The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by student27170102
Hi guys,

I didn't do very well in the UCAT, i got 570 average and band 2 so i don't think i can secure a place for dentistry.
Is it worth still applying to redbrick universities?
Also, is 650 considered a good score?

will appreciate any advice

Yes 650 is a good score, id say apply to some ucat universities which use it moderately to less and also maybe do the BMAT and see what you get there
Reply 2
Hi guys,

I didn't do very well in the UCAT, i got 570 average and band 2 so i don't think i can secure a place for dentistry.
Is it worth still applying to redbrick universities?
Also, is 650 considered a good score?

will appreciate any advice

Hi there, why not post it on the "official" UCAT (formerly UKCAT) 2020 entry discussion thread for the "gurus" to help.
thank you.

How can i post it on the UCAT thread? I could not find it in the forums
Sorry im new to student room and haven't fully figured it out lol
thank you.

How can i post it on the UCAT thread? I could not find it in the forums
Sorry im new to student room and haven't fully figured it out lol

*MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread [part 2] that is what it is called, and that is what I used for help
did you get 570 or 650????
570 and band 2
570 and band 2

Do you know for sure where you're applying ? also are you sitting the Bmat finally?
I am applying to Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester and Nottingham. So yess i will be doing the bmat
I am applying to Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester and Nottingham. So yess i will be doing the bmat

ah that's great, does manchester accept lower ucat scores? correct me if I'm. wrong but I thought you needed a bit above average to secure an interview /place.??
(edited 4 years ago)
you are right but i am nott sure where else to apply as they all want a high score😣
I was also thinking to apply to sheffield but they prefer high ukcat scorers . I got only 2430 so I’m looking for univeristies that have low ukcat preference like bristol, univeristy of keele, cardiff univeristy and Uclan ( which doesn’t require ukcat)
Original post by Bilaal asif
I was also thinking to apply to sheffield but they prefer high ukcat scorers . I got only 2430 so I’m looking for univeristies that have low ukcat preference like bristol, univeristy of keele, cardiff univeristy and Uclan ( which doesn’t require ukcat)

Birmingham doesn't put too much emphasis as well
I got exactly the same results in UKCAT as you two years ago. I can understand how you must feel. I was quite upset. But really, the best thing to do is get out of that 'panic' mode and think logically.

Not all universities place equal importance on entrance tests. Look around in different uni websites. Check how much they consider ucat as part of the application process. Then apply to the ones where you can show your other strengths that might bag you an interview.

In my case, I applied to both Bristol and Cardiff; both universities did not place as much importance on UCAT in 2018 (however, now it may be different). Instead, Bristol focused more on the personal statement which I knew was one of my application strengths. I managed to get an interview in Bristol during November and one in Cardiff during December. Im now going into second year at Bristol so yay!

Also, even if you don't manage to get a lot of, or in some cases, no interviews, the UCAT is not the only factor to consider. The MOST important thing about this year is getting those A Level grades. Because without them, whether or not you have a place doesn't matter at all.

Also don't worry if you don't get any offers. Chances are, if all goes well on Results day, you can call up Clearing in unis like King's, St Georges etc. to try and get in!

Cheer up and keep working hard! You will get in :smile:
you are right but i am nott sure where else to apply as they all want a high score😣

Are you still thinking of applying to Manchester
yes i am. i am hoping to get into sheffield as i am on a programme with them that allows me to get in with ABB and low ucat
Reply 16
Just did my UCAT today...
I got a score of 2310 and Band 2 in Situational judgement...
At GCSES i got 3 A* 5A and 2B

I wanted to apply for dentistry and i got work experience and already wrote my personal statement and A level predictions are AAA.
WHAT DO I NOW? DO I STILL APPLY?
Please i need advice now.
e.g what unis a list please.
well i am still applying and if i dont get it i will take a gap year and redo my ucat then apply again. if you really want to do it then go for it
Original post by enya83
Just did my UCAT today...
I got a score of 2310 and Band 2 in Situational judgement...
At GCSES i got 3 A* 5A and 2B

I wanted to apply for dentistry and i got work experience and already wrote my personal statement and A level predictions are AAA.
WHAT DO I NOW? DO I STILL APPLY?
Please i need advice now.
e.g what unis a list please.

Which unis where you thinking?
Hey peeps I got
620 avg and band 1 in sjt
is that good?

Latest