The Student Room Group

Nurse to Doctor

Original post by NurDoc
Hi, so my questions may be considered to be somewhat obscure by some but are important to me.

I will start by first giving a little background so that people may better answer my questions. I am currently a Band 5 staff nurse that works in A&E (I have worked there for a year). I have a BSc (hons) in Bioscience (2.2 - mostly due to me having approximately 30% attendance) and a MA Degree (Distinction - I had 100% attendance) in Adult Nursing. I feel that I want to have more control over the care of my patients and be able to better assist them. I have seen roles such as ANPs but they don't seem to fully fill the role of a doctor which I feel would be the only logical next step?

Now my questions are two fold;
-How likely would I be to be accepted at a university to study post graduate medicine (assuming a decent BMAT/UKCAT score), if unlikely are there improvements I could make to increase my likeliness?
-Financially I would struggle going back to study medicine and would like to continue working as a nurse part time while I study. Is anybody aware of any rules or regulations etc that prohibits me from undertaking such an endeavour?

Your 2.2 may be an issue and I am not sure if your MA will make up for it, but I know someone who might!
@Antibiotics this looks like one for you!

Nurse to Doctor

Original post by NurDoc
Hi, so my questions may be considered to be somewhat obscure by some but are important to me.

I will start by first giving a little background so that people may better answer my questions. I am currently a Band 5 staff nurse that works in A&E (I have worked there for a year). I have a BSc (hons) in Bioscience (2.2 - mostly due to me having approximately 30% attendance) and a MA Degree (Distinction - I had 100% attendance) in Adult Nursing. I feel that I want to have more control over the care of my patients and be able to better assist them. I have seen roles such as ANPs but they don't seem to fully fill the role of a doctor which I feel would be the only logical next step?

Now my questions are two fold;
-How likely would I be to be accepted at a university to study post graduate medicine (assuming a decent BMAT/UKCAT score), if unlikely are there improvements I could make to increase my likeliness?
-Financially I would struggle going back to study medicine and would like to continue working as a nurse part time while I study. Is anybody aware of any rules or regulations etc that prohibits me from undertaking such an endeavour?

Your 2.2 may be an issue and I am not sure if your MA will make up for it, but I know someone who might!
@Antibiotics this looks like one for you!
Reply 1
From my research I have observed afew unis that state on their websites they would consider applicants with my qualifications, but how competitive would my application be when compared with others? Would me being a practising nurse within the NHS not have any weighting in my application or would I be in equal standing with any applicant?
Reply 2
See, lots of helpful people, thanks :smile:
There are details of GEM requirements at the end of this document
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
This is a question that would be difficult to answer considering that the average graduate entry medicine applicant is of very high quality academically. I would advise applying to those graduate entry courses that are more work experience focused such as Warwick and Nottingham
Original post by NurDoc
From my research I have observed afew unis that state on their websites they would consider applicants with my qualifications, but how competitive would my application be when compared with others? Would me being a practising nurse within the NHS not have any weighting in my application or would I be in equal standing with any applicant?
Unfortunately your choices are quite limited. As Royal Oak mentions, Nottingham is a viable option as well as Warwick and Swansea. It sounds like you aren’t planning on the GAMSAT, in which case I’d strongly suggest considering it for Nottingham and Swansea.You will need to get higher than 2:1 applicants for Nottingham. For Warwick you’ll need two types of experience totalling 70 hours. (One will need to be hands on care). You also need over average in the UKCAT verbal reasoning.

Kings might be an option but I think there might be a rule about practising two years as a nurse if you have a nursing qualification. Apologies I’m not sure what your nursing qualification counts as but Newcastle also say ‘practising healthcare professional with a post-registration qualification’

How are your a levels? You may have to consider looking at some five year courses but I understand you may not be able to fund that.

I do believe there’s a rule that you can’t work as a nurse part time, I have no idea of the reason why but I’ve heard this on the grape vine.
Reply 5
Original post by Antibiotics
It sounds like you aren’t planning on the GAMSAT, in which case I’d strongly suggest considering it for Nottingham and Swansea.alification’

How are your a levels? You may have to consider looking at some five year courses but I understand you may not be able to fund that.

GAMSAT just slipped my mind when I was writing this :P I haven't actually ruled it out. In regards to my A-Levels they were quite bad and I only just got into study my Bachelors degree. I had a really bad study ethic at highschool and college then at uni circumstances out of my control caused my attendance to fall to 30% again resulting in a disappointing result but during my masters I was able to focus and my grades reflected this
Original post by NurDoc
GAMSAT just slipped my mind when I was writing this :P I haven't actually ruled it out. In regards to my A-Levels they were quite bad and I only just got into study my Bachelors degree. I had a really bad study ethic at highschool and college then at uni circumstances out of my control caused my attendance to fall to 30% again resulting in a disappointing result but during my masters I was able to focus and my grades reflected this

If I were you I’d put everything I could into the September sitting of GAMSAT (register for this ASAP!). If you get a good score that’s two interviews. Then get a UKCAT of around 700 and you’ll be ok for Warwick, and it sounds like you have the experience, which will serve you very well at those unis for interviews. If you work hard enough at interview stage - you only need one interview offer to get a full offer! Good luck.

PS - my understanding is that uni admissions take quite a harsh view of extenuating circumstances, and it would probably have had to be well documented at the time of your bachelors. But it may be worth calling a few individual unis and seeing if they’d overlook the BSc grade.
Reply 7
Original post by Antibiotics
Unfortunately your choices are quite limited. As Royal Oak mentions, Nottingham is a viable option as well as Warwick and Swansea. It sounds like you aren’t planning on the GAMSAT, in which case I’d strongly suggest considering it for Nottingham and Swansea.You will need to get higher than 2:1 applicants for Nottingham. For Warwick you’ll need two types of experience totalling 70 hours. (One will need to be hands on care). You also need over average in the UKCAT verbal reasoning.

Kings might be an option but I think there might be a rule about practising two years as a nurse if you have a nursing qualification. Apologies I’m not sure what your nursing qualification counts as but Newcastle also say ‘practising healthcare professional with a post-registration qualification’

I do believe there’s a rule that you can’t work as a nurse part time, I have no idea of the reason why but I’ve heard this on the grape vine.

Looking at the MSC document, would SGUL be a possible option? Or is it just a MSc, MPhil, PhD they accept in lieu of a 2:1+?
Original post by GANFYD
Looking at the MSC document, would SGUL be a possible option? Or is it just a MSc, MPhil, PhD they accept in lieu of a 2:1+?

As far as I knew they stopped accepting students with 2:2s and masters. Looked it up and their website is a little vague on that point, might be worth OP contacting them
Reply 9
Original post by GANFYD

From what I have seen St.George's London, Newcastle, Nottingham, Warwick and Swansea MIGHT consider me based off of their website entry requirements. I am unsure though if I need to strengthen my application before applying and if I do what would suggestions be?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by NurDoc
From what I have seen St.George's London, Newcastle, Nottingham, Warwick and Swansea MIGHT consider me based off of their website entry requirements. I am unsure though if I need to strengthen my application before applying and if I do what would suggestions be?

I think ring SGUL and Newcastle. I have to say getting in top 5% of UKCAT scores (as needed this year for NCL) whilst also getting a high GAMSAT score is doable but very difficult - especially if you need to work.

There’s no way to ‘strengthen your application’, it’s not a holistic process it’s more of a tick box. Ie do you meet minimum entry requirements? Yes - then they take that list and literally rank the top however many for interview. PS counts for virtually nothing and any work experience again would be a tick box exercise rather than a sliding scale. at this stage all you can really do is make sure you do great in the entrance exams.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by NurDoc

As detailed above, GAMSAT and UCAT are key here. You are going to need a pretty high score in both. You also need to make sure you meet Warwick's WE criteria, as I don't think all of that can come from your Nursing.
Otherwise I'm not sure there is much you can do as A levels and BSc are what they are and there is nothing you can do to easily change those (unless you fance A level resits!). You have the experts on this thread above who have worked their way through it. GEM is not my area of expertise. I'm afraid
Reply 12
Original post by GANFYD
As detailed above, GAMSAT and UCAT are key here. You are going to need a pretty high score in both. You also need to make sure you meet Warwick's WE criteria, as I don't think all of that can come from your Nursing.
Otherwise I'm not sure there is much you can do as A levels and BSc are what they are and there is nothing you can do to easily change those (unless you fance A level resits!). You have the experts on this thread above who have worked their way through it. GEM is not my area of expertise. I'm afraid

I have also worked as a Health Care Assistant in an elderly home for nursing, dementia and residential patients for 3 Years while doing part of my Bachelor's Degree and during my Master's Degree, that should cover it between that and nursing?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by NurDoc
I have also worked as a Health Care Assistant in an elderly home for nursing, dementia and residential patients for 3 Years while doing part of my Bachelor's Degree and during my Master's Degree, that should cover it between that and nursing?

Yeah, but as long as it’s a completely distinct role from your nursing it should be fine. You’ll need to evidence this on letter headed paper from someone that worked there, good to get the ball rolling on asking people about that beforehand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending