The Student Room Group

Elective in the USA as a radiotherapy and oncology student

Hi,
I hope you are all doing well.
I am currently a first-year radiotherapy and oncology student in the UK. At the end of the second year, we have got 2 weeks of elective placement which we can choose to do anywhere in the world.

I would like to do my elective in the USA. I have researched quite a bit but there seems to be not enough resources on how to obtain an elective placement as a radiotherapy student.

Hence, I was just wondering if any one of you guys has gone through the process and if you could give me some advice on how to do this.

Many thanks.
Original post by lamiyak0002
Hi,
I hope you are all doing well.
I am currently a first-year radiotherapy and oncology student in the UK. At the end of the second year, we have got 2 weeks of elective placement which we can choose to do anywhere in the world.

I would like to do my elective in the USA. I have researched quite a bit but there seems to be not enough resources on how to obtain an elective placement as a radiotherapy student.

Hence, I was just wondering if any one of you guys has gone through the process and if you could give me some advice on how to do this.

Many thanks.

Are there any third year students at your uni who have done an elective who you can chat to? From my DD's open day, I recall that electives in the USA can be very expensive and hard to organise due to the insurance health system.

@HellomynameisNev any experience of organising an elective?
From the experience of my cohort, getting an elective abroad usually was successful because the student knew someone who worked at the institution they visited. There is a dedicated organisation that supports international elective placements, but its name escapes me.

At SHU they didn't really start talking about your electives till the start of the 2nd year. Its good to be thinking about it in the 1st year, but I wouldn't sweat it for now.
They do placements for USA - Pittsburgh at BCU university. But it's not specific to radiology, just healthcare in general. If your at BCU, maybe you can contact the GoAbroad team.

Quick Reply

Latest