The Student Room Group

grade boundaries predictions??/

so.... results day is just over a week away.... how do you all feel?? are there any predictions for how high/low the grade boundaries will be?? i heard from my science teacher that 65% in combined aqa science will be an 8-8 grade. are there any more predictions like this?? let me know (im so stressed!)

Scroll to see replies

i am so so so so so scared. i’m literally ****ting it for results day, in the same position as you. i heard for maths it may be lower, and i need that because i am seriously FAILING maths because of how hard it was (i did higher OCR maths). anyways, i’m really scared and just HOPE the boundaries set are low because i’m dying right now and i don’t want to be booted back to my homelands on results day.
Reply 2
A levels grade boundaries were low apparently (in maths), I dont think/know if that affects GCSE's because they both are new. Somebody told me that this year they will be higher because last year they were low so they are trying to find a balance but they wont rise too much, if thats true.

65% 8-8 sounds about right, and Im hoping I can get an 8 or 9 since I came down from triple!

If maths is low that will be great since Paper 1 was a disaster for me, how did you guys find the exams?
For me, English was hard (what I expected), Maths was average (Paper 1 really hard, paper 2 easy, paper 3 average). History was hard, geography was a piss take, Science was pretty good, although there were some questions that proper stumped me, like the surface area one!!
GCSE EDEXCEL Maths got leaked
Reply 4
Original post by Ryan0887
GCSE EDEXCEL Maths got leaked

It was A-level not gcse?
There is one on twitter
Reply 6
There is one on twitter

Link
it's from @TaylorH43133060
Pearson didn't reply so it will be real.
Reply 9
it's from @TaylorH43133060

thats not possible
Ik, they seem really really high.
Reply 11
Ik, they seem really really high.

Yeah, surely its fake?
Original post by shadg
Yeah, surely its fake?

Well, Edexcel replies if they are fake and it's been like 15 hours and there's been no reply which normally means they are real. A level got leaked the same time
Reply 13
Well, Edexcel replies if they are fake and it's been like 15 hours and there's been no reply which normally means they are real. A level got leaked the same time

A level results were leaked 24hrs before, I think thats quite usual
I'm not saying they are real but they look legit.
Reply 15
I'm not saying they are real but they look legit.

you can just inspect element and change the grades, post it online and spread it
That's one possibility
Reply 17
That's one possibility

Level 9 mark jumped 32, yet the foundation are exactly the same? hmm
Reply 18
Original post by shadg
you can just inspect element and change the grades, post it online and spread it

that's something you can definitely do.
The boundaries look exceedingly high. 121 for a 5? Bull. It's usually around 80 for a 5 or there abouts that about an extra 40 marks. Half of an entire paper and paper 1 was a tough paper and paper 3 was about average. Paper 2 was only easy if you knew the more obscure topics. No valid reason for them to be that high.

Even when an exam series gets REALLY easy or REALLY hard, the lower grades don't tend to fluctuate. If you're achieving 4's 5's or even 6's on a consecutive basis you'll likely achieve them. It's only 7's 8's and 9's where you see noticeable differences.

You'll note in revision guides each topic usually has a designated grade. For example sine and cosine rules are somewhere in the top band of grades. With the grade 4 5 and 6 topics, the content can't be changed that much, or atleast the techniques and questions will never be too hard since they are DESIGNED to be accessible for grade 4 5 and 6 students to pick up sufficient marks for those grades. It may have been easier tests for a regular grade 7 8 or 9 student, but it would've been just as hard for a 4 5 or maybe a 6. Therefore the grades should only be exceedingly high for 7 8 or 9. it's unrealistic to expect a grade 4 student to be achieving 99 marks. DOUBLE the average in past years. Because they won't, if they couldnt answer the high graded questions last time, they wouldn't have been able to in the real exam so there's no reason for them to be so high. It's bull. don't believe that post.

ALSO please note there's a WHOLE 99 (round to 100) marks between a fail and pass (ridiculous). Another 22 between pass and good pass (reasonable). But then the oddities come in. the difference between 5 and a 6 and 6 and a 7 are usually the highest because they define the real grades. It is the difference between C, B and A equivalent grades. They will always have the highest gaps to THOROUGHLY distinguish who the C,B and A candidates are. the difference between a standard C (4) and a good c (5) and difference between standard A (7) and strong A/best A (8/9) will always be the smallest. HOWEVER in this """leak""" the difference between a B and an A grade... is only 12 marks? Just as I thought... trash. It's stupid, the B and A grade gaps, especially for *these* tests, are not gonna be a measly 12 marks out of a 240 total mark subject.

The fact the leak claims the difference between a fail and a pass is 99 marks and the difference between C and B equivalents is 21 YET the difference between the B grade (which has no sub-categories, C is divided into grade 4 and 5, A divided into 7,8,9 whereas B only has the grade 6) and an A grade, the DEFINING grades.... is only 12..screams VOLUMES. It basically gives the entire thing away as bull.

It's very likely to be inspect element. NOTHING on that post states the year of examination, could easily be edited from the 2018 or even 2017 scheme. Thinking about it logically, A level results came out today, and that's a post with.. what? 1 like? It's only natural Edexcel would have been responding to other posts and concerns about *real* issues for A level students today rather than silly little games people are pranking with results. Especially since it wouldn't change our grade this late in the game. whats done is done. If they give a response at all it'll be in the next couple of days if someone remembers to tag them in the post when they're feed isn't cluttered with A level. and if they dont give a response, remember it's an unrealistic standard and I promise you

If this was real you would find the lowest pass rates in british history for mathematics and likely other subjects. Many people would be rejected from A-level education and there would be a national uproar about it , which is the last thing the british government needs right now, another blow to their educations system. So that's pretty reassuring if you're not convinced it's fake.

Finally, there's one piece of compelling evidence it's fake. The account itself. No profile picture. "Joined August 2019". Some random guy has created an anonymous account today to avoid backlash and to make it seem as legit as possible so they can post fake results.

Also remember the picture uploaded is not a screenshot, it's an image taken of a computer screen on a phone. It's a kid, who's inspected element or photoshopped and then put it on a new twitter account. Easy to do, by anyone. The fact it's a picture of a screen is rather telling, wouldn't you agree? If this was legitimate it would mean one of two possibilities. A.) it's a hacker, one proficient enough to break into heavily encrypted data from a worldwide examination organisation.... and then they post it on their new 0 follower account. In other words it's not true, a hacker would upload it to their untrackable populated account. Option B.) It's a high-ranking employee of Edexcel, one too far up the ranks to have permission to even *view* this file. Anyone that far up chain of command wouldn't leak stuff anyway, and once again if they did they'd be smarter about posting it to a random 0 follower new twitter account, it'd go on 4chan or some other leak heavy source.

and now for the final thing that absolutely 100% shows its fake is:

Literally all the other grade boundaries for the other subjects are EXACTLY the same as 2018.
The music grade boundary for 2018 went 167, 155, 144, 131..... exactly the same as that "leak"
the maths foundations grade boundaries also hasnt changed at all since 2018 apparantly.
In other words the leaker is stupid as hell, like i genuinely think the screws on his brain have come loose cause he forgot to inspect element the other subjects. What a fool.

tl;dr: it's 100% fake. The account is new and bland, the picture is taken in a format only accessible to impossibilities. Unrealistic grade expectations.

Remember this stuff happens EVERY year, it happened multiple times last year when the tests were hard as hell. It's bog-standard prank some sweaty lazy 16 year old made in 5 minutes cause they were bored. No more. No less.
(edited 4 years ago)

that’s what i thought

Quick Reply

Latest