The Student Room Group

TC for a MC/silver circle firm in London with ABB?

Hi guys,
Just wanted to know what the possibilities are like for me to gain a contract at a magic circle/silver circle firm, with just ABB at a-levels, but hopefully a 2:1 in Law from Exeter. I will start university this September, and will obviously try to gain as much work experience and get involved in as much extra-curricular activities as possible. I have already shadowed a barrister at a London chambers firm, which could be the start of building up my CV.

Scroll to see replies

What is it w TSR’s obsession with magic circle firms?
Original post by Aaryra
What is it w TSR’s obsession with magic circle firms?

Why shouldn't people aim high?

OP it depends completely on the firm and their requirements. You could always email their grad recruitment teams and ask?
Its very difficult to tell, firms want a complete package, your A level grades and institutions are great. The MC is very competitive however I would say you have a fairly decent chance as long as your first year grades are good.
True, I just mean that someone has to work there and ambition isn't a bad thing. But then neither is realism so I take your point.
Reply 5
Whilst some people may have this mentality, you can’t just generalise people who have ambitions to work in MC firms like that. I don’t want to work in a MC firm because it sounds cool, or so that I can boast, or for the money. That superficial mindset will not get you far. I have a general interest and passion for Law and the way it affects everyday aspects of life, how it is reinforced to maintain social order, and the boundaries that are created in keeping people feeling safe in their everyday life. I also have aspirations to aim high, and excel in everything I do. I have done my research into the role of these firms and what these barristers do. I want to be able to earn my place in a top firm, to make myself proud and know the hard work and dedication I have put in to achieve that position. Of course we don’t know what working for them is like, no one knows until you actually work there yourself. That’s where work experience and training programmes come into hand. I know there is hard labour that comes behind the glitz and glamours of working for a MC firm. So whether it’s realistic or not, what’s so wrong with obsessing over wanting the best for yourself?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
I will do that, thank you.

Original post by Duane2501
Why shouldn't people aim high?

OP it depends completely on the firm and their requirements. You could always email their grad recruitment teams and ask?
You were doing so well

"...and what these barristers do."

They're a firm of solicitors, not a set of barristers.
Original post by ellie002
well sorry for not being perfect, I’m only 18.

No offence meant, but attention to detail is key for law firms (MC included) so it is helpful to be pulled up on mistakes :smile: its a pedantic profession so better to get used to it!

As I said above, the best people to ask would be the grad recruitment teams. They can give you a clear idea of their requirements. Don't be discouraged if they say no though, there are lots of top firms outside the MC that won't be as selective.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
I will do that, thank you for the advice.
The Magic Circle isn’t the be all and end all of commercial law.

With what you’ve got it may be difficult but there’s plenty of other firms out there and you haven’t even started your degree yet.
All my Google alerts are just you posting here :rolleyes:

I’m not coming back - just silently observing (and often laughing)
Original post by ellie002
Whilst some people may have this mentality, you can’t just generalise people who have ambitions to work in MC firms like that. I don’t want to work in a MC firm because it sounds cool, or so that I can boast, or for the money. That superficial mindset will not get you far. I have a general interest and passion for Law and the way it affects everyday aspects of life, how it is reinforced to maintain social order, and the boundaries that are created in keeping people feeling safe in their everyday life. I also have aspirations to aim high, and excel in everything I do. I have done my research into the role of these firms and what these barristers do. I want to be able to earn my place in a top firm, to make myself proud and know the hard work and dedication I have put in to achieve that position. Of course we don’t know what working for them is like, no one knows until you actually work there yourself. That’s where work experience and training programmes come into hand. I know there is hard labour that comes behind the glitz and glamours of working for a MC firm. So whether it’s realistic or not, what’s so wrong with obsessing over wanting the best for yourself?

Barristers in an MC firm? :colonhash:

Plus let's face it, you're in it just for that sweet 100k NQ salary, just like the rest of 'em. :tongue:
Original post by MidgetFever
Barristers in an MC firm? :colonhash:

Plus let's face it, you're in it just for that sweet 100k NQ salary, just like the rest of 'em. :tongue:

There are a few barristers who will work at firms, actually.
Original post by username1494444
All my Google alerts are just you posting here :rolleyes:

I’m not coming back - just silently observing (and often laughing)

Silent observing while making posts (or rather, speaking). OK makes total sense.
Original post by Notoriety
There are a few barristers who will work at firms, actually.

Yeah, 'cause that's what OP was referring to.
Original post by MidgetFever
Yeah, 'cause that's what OP was referring to.

Yeah but you didn't know that barristers may also work for law firms so lets not belittle OP for making mistakes. I'm surprised somebody who hasn't even completed A levels is speaking in a patronising tone to a young girl.
Are there more things to tsr life than training contracts at magic circle firms? The sun is out, go get some rays :cool:
Original post by medicmate
Are there more things to tsr life than training contracts at magic circle firms? The sun is out, go get some rays :cool:

Its the same comment on this thread and frankly i'm tired of it. This type of thing is normally spoken by people who couldn't secure a MC training contract or a full time offer at a top BB investment bank.
Original post by echelp123
Yeah but you didn't know that barristers may also work for law firms so lets not belittle OP for making mistakes. I'm surprised somebody who hasn't even completed A levels is speaking in a patronising tone to a young girl.

Right, and belittling someone that's "belittling" someone is really going to get you somewhere.

Also, what has not completing A-levels got to do with anything? I'm a law student at university, so if anything I'm studying beyond that at the moment.

Latest

Trending

Trending