The Student Room Group

Rolled My ankle and it hurtsss

I know this is random but I rolled my ankle pretty badly and I thought I wouldnt need to tell anyone. A day passed and now damn it hurts like a b****. For some reason a bit of pain also reaches near my calves. Please if you have had a problem like this can you tell me what i should do to recover the fastest possible.
Reply 1
Please get some professional medical advice - none of us here can really hedge a guess because we can't see your ankle and even if we could this is not a medical forum for diagnosis and advice.

If you can't weight bear on it and the pain is so bad get it checked at hospital - they will tell you 'its either a sprain' or Xray it. Options for a fracture are to get a cast on it (although sometimes you can get a moon boot) - the lesser sprain is usually 'get on with it' or crutches. Sprains can sometimes be worse for pain than fractures. If you want you can ring 111 and talk to NHS 24

In between - initially lie down with your leg/ankle elevated (get a wooden kitchen chair upside down on your bed and cover it with a duvet) and then sleep with your leg up (even if it is for 4 hours until you wake up) This is to help stop the swelling - Then rest it as much as possible for about 24 hours and . after that use it as much as the pain allows. Get the frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel around the joint for 15 mins at a time (preferably while it is elevated). If you know how to use a crepe bandage use it or use a stockinette support bandage (see your chemist pharmacy)

After that time use it gently and see how you get on. If you still can't walk go to A&E

When the initial swelling and pain allow (could be a few weeks) start mobilising your ankle and strengthening the ligaments and muscles. You could ask to see a physiotherapist on the NHS but you might wait ages or pay for a good physiotherapist privately (currently circa £35 to £45 an hour) Wobble boards are good (but don't fall off)

Quick Reply

Latest