The Student Room Group

Choosing the "Right Sixth Form"

Hello! So results day is in August and enrolment is in September, which is a few months away. However, I would appreciate if someone could give me tips for choosing between schools to find the "right sixth form".

I have applied to 4 sixth forms and I like all of them, so I'm really unsure as to where I want to go to for my post-16 education!
Things to look at when your choosing sixth forms:
-Which sixth form is the closet to home?
-Does each one make you pay for transport?
-Does one sixth form offer academies? (some allow you do things like medics academy)
-Are there extra-curricular activities?
-What are the subscription numbers for that course? / does one sixth form consist of a small college?( therefore, you’ll have much smaller class groups)
-The main thing is, which sixth form do you personally prefer? And do they all offer the same course?
These are just some of the questions I’ve asked myself when applying to colleges. The “right sixth form” is whatever you think is the best for you. Also, well done on completing your exams! :smile:
I based mine off the overall vibe and the type of people that go there.
All of them had the same requirements and the same exam board so it was just down to the matter of wether I would feel comfortable. I would do a list of pros and cons and the one with the most pros is where you should go! My criteria of you’re curious:
- Local
- No dress code
- separate building for sixth form
- common room
- have opportunity for leadership roles
- have extracurriculars
- have opportunity to talk to alumni

I love my current school so choosing a school is important. If you like all of them, hopefully your choice won’t be difficult. Best of luck x
Original post by il_27
Hello! So results day is in August and enrolment is in September, which is a few months away. However, I would appreciate if someone could give me tips for choosing between schools to find the "right sixth form".

I have applied to 4 sixth forms and I like all of them, so I'm really unsure as to where I want to go to for my post-16 education!

How did the Induction days go? Which has better progress measures fir your A levels? Where did you feel 'at home'?
Reply 4
First of all thank you for your detailed tips and secondly well done for completing your exams as well.

Original post by Hazzabear
Things to look at when your choosing sixth forms:
-Which sixth form is the closet to home?
-Does each one make you pay for transport?
-Does one sixth form offer academies? (some allow you do things like medics academy)
-Are there extra-curricular activities?
-What are the subscription numbers for that course? / does one sixth form consist of a small college?( therefore, you’ll have much smaller class groups)
-The main thing is, which sixth form do you personally prefer? And do they all offer the same course?
These are just some of the questions I’ve asked myself when applying to colleges. The “right sixth form” is whatever you think is the best for you. Also, well done on completing your exams! :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for your suggestions and I will definitely be looking into the pros & cons of each school.
Original post by watershower
I based mine off the overall vibe and the type of people that go there.
All of them had the same requirements and the same exam board so it was just down to the matter of wether I would feel comfortable. I would do a list of pros and cons and the one with the most pros is where you should go! My criteria of you’re curious:
- Local
- No dress code
- separate building for sixth form
- common room
- have opportunity for leadership roles
- have extracurriculars
- have opportunity to talk to alumni

I love my current school so choosing a school is important. If you like all of them, hopefully your choice won’t be difficult. Best of luck x
Reply 6
Overall, the induction days went really well for all 4 sixth forms. Although there were a few things that I preferred in one school compared to the others (in each 'category', if you like). As for progress measures I'm not really sure about that yet? Finally, I liked two schools in particular after the induction day but I'm still unsure. :confused:
Original post by Muttley79
How did the Induction days go? Which has better progress measures fir your A levels? Where did you feel 'at home'?
Original post by il_27
Overall, the induction days went really well for all 4 sixth forms. Although there were a few things that I preferred in one school compared to the others (in each 'category', if you like). As for progress measures I'm not really sure about that yet? Finally, I liked two schools in particular after the induction day but I'm still unsure. :confused:

Th progress measures should be in the prospectus or the school website, failing that look at the DfE performance tables..
Reply 8
Oh... I understand now :biggrin: Well two of the schools have a progress score which is above average and two have an average score.
Original post by Muttley79
Th progress measures should be in the prospectus or the school website, failing that look at the DfE performance tables..
Original post by il_27
Oh... I understand now :biggrin: Well two of the schools have a progress score which is above average and two have an average score.

Check the 16 to 18 data not Progress 8 :smile:
Check the league tables and compare for all of the schools. Also attend any induction days and observe what the crowd is like at each, as well as the student-teacher relationships.

After going to a few different schools' induction days I saw that at one particular school the people who would be my peers (if I decide to study there) were very rowdy and disruptive and I don't necessarily want to be studying for my A Levels in an environment like that! Your peers can influence you greatly.

These are just a few things to consider but there are many others too.

I hope you choose the best sixth form for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending