The Student Room Group

UCAT deciles 2022

Hi guys,
Im applying to med for the first time this year and was wondering if you guys could help. I got 2890 in my UCAT and with the interim results just released that puts me in the 9th decile. Do you think that this score would be placed in the 10th decile this year, despite the interim being 2940?
Thanks
Original post by bird16
Hi guys,
Im applying to med for the first time this year and was wondering if you guys could help. I got 2890 in my UCAT and with the interim results just released that puts me in the 9th decile. Do you think that this score would be placed in the 10th decile this year, despite the interim being 2940?
Thanks

Yes, usually the interim results are much higher than the final deciles. I would highly expect your result to be in the top decile when the end of season results are published. Well done for getting such a great score!
Reply 2
Original post by bird16
Hi guys,
Thanks

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what's the tenth decile? On the websites the deciles only go up to 9?
Original post by a._5
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what's the tenth decile? On the websites the deciles only go up to 9?

It only goes up to the 9th decile, this basically means that you were in the top 10%, so 8th decile would mean top 20%, 7th top 30%......... I hope that helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lyd1234567
Yes, usually the interim results are much higher than the final deciles. I would highly expect your result to be in the top decile when the end of season results are published. Well done for getting such a great score!

Thank you so much! That's really reassuring! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by myck_boateng
It only goes up to the 9th decile, this basically means that you were in the top 10%, so 8th decile would mean top 20%, 7th top 30%......... I hope that helps :smile:

Yes sorry you're both right. The University of Birmingham ranks it differently for some reason - their top decile is the 10th which is why I got confused! Sorry about that and thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by myck_boateng

Thanks! Thats what I had thought, but OP was talking about 10th decile which confused me
Reply 7
Original post by a._5

As they state on the website, scores given are the top of the given decile, so the scores above the top of the 9th decile are in the 10th decile. Hence why they are known as deciles - split into ten; 9 would be noniles, I guess
Reply 8
Original post by bird16
Yes sorry you're both right. The University of Birmingham ranks it differently for some reason - their top decile is the 10th which is why I got confused! Sorry about that and thank you :smile:

Birmingham use the stats of their own applicants, which do not always align with the official stats (when they used to post them, they were always considerably higher, but for some reason - I guess to avoid putting people off - they are just showing the official deciles as a "guide").
UCAT's official top decile is also the 10th :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by GANFYD
As they state on the website, scores given are the top of the given decile, so the scores above the top of the 9th decile are in the 10th decile. Hence why they are known as deciles - split into ten; 9 would be noniles, I guess

Oh that makes sense. Thanks!
Hi,

University of leicester state that if you have your a levels and get in the top 2 deciles you get an automatic interview. Does this mean I need to be in the 8th or above or the 9th and above?
Original post by aimeegrey
Hi,

University of leicester state that if you have your a levels and get in the top 2 deciles you get an automatic interview. Does this mean I need to be in the 8th or above or the 9th and above?

It is out of 10, so the top 2 of that are 9th and 10th
Original post by GANFYD
It is out of 10, so the top 2 of that are 9th and 10th

okay, but on the ucat website it only shows up to 9th so i would have to be on or above the 8th score? correct?
Original post by aimeegrey
okay, but on the ucat website it only shows up to 9th so i would have to be on or above the 8th score? correct?

The score they give is the top of the stated decile, so you would need to have any score above the top of the 8th
Reply 14
Original post by GANFYD

Thank you- that is so useful to know as I had always assumed the scores given for the deciles were cut offs ie the lowest. This changes a few things for me:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending