The Student Room Group

Help with Personal Statement!

Hi :smile: I’m applying to study English Literature and Spanish ab initio at Universities like Birmingham and Exeter.

I’m finding it difficult to think of ways show in my personal statement that these two subjects can be taught together and is why they have been put together in the first place.

I’m structuring my personal statement in terms of my 4 interests...

- dystopian literature
- presentation of class
- language
- Hispanic culture/history (which isn’t a particular interest of mine because I don’t know much about it yet but in the course this is an integrated focus with the language learning)

Can anyone give me advice of how to do this? I intend to talk about some of these books: Vox, Handmaids Tale, 1984, Hunger Games, We (dystopian) and Paula and Requiem por un (Hispanic literature I’ve read). I’m also going to include talk about some Irish and Spanish poetry I’ve read e.g. Seamus heaney or yeats maybe and Lorca.
Reply 1
Hi :smile: I’m applying to study English Literature and Spanish ab initio at Universities like Birmingham and Exeter.

I’m finding it difficult to think of ways show in my personal statement that these two subjects can be taught together and is why they have been put together in the first place.

- dystopian literature
- presentation of class
- language
- Hispanic culture/history (which isn’t a particular interest of mine because I don’t know much about it yet but in the course this is an integrated focus with the language learning)

Can anyone give me advice of how to do this? I intend to talk about some of these books: Vox, Handmaids Tale, 1984, Hunger Games, We (dystopian) and Paula and Requiem por un (Hispanic literature I’ve read). I’m also going to include talk about some Irish and Spanish poetry I’ve read e.g. Seamus heaney or yeats maybe and Lorca.
Original post by Josh5718

- dystopian literature
- presentation of class
- language

I think you are focusing too much on your interests within the subjects, rather than your skills and aptitude for the course and university level study. Talk about your strengths and show evidence of these. Link your A levels to your chosen course. You don't need to link English Lit and Spanish per se, as they won't necessarily by taught as one cohesive unit.
Hi Josh5718. English Lit and a Modern Language is a very common combination here at Exeter, so we are used to receiving applications from students who wish to study both. A personal statement should reflect your passion for the subject(s) you wish to study, what particularly interests and motives you to learn about the subject(s) and why you wish to read the subject(s) at university level. From your post it seems that you have already given this lots of thought and have a lot of relevant and interesting content. Try not to over worry as this may overwork it a bit and not allow your personality and passion to come through.
Since you mentioned Exeter, I think you should know that the most important aspect of your application for us will be your achieved or predicted academic results, as we believe this is the best predictor for success on one of our degree programmes. Personal statements are considered, but mainly to identify any mitigating or extenuating circumstances that may have affected your achieved or predicted grades. All universities are different though and some put more emphasis on the personal statement, so it's worth making it the best you can.
Hope that this helps.
Karen
Reply 4
Thank you for your reply! Your advice is so valuable to me. I understand that that’s what I need to let shine through in my personal statement, however I wanted to make a point of saying why I think these two subjects compliment each other and give evidence as to how I’ve shown this with the literature I’ve read. One question though...I’m applying to study Spanish from beginners level because I haven’t studied the A Level. How do you think I can show my aptitude and enthusiasm for the language?
Original post by Uni of Exeter
Hi Josh5718. English Lit and a Modern Language is a very common combination here at Exeter, so we are used to receiving applications from students who wish to study both. A personal statement should reflect your passion for the subject(s) you wish to study, what particularly interests and motives you to learn about the subject(s) and why you wish to read the subject(s) at university level. From your post it seems that you have already given this lots of thought and have a lot of relevant and interesting content. Try not to over worry as this may overwork it a bit and not allow your personality and passion to come through.
Since you mentioned Exeter, I think you should know that the most important aspect of your application for us will be your achieved or predicted academic results, as we believe this is the best predictor for success on one of our degree programmes. Personal statements are considered, but mainly to identify any mitigating or extenuating circumstances that may have affected your achieved or predicted grades. All universities are different though and some put more emphasis on the personal statement, so it's worth making it the best you can.
Hope that this helps.
Karen

- dystopian literature
- presentation of class
- language

sorry just to clarify? you're applying to them as a joint degree?
Reply 6
Yes! :smile:
Original post by claireestelle
sorry just to clarify? you're applying to them as a joint degree?
Reply 8
How do I show that Spanish and English Literature link and that they should be taught alongside each other?
Reply 9
I dont think you really need to explain that in your personal statement . My personal statement was about me and the skills and experience i have to show my ability to do the course . Dont think too much into it jus show that your capable
Hope this helps ?
Thank you for your reply! Your advice is so valuable to me. I understand that that’s what I need to let shine through in my personal statement, however I wanted to make a point of saying why I think these two subjects compliment each other and give evidence as to how I’ve shown this with the literature I’ve read. One question though...I’m applying to study Spanish from beginners level because I haven’t studied the A Level. How do you think I can show my aptitude and enthusiasm for the language?

Glad you found the post helpful. As for demonstrating enthusiasm anything that shows your knowledge of the depth and breadth of the Hispanic world - including South and Central America and the growing significance of Spanish and Hispanic culture in the USA.This could be film, personal travel, art, politics, history etc. also tied in with literature. An aptitude in a new language is harder to demonstrate but as a requirement for Exeter is grade B/5 at GCSE in a modern language your could reference your love, ability at learning languages?
Karen
Reply 11
That’s help a lot thank you! I think I’m thinking into it too much
Original post by chanel.x
I dont think you really need to explain that in your personal statement . My personal statement was about me and the skills and experience i have to show my ability to do the course . Dont think too much into it jus show that your capable
Hope this helps ?
You only really need to show your interest for the subjects alone. I know somebody who applied for Spanish and Maths, and I swear she never linked them. You could mention the book and/or film study (I assume you have done that as part of the A level) but past there, I don't think there's a need

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending