The Student Room Group

£100 fine for...

Wyre Council initially told him that the fine would stand but as a gesture of good will they said they would extend the amount of time he had to pay by another two months.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/19/dog-warden-fines-pensioner-taking-pet-final-walk-put-10012817/

The faceless State machine strikes again!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Banning dogs from beaches is just a dickish thing to do. If you're worried about dog ****, then it's as easy to enforce a "pick it up" rule than it is to enforce a "no dogs" rule.
Original post by L i b
Banning dogs from beaches is just a dickish thing to do. If you're worried about dog ****, then it's as easy to enforce a "pick it up" rule than it is to enforce a "no dogs" rule.

Some people who go to the beach are legitimately scared of dogs.
Original post by Qup

Some people who walk around in major cities, or small towns, or public footpaths, are legitimately scared of dogs. Could ban dogs post brexit I suppose. I do have a strong dislike for any dog which is around cat size..or god forbid smaller.

That said I imagine this is a hygiene issue, I know multiple beaches where this is the case and the reasoning has always been hygiene, more a concern a child might come into contact with faeces. I mean a pick it up or face a hefty fine is one option, as you often get in parks, but I imagine it is harder to enforce on a beach.

The story says that they eventually waived the fine. I'd have paid it otherwise.
despite sad circumstances, there can be no exceptions to the rule. like any law has to be foolproof to prevent people finding loopholes.
Reply 6
Welcome to local government, the domain of the little Hitlers and other assorted busy bodies.
dogs on beaches is one of those things where you shouldn't need a rule, if you live in a society full of sensible and considerate people..

But we don't, there are plenty of ********s who let their dog run crazy around a beach.. destroying sandcastles, scaring little kids, crapping and peeing where there are kids playing in barefeet and with their bare hands.. Barking all the time etc.

Its a perfectly sensible option to split beaches into catagories, some let dogs do what ever they want, some allow dogs but with restrictions (times or leads), and some are no dogs. That way everyone can choose one that suits them. (And even then you get some ********s who don't obey the rules).

In this case it seems fine.. he was fined by someone who didn't think about the circumstances, but then it was later revoked when the problem rose up to someone who actually has a brain. Next time maybe the situation could be avoided if the dog owners told the life-guards/council workers what they were planning, before they did it.
Original post by L i b

excuse me I disagree

I'd like to enjoy a beach that does not have a wet dog smell (it's awful)

If you'r really concerned about that the move into the US because they're way too dog friendly...
Original post by L i b

How is it easier to enforce a "pick it up" rule than a "no dogs" rule? Not saying that I necessarily agree with the latter, but surely it's far easier to tell who owns a dog that you see on the beach than it is to find out whose dog a **** belongs to?
Reply 10
Original post by SHallowvale
How is it easier to enforce a "pick it up" rule than a "no dogs" rule? Not saying that I necessarily agree with the latter, but surely it's far easier to tell who owns a dog that you see on the beach than it is to find out whose dog a **** belongs to?

I didn't say it was "easier", I said it was "as easy". If you can be there to spot people walking dogs on the beach, then you can equally well be there to spot people's dogs ********.
Reply 11
Original post by Napp
Welcome to local government, the domain of the little Hitlers and other assorted busy bodies.

Come to my arms, the only one who hasn't been turned to stone by all this. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by fallen_acorns
In this case it seems fine.. he was fined by someone who didn't think about the circumstances, but then it was later revoked when the problem rose up to someone who actually has a brain.

It wasn't that straightforward, for that reason I highlighted the bit where they offered him the chance to spread his payments and the fine only kicked in when the dog's paws touched the ground. Owner says he fell off the cart and couldn't walk anyway, it's not as if he was going round ******** and causing a stir. So it wasn't that easy to find someone with a brain and a heart at the local council, it took a lot of effort and perseverance for them to turn it up.
Original post by L i b
I didn't say it was "easier", I said it was "as easy". If you can be there to spot people walking dogs on the beach, then you can equally well be there to spot people's dogs ********.

It's not though. If you spot some dog **** then there's no telling whose dog it came from. The dog who **** could have left hours ago.

It's easier to check a beach every hour or so for dogs than it is to closely watch dogs every other minute in case they **** and their owner doesn't clean it up.
Original post by Qup

And? People need to put up I’m afraid. People walking down the high street will also be scared of dogs, so should we ban them from the high street?

I can only ask, where is the famous British common sense? Clearly, the situation was different from that the ban was made for.

Original post by Qup

Some people are scared of bees. Ban bees from Earth!

Original post by fallen_acorns

In this case it seems fine.. he was fined by someone who didn't think about the circumstances, but then it was later revoked when the problem rose up to someone who actually has a brain. Next time maybe the situation could be avoided if the dog owners told the life-guards/council workers what they were planning, before they did it.

Nope, it's not Soviet Russia I presume, that you should ask the authorities for permission to visit public places.
The person who fined him either didn't think, or the people are paid for the amount of tickets they give, and they are *******s or desperate.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Qup

What would constitute a legitimate reason to be afraid of all dogs? They're a part of British culture along with their domestication.
Original post by Jebedee
What would constitute a legitimate reason to be afraid of all dogs? They're a part of British culture along with their domestication.

Unfortunately, many people who live in Britain don't like various aspect of British culture and would rather them changed, replaced or removed altogether. Also, phobia? Bad experiences with dogs?
Original post by Andrew97
And? People need to put up I’m afraid. People walking down the high street will also be scared of dogs, so should we ban them from the high street?

I never mentioned anything about banning dogs. I was responding to a user who assumed that the only reason why people wanted dogs banned was because of their poop.
Original post by Qup
Unfortunately, many people who live in Britain don't like various aspect of British culture and would rather them changed, replaced or removed altogether. Also, phobia? Bad experiences with dogs?

I never mentioned anything about banning dogs. I was responding to a user who assumed that the only reason why people wanted dogs banned was because of their poop.

Sure. But some have had bad experiences with humans too but no one bans them :tongue:
Original post by Jebedee

I had one jump in my pram as a baby and was uncomfortable around dogs for most of my childhood. Children who are short-sighted can be afraid because a dog suddenly comes into their sight. Certain parts of the autism spectrum include a fear of sudden noises, which a dog bark can be.

As for the original question, the ban on dogs on beaches is reasonable for health reasons, but as there was no intent for the dog to go on the beach, I think an exception could have been made about the fine. Unfortunately local authorities have been so starved of cash by the Tories over the last 9 years that such discretion is less likely than would previously have been the case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending