The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My test is on the 29th of August and I'm struggling with VR. I find it impossible to spend less than 30 seconds on a question (medify). It takes me an average of 1-2 minutes to get answers for the inference question types. Would it be better if i rush and answer all the questions in 30 seconds without being 100% or should i spend a few more seconds on some question to guarantee answers and guess the rest?
Also, should i focus my practice time strictly on medify/practice questions or should i split my practice 50% practice questions and 50% reading newspapers trying to improve my reading speed?
I know Birmingham have a new scoring system for interviews. 1/7th of the total interview score is based on SJT result. The following scoring system will be applied to the SJT result:
Band 1 = Maximum
Band 2 = 2/3 of maximum
Band 3 = 1/3 of maximum
Band 4 = 0
Original post by Polkadot2018
Which universities use SJT as a station of their MMI process? I’m just trying to work out where I might lose marks if I’m lucky enough to get an interview but end up not doing so well on the SJT section of the UCAT.
What scores did you get?
Original post by lastlullabyy
No, I couldn’t - I’m a graduate who lives in Scotland and can only afford to study in Scotland. Doesn’t really matter now whether I qualify when I’m 31, 32 or 33 🙈 but thanks!

But advice about UCAT compared to Medify:

VR: I wouldn’t say that passages were necesserily longer but definitely trickier.

DM: Bit more difficult in my opinion than Medify but the style of questions compared to mocks there on point.

QR: Much easier than Medify, a lot of percentages and simple calculations.

AR: Similar to Medify.

SJT: Bit “harder” than Medify. Also had questions with quotations asking what would be appropriate to say exactly.

And don’t get too hang up on the mock results - they don’t really mean much on the day!
Original post by student0299
Yeah you can. Just make sure before you start that ‘num lock’ is turned on

Great! Thank you but what does 'num lock' do, why does it need to be turned on?
Original post by Sososnake
What scores did you get?

610, 610, 650, 630 and Band 1. 2490, 622.5.

Treating it as practice for next year - and won’t have to worry about interview a day after my wedding 😂

I was getting 840-670s in VR. Got 730 in mini mock this morning. But screwed it up in the real thing. Hence why my advice would be not to worry too much about mock results.
Wow it’s a shame you can’t apply even though you have really good results!
Original post by lastlullabyy
610, 610, 650, 630 and Band 1. 2490, 622.5.

Treating it as practice for next year - and won’t have to worry about interview a day after my wedding 😂

I was getting 840-670s in VR. Got 730 in mini mock this morning. But screwed it up in the real thing. Hence why my advice would be not to worry too much about mock results.
Does anyone have any tips for the venn diagram questions where you have to choose the most appropriate Venn diagram given the information? Decision making section
Thank you for sharing!
Original post by rose_11
Hi

I guess its a bit late to reply, but do check out the website called " Pass medicine " U can google it. they have 3 free mocks and 5 practice tests for each section in the UCAT. I'm using that alongside Medify. Its an awesome source for free practice, u just have to create an account,, that's it.
Hope u find it helpful
I would say try to initially draw it by yourself based on the info given then select the one that matches your answer, I skip these questions initially then return to them to avoid wasting time on them.
Original post by Sososnake
Does anyone have any tips for the venn diagram questions where you have to choose the most appropriate Venn diagram given the information? Decision making section
Ok thanks, I usually get half of them right at the cost of extra time (maybe 1.5 mins) so I’ll practice them with your method, thanks!
Original post by UltraVioletxo
I would say try to initially draw it by yourself based on the info given then select the one that matches your answer, I skip these questions initially then return to them to avoid wasting time on them.
Just did the official practice test A on the UCAT website. Finished it and clicked exit full screen, and the test reset to the start before I'd seen my scores. Devastating haha
It turns on the number keypad on the right of the keyboard. When I first sat the UCAT I didn’t realise it wasn’t turned on for my keyboard until the very end of QR so throughout that whole section I had to manually click the number buttons because the numbers at the top took too long for me to type out. And because it took longer I ended up not finishing the QR section and had to guess a lot of the answers
Original post by Crazypink48
Great! Thank you but what does 'num lock' do, why does it need to be turned on?
Is the QR section of medify and accurate rep of the the actual UCAT exam? Doing the questions, I am finding them much easier than the official UCAT bank and not at all how everyone is describing them?
Reply 1173
I want to cry, english is my third language and the time for VR is nothing for me! Anyone has ANY advice of how to improve?
I am soo scared that because of the english I will mess it up...
DM same I feel sometimes that I have to break and FBI code rather than answering a question..

I need a way to get this sorted out. I don't want to give up but it makes me stressed
I am using MEDIFY is it good??????????
Some people told me not to use it as is not accurate
Reply 1174
What is num lock???
Original post by student0299
It turns on the number keypad on the right of the keyboard. When I first sat the UCAT I didn’t realise it wasn’t turned on for my keyboard until the very end of QR so throughout that whole section I had to manually click the number buttons because the numbers at the top took too long for me to type out. And because it took longer I ended up not finishing the QR section and had to guess a lot of the answers
I have my UCAT in the next 3 days. I have used only the Kaplan score higher on the UCAT book and all the questions on their official website/app. How much contrasting is the actual test as compared to all that I have done? I am totally shocked at my score....barely managing to score around 589. Please help....I am dying!!!!!:confused::frown:

Spoiler

hello
I am getting a bit worried about my scores- what were people getting in the official UCAT mock tests compared to the real thing?

Thanks
i've heard kaplan is harder than the real thing from a few people but not 100% sure, i tried it myself and found it harder than medify and people say medify is mostly quite accurate so hopefully you should be fine, good luck!
Original post by Soham3600
I have my UCAT in the next 3 days. I have used only the Kaplan score higher on the UCAT book and all the questions on their official website/app. How much contrasting is the actual test as compared to all that I have done? I am totally shocked at my score....barely managing to score around 589. Please help....I am dying!!!!!:confused::frown:

Spoiler

Yes medify is very good, if I were you I’d keep practicing VR and DM, but also make sure you score as high as possible in QR and AR to make up for the lower scores, good luck!
Original post by _Ary_
I want to cry, english is my third language and the time for VR is nothing for me! Anyone has ANY advice of how to improve?
I am soo scared that because of the english I will mess it up...
DM same I feel sometimes that I have to break and FBI code rather than answering a question..

I need a way to get this sorted out. I don't want to give up but it makes me stressed
I am using MEDIFY is it good??????????
Some people told me not to use it as is not accurate
You know how there’s three green lights that come on: one when you press scroll lock, one when you press caps lock and one when you press num lock. Make sure the light for num lock is on and that means you can use the number keypad. The lights are usually at the top of the keyboard if that makes sense
Original post by _Ary_
What is num lock???

Latest

Trending

Trending