The Student Room Group

Japan can't say sorry

why do people overlook the fact that Japan has refused to acknowledge their part in the Rape of Nanking and other horrendous was crimes? I would go to say that Japan is worse than Germany in this regard as Germany has tried its best to move past its history and help those affected by it but Japan does the complete opposite. theres a shrine that commemorates 100 war criminals 14 of which are class-A criminals which are the equivalent to Hitler or Himmler. one of their prime ministers was a class-A war criminal. why do people refuse to believe that Japan is anything other than a cute, peaceful nation and why have the UN not made Japan apologise to China, Korea etc?
Better that than to go into an endless state of self-loathing
Reply 2
Original post by JacktheJoker1989
why do people overlook the fact that Japan has refused to acknowledge their part in the Rape of Nanking and other horrendous was crimes? I would go to say that Japan is worse than Germany in this regard as Germany has tried its best to move past its history and help those affected by it but Japan does the complete opposite. theres a shrine that commemorates 100 war criminals 14 of which are class-A criminals which are the equivalent to Hitler or Himmler. one of their prime ministers was a class-A war criminal. why do people refuse to believe that Japan is anything other than a cute, peaceful nation and why have the UN not made Japan apologise to China, Korea etc?

Fewer people know about The Nanjing Massacre than you'd imagine, let alone heard of it, regretfully.
(edited 4 years ago)
Fewer*
Original post by liam.ro
Less people know about The Nanjing Massacre than you'd imagine, let alone heard of it, regretfully.
Reply 4
theres a shrine that commemorates 100 war criminals 14 of which are class-A criminals which are the equivalent to Hitler or Himmler.

No, just no.
why have the UN not made Japan apologise to China, Korea etc?

Because they couldnt even if they wanted to.
Reply 5
cause why would they admit to it, they've basically gotten away with, so why would they draw attention to it. The Japanese government doesn't care about apologizing for something a previous government did and why would they
They had two nukes dropped on them tbf lads
In the words of Elton John, sorry seems to be the hardest word.
Reply 8
Original post by C.Goodyear

Is this and lying the only two options?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war_apology_statements_issued_by_Japan
Original post by Napp
No, just no.

Because they couldnt even if they wanted to.

What do you mean "no. Just no"? Class A war criminals are the highest grade of war criminal possible and therefore hitler , Himmler, Goebbels etc were all class A criminals and so were the 14 in the shrine. I'm not giving my opinion. Its literally a fact.
Reply 11
What do you mean "no. Just no"? Class A war criminals are the highest grade of war criminal possible and therefore hitler , Himmler, Goebbels etc were all class A criminals and so were the 14 in the shrine. I'm not giving my opinion. Its literally a fact.

Its fairly self explanatory. As nasty as some of the Japs were they werent on a par with Hitler who burned Europe and actually started the war.
Why they should say sorry for what Japan did in the past? yep, it was an inhuman crime during world war II what the Japanese did, but it is over! the country look forward, not back as the Germans still do because of the horrible nazi period.

Original post by C.Goodyear

Tell this most of the Germans, they don't get it.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
They had two nukes dropped on them tbf lads

A single battle in Europe could cause more casualties among civilians than both the bombs together.

Besides, why does that matter anyway?
What benefit would there be in the modern-day Japanese folk apologising for something their ancestors did?

Russia is just as bad. As the Red Army advanced to Berlin, they raped literally millions of German girls and women. The you gest victim was 4 and the oldest was in her 80s. Literally one of the most disgusting crimes in history and unfortunately something my grandparents remember like it happened yesterday

I would say those who are aware of the atrocities of Japan know just how horrific it was, tbh I have heard stories past on from family members (who heard from other family members directly affected) about the torture on allied soldiers (including Brits) during ww2, and what ive heard is pretty shocking and yes it is never talked about.

I think the shear volume of western soldiers who faced these horrific acts just happens to be much lower and hence less is known, its also much further from home so to speak. And since WW2 Japan has made serious efforts to mend their ways, I do believe they don't have an army nowadays and have very strict policies regarding this and they do make an active effort to show penance however the reality is they cant take back what has happened.
Original post by mnot
I would say those who are aware of the atrocities of Japan know just how horrific it was, tbh I have heard stories past on from family members (who heard from other family members directly affected) about the torture on allied soldiers (including Brits) during ww2, and what ive heard is pretty shocking and yes it is never talked about.

I think the shear volume of western soldiers who faced these horrific acts just happens to be much lower and hence less is known, its also much further from home so to speak. And since WW2 Japan has made serious efforts to mend their ways, I do believe they don't have an army nowadays and have very strict policies regarding this and they do make an active effort to show penance however the reality is they cant take back what has happened.

I’d say it’s often what civilians have encountered that gets forgotten about. The Dresden bombing springs to mind - a furnace was created and the entire city, which was only full of refugees, women and children all burned to death. I find tragedies like these rarely discussed and as a German I get weird looks for mentioning them outside of Germany. There seems to be a mentality that as a German, my family must’ve been collaborators...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending