
Yes, you will have a chief invigilator who you should go to or ask a teacher at school who is appropriate. It helps though if they have some warning prior though as it allows them to make necessary adjustments now(phone your school maybe and see what they suggest)
Doctor the next day probably won't be sufficient unfortunately
Reply 9
Im not sure i even want a laptop though ive never used one for an exam before and i feel that would also be different and mess things up. I might go to the minor injuries unit now would that help with any possible special consideration?
Original post by Ccyxxx
Im not sure i even want a laptop though ive never used one for an exam before and i feel that would also be different and mess things up. I might go to the minor injuries unit now would that help with any possible special consideration?

you could get a doctor's note at least
If you inform the school now, you may be able to get a scribe if they have the ability to sort something?

At the end of the day, it is your exam and your grade and we can only give you suggestions. If you are ignoring them then that's on you
Reply 11
I just rang the minor injuries unit they are nurses there apparently no doctors at minor injuries units, so they can't give me a medical note?
Original post by Ccyxxx
I just rang the minor injuries unit they are nurses there apparently no doctors at minor injuries units, so they can't give me a medical note?

You should still go and get it checked out though
go to the unit they will make notes which you should be get access to if needed. Send an email to the school marked for the attention of the examination officer who will probably be a member of your office staff. Copy the exam board in. This way you will have provided the evidence in advance. On Monday get to the school as early as possible go to the school office and ask to speak to the examination officer and explain the position. They will advise the best way to act possibly after contacting the exam board. It may involve a scribe or other measures but the examination officer in the school is the best person to speak to.
Original post by Ccyxxx

Sorry to hear that, I absolutely understand your pain in every way; I've sprained my left thumb three times, my right thumb once and fractured my left thumb twice (all of these injuries come from sport, which for some reason I always seem to take part in ones involving my hands, (goalkeeping, boxing and basketball) although recently I started getting into skiing, and have done my left thumb in from having the ski pole stick wrap around my thumb, and then landing on that thumb after misjudging a ramp.

Ultimately, your pain won't go away for weeks, maybe even months (my left thumb actually just healed 1 week ago (6 months after injuring it.)) To relieve the pain, using ibuprofen gel (you are better off using tablets) won't have much effect on such a small surface area; getting a thumb-support is what you need (they cost around £10-£15 for one which does the job very well). This will offer you more flexibility, helps recovery significantly and also reduces the chance of you hurting yourself even more.

I would recommend either getting a scribe, or perhaps asking if you could do your examination on some sort of computer? We have that option in our school if you are restricted, but I have no idea if that would apply in your school.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ccyxxx

Yes they can. They can still acknowledge you went, assess the fact you have what you claim and no doctors were available.
You could also go to the chemist.
You seem so resistant to some of the good advice being given to you. Note from them plus a note informing the school exam officer plus head of year or head teacher can be backed up with a GP note later.

If its just a sprain rather than broken, then rest and keep icing it.

If you are going into the exam then load up with painkillers 20mins before.
Reply 16
I really appreciate all the advice. I rang 111 because thats what the minor injuries clinic said to do, the lady agreed i will have to see a GP Tuesday because there is no other available doctors until then where i live. Im gonna put ice and rest it ect until Monday, use painkillers and just push through, Im hoping it will be healed just enough to do this exam. Because I might be okay and i would rather write myself than use a laptop or scribe if it still bad on Monday I might mention it to my teacher or exam officer before but either way i want to write myself, I would just have to apply for special consideration after
it is your choice which way to proceed but why should anyone give you special consideration when you knew about the problem before the exam and decide not to take any action
Original post by Ccyxxx
I really appreciate all the advice. I rang 111 because thats what the minor injuries clinic said to do, the lady agreed i will have to see a GP Tuesday because there is no other available doctors until then where i live. Im gonna put ice and rest it ect until Monday, use painkillers and just push through, Im hoping it will be healed just enough to do this exam. Because I might be okay and i would rather write myself than use a laptop or scribe if it still bad on Monday I might mention it to my teacher or exam officer before but either way i want to write myself, I would just have to apply for special consideration after
Reply 18
I've already rang 111 there is nothing I can do, no doctors until after ive sat the exam on Monday morning. Im either gonna tell my teacher or exam officer before the exam if it's bad but if its fine and i do the exam fully then i will be happy to forget about it.
That is fine but the earlier the examination officer knows the more likely it is any action can be taken.
Original post by Ccyxxx
I've already rang 111 there is nothing I can do, no doctors until after ive sat the exam on Monday morning. Im either gonna tell my teacher or exam officer before the exam if it's bad but if its fine and i do the exam fully then i will be happy to forget about it.

Quick Reply

Latest