The Student Room Group

I think I'm screwed

I just did my highers and I failed all of them (all above N/A but below A). I took five subjects English, Maths, Physics, Art
Original post by Saucy_Boi28
I just did my highers and I failed all of them (all above N/A but below A). I took five subjects English, Maths, Physics, Art

Depends on what you want to do with your highers

What is it you want to do next? Are you going back for S6? Do you mind me asking your grades- it's just you've said you've failed and also that they're all above N/A, so a bit confused :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by Labrador99
What is it you want to do next? Are you going back for S6? Do you mind me asking your grades- it's just you've said you've failed and also that they're all above N/A, so a bit confused :redface:

I am going back to school. I wanted to be a mechanical engineer but seeing as I got a D grade on the two vital subjects I guess that's not happening. I want to resit maths and chemistry but I don't know if I can resit chemistry seeing as I got a C grade. I have just over two weeks to redesign what I want to do for uni and I honestly just want to cry and hide in a hole.
(edited 4 years ago)
I am going back to school. I wanted to be a mechanical engineer but seeing as I got a D grade on the two vital subjects I guess that's not happening. I want to resit maths and chemistry but I don't know if I can resit chemistry seeing as I got a C grade. I have just over two weeks to redesign what I want to do for uni and I honestly just want to cry and hide in a hole.

If mechanical engineering is what you're wanting to do, there will be other ways to do it, even if your grades this time weren't what you needed for it- I obviously don't know how your maths/physics usually is and whether it's the exams that didn't go as expected, or if it was the course, or the teaching style that you struggled with...There's quite a lot of apprenticeship options for engineering, so that might be an option?
You should be able to resit chemistry if you're wanting to get a better grade in it :smile:
Don't pressurise yourself too much to decide the next 5 years in a fortnight- no matter what subjects you do this year, there can still be lots of options open to you :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Labrador99
If mechanical engineering is what you're wanting to do, there will be other ways to do it, even if your grades this time weren't what you needed for it- I obviously don't know how your maths/physics usually is and whether it's the exams that didn't go as expected, or if it was the course, or the teaching style that you struggled with...There's quite a lot of apprenticeship options for engineering, so that might be an option?
You should be able to resit chemistry if you're wanting to get a better grade in it :smile:
Don't pressurise yourself too much to decide the next 5 years in a fortnight- no matter what subjects you do this year, there can still be lots of options open to you :smile:

Thank you for the morale boost. Now I just need to work up the nerve to tell my parents when they come home.
Thank you for the morale boost. Now I just need to work up the nerve to tell my parents when they come home.

No problem :smile: It's a difficult one, especially if it's not what they were expecting :redface: If you've done your best in the exams (and keeping in mind your best one day isn't the same as your best the next or previous day) there's nothing more you could have done. Hopefully they will understand that and that what's happened in the 2019 exams can't be changed, so the best thing they can do is support you in progressing into S6 :smile:

I'm sorry you're in this situation- it must feel horrible. Hopefully in the future, you can look back and realise it was better to find out now rather than a year or 2 into uni that perhaps this path wasn't right for you.

As you're able to go back to school, hopefully you can spend some time in September talking to your teachers about suitable subjects and where to go next. You can hopefully also spend some time going to open days and trying to find other courses that interest you.

You've got plenty of time to figure the next steps out- you don't have to go to uni straight from school after all!
Reply 8
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I'm sorry you're in this situation- it must feel horrible. Hopefully in the future, you can look back and realise it was better to find out now rather than a year or 2 into uni that perhaps this path wasn't right for you.

As you're able to go back to school, hopefully you can spend some time in September talking to your teachers about suitable subjects and where to go next. You can hopefully also spend some time going to open days and trying to find other courses that interest you.

You've got plenty of time to figure the next steps out- you don't have to go to uni straight from school after all!

Thank you, that means a lot to me right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending