The Student Room Group

A level Geography without taking the GCSE....

I was just wondering as I MIGHT do Geography A level alongside History and English literature, how hard it is? Like what's the homework like, the class environment, etc?
Could do keep on top of A level geography with these a levels and get a good grade without the GCSE was what I was wondering, thank you in advance!!
Reply 1
Hi, I’m doing a level geography going into year 13. It’s definitely possible to do a level geography without the GCSE, but first why have you considered it if you didn’t do the gcse? Was it not on offer? The human geography side from year 12 is new content, your history and English literature will help with that side. However, the physical geography side often develops from stuff you learn in GCSE, like coasts, rivers, oxbow lakes, meanders, volcanoes, earthquakes etc. I’d recommend you watch some you tube videos on physical geography topics for GCSE or do some prior reading on BBC bitesize.
Reply 2
First of all, I chose to do A level Geography as I figured out it would open up more doors for me than picking something like English language or Psychology in my own opinion anyway. I liked the human side to Geography A level like climate change, barriers of protection like groynes, stuff like tectonic plates and coastal erosion. I picked GCSE History and my school wouldn't allow me to do two humanities hence why I didn't pick Geography.
Thank you for the advice about learning GCSE content on physical geography, I definitely will be doing my research on that! Also, the beneficial side to what you've mentioned is that I do like what you've mentioned on physical geography.
Original post by Deggs_14
Hi, I’m doing a level geography going into year 13. It’s definitely possible to do a level geography without the GCSE, but first why have you considered it if you didn’t do the gcse? Was it not on offer? The human geography side from year 12 is new content, your history and English literature will help with that side. However, the physical geography side often develops from stuff you learn in GCSE, like coasts, rivers, oxbow lakes, meanders, volcanoes, earthquakes etc. I’d recommend you watch some you tube videos on physical geography topics for GCSE or do some prior reading on BBC bitesize.
Reply 3
That’s cool! Good luck with Sixth Form!
Original post by Manip01
First of all, I chose to do A level Geography as I figured out it would open up more doors for me than picking something like English language or Psychology in my own opinion anyway. I liked the human side to Geography A level like climate change, barriers of protection like groynes, stuff like tectonic plates and coastal erosion. I picked GCSE History and my school wouldn't allow me to do two humanities hence why I didn't pick Geography.
Thank you for the advice about learning GCSE content on physical geography, I definitely will be doing my research on that! Also, the beneficial side to what you've mentioned is that I do like what you've mentioned on physical geography.
Original post by Manip01

Check with the 6th form/college that its possible, as some places might require you to have done it at GCSE.
But you should be fine with it.
Original post by Manip01
I was just wondering as I MIGHT do Geography A level alongside History and English literature, how hard it is? Like what's the homework like, the class environment, etc?
Could do keep on top of A level geography with these a levels and get a good grade without the GCSE was what I was wondering, thank you in advance!!

Seen as you haven't had any GCSE exposure to geography, I can't say that you won't struggle initially. A Level geography heavily builds on GCSE content, and a level of pre-existing knowledge is assumed. Looking at your other subjects, I'd expect you'd handle the essay component of the subject quite well in terms of language and structure, though your ability to analyse, evaluate and apply geographical content is going to be somewhat behind your peers. The human side you may find easier than the physical, which is really a medley of economics, sociology and environmental studies all pinned along a spatial framework compared to the more scientific nature of physical geography. Be aware that data analysis and mathematical skills are needed throughout, though you can brush up on this as you go along the course.

Quick Reply

Latest