The Student Room Group

Should we have a general election?

Boris Johnson faces a showdown in Parliament later after No 10 officials warned he would call for a snap general election on 14 October if MPs succeed in seizing control of Commons business.

Rebel Tories and Labour MPs are planning a bill to stop the UK leaving the EU on 31 October without a deal.

Mr Johnson said he did not want an election, but progress with the EU would be "impossible" if the MPs win.

Jeremy Corbyn said the Labour Party was ready for a general election.But shadow Northern Ireland secretary Tony Lloyd later said Labour would vote against any government plans to hold a general election before the UK is due to leave the EU on 31 October.

He said Labour "will not have Boris Johnson dictate the terms of an election that crashes this country out with no deal".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49560557
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Sod it why not. The countries going to **** either way does it really matter whom pulls the trigger?
Reply 2
We should only if each party makes it totally clear what stance they take on Brexit so there can be no more claims of "people didnt know what they were voting for".
Original post by Kinyonga
Boris Johnson faces a showdown in Parliament later after No 10 officials warned he would call for a snap general election on 14 October if MPs succeed in seizing control of Commons business.

Rebel Tories and Labour MPs are planning a bill to stop the UK leaving the EU on 31 October without a deal.

Mr Johnson said he did not want an election, but progress with the EU would be "impossible" if the MPs win.

Jeremy Corbyn said the Labour Party was ready for a general election.But shadow Northern Ireland secretary Tony Lloyd later said Labour would vote against any government plans to hold a general election before the UK is due to leave the EU on 31 October.

He said Labour "will not have Boris Johnson dictate the terms of an election that crashes this country out with no deal".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49560557

Should we have a snap general election? No.
The one thing we need now, after 3 years of fannying around, is some certainty. A general election with the current state of the opposition would provide no certainty whatsoever. I think that's why the polls look the way they do at the moment, because Johnson (whether you crave or despise a no-deal) provides concrete certainty when it comes to Brexit (and -Brexit aside- arguably instills a sense of optimism that governments have been lacking for quite a while now).
Reply 4
It is coming and the question is only of what the Brexit party will do about it: Farage has been clear on it, if the Tories support what they regard as a real break from the EU they will endorse them and stand aside. If they don't, if they bring back May's fudge in a revamped form... they won't. The Tories will be crucified if they try to bull**** everyone, the Brexit party could end up winning the election as much as they did with the Euros.
Reply 5
Original post by Kinyonga

See this thread about the urgent need to register to vote, in case there is a snap general election:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=85101366
Honestly I think we should’ve done one very long ago, since I believe many people were misinformed when voting initially. If the vote came back the same, then the country would be able to move on with Brexit smoother than if we are all wondering what people really want. I think why a lot of people don’t accept it is how it was very misleading as well as the ****fest that came after it, Brexit is a mess and I just want it to be over and done with. Hopefully i will be proven wrong🤷
(edited 4 years ago)
Surprised we haven’t already, most people voted for Brexit as they had a bunch of wrong information and were led to believe that being in the EU was the worst thing possible. After Boris lying about how much money we give the EU, which was ironically the reason my parents voted to leave the EU, people need to be properly educated before the next election, and honestly I’m not completely against another referendum as I think a lot of people have changed their minds since...
Reply 8
Yes.

This parliament has proven itself incapable of delivering Brexit or having the testees to outright revoke article 50.

A general election is the best chance of bringing this event to a conclusion.
Reply 9
It's good that it's all boiling over because we simply have to go through this battle in order to get on with our lives and each day that goes by only makes it more desirable to bring the reckoning on. If Boris gets back in the UK will be out by the end of October, if Corbyn does there will be no Brexit on the horizon. The Brexit party body of voters will be crucial and that pushes Boris into a corner, he'll have to be good to his word and convince Farage of it.

It's a civil war, we just had to get to this. It's been more than three years by now and there's nothing left to wait for. The only way to leave the EU is by force and nothing less will do it, the UK would be trapped forever if No Deal were legislated against. It's regrettable that the election will be fought entirely over the issue of Brexit but there's nothing left to do, what good would extending membership until January be? Absolutely none, other than to Remainers.
Reply 10

That was before they were made aware of something that had the natural choice of date pushed up:

Election date changed to avoid clash with Jewish festival that could disenfranchise thousands of voters.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/09/03/board-deputies-protests-october-14-election-clash-jewish-festival/

That's another day lost with the bomb ticking over, some people would dearly love to question that but with things being what they are and with an election coming up... :biggrin:
I've lost track
stop a no deal first, otherwise Boris can still force through a no deal. After we've stopped no deal then absolutely
70% of leavers want a no deal, that's what we should do. I respect the result.
Original post by rhiannacatrin
stop a no deal first, otherwise Boris can still force through a no deal. After we've stopped no deal then absolutely

1, boris doesn't want a no deal... he wants two things: 1, to look like he wants a no-deal going into an election, so he gets the bulk of the brexit-party vote, and 2, to use no deal as a threat against the EU.

2, if you delay no-deal by 3 months.. then have an election, in which boris wins, if he has a decent majority, he can still push through a no deal if he desired.. so really waiting doesn't achieve anything.

---

To the OP:

Yes, obviously there does need to be an election, we haven't had this disfunctional a goverment in my life-time. We have a goverment who are now pratically incapable of getting anything through, being kept in office by an oppositon who doesn't want an election at the moment, its madness. Have one as soon as possible, and if we want any hope of getting out of brexit, we must have a remain-alliance vs a Brexit-alliance, a second-referendum in effect, but one where the winning side will actually be accountable and have to govern and deliver the result..
It's a complete mess.
No but with events today, there really is no other option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending