The Student Room Group

Conducting social research.

*Deleted post*
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by CharlotteSalf
Hi everyone,

I am planning a research proposal for an MPhil in Health, Medicine and Society and long story short, I just wondered if anyone knew of any interesting health-medicine related issues that have been in the media recently and may link to the topic of global health inequalities?

You're literally asking the one thing you, yourself literally need to do. It's your MPhil, it's your research proposal. So.... do the research! You have access to the internet so use it!

Some of the questions on here... seriously.
No, you misunderstand. Do not try to make me feel stupid. I have wrote the statement of purpose already, I have refined my research interests and do not need assistance in this. As somebody who obtained a first-class degree with distinction, I would be seriously worried if I could not conduct research by myself. I wanted to know if there were any major health issues in the media right now that I could look at as inspiration to try and come up with new, exciting and relevant research so I can practice writing research proposals in advance (I would not start a postgraduate course till September 2020). I apologise if me trying to use a website to gain opinions from an international audience offended you.
No, you misunderstand. Do not try to make me feel stupid. I have wrote the statement of purpose already, I have refined my research interests and do not need assistance in this. As somebody who obtained a first-class degree with distinction, I would be seriously worried if I could not conduct research by myself. I wanted to know if there were any major health issues in the media right now that I could look at as inspiration to try and come up with new, exciting and relevant research so I can practice writing research proposals in advance (I would not start a postgraduate course till September 2020). I apologise if me trying to use a website to gain opinions from an international audience offended you.

I'm with The Empire Odyssey on this one... why can't you research health issues yourself? I'm sure there are websites that talk about trends around the world. Given this is a public forum too, it's not really a reliable source for research trends. Practising writing proposals might be a bit of a waste if you don't end up using them, so you'd be better off working out your research question and then refining your proposal as many times as you need to. That way, you'll benefit more form the effort you put in.

I'm also interested in how you managed to write your statement of purpose already, without knowing what specifically you'll be researching. It usually helps to know that beforehand.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I'm with The Empire Odyssey on this one... why can't you research health issues yourself? I'm sure there are websites that talk about trends around the world. Given this is a public forum too, it's not really a reliable source for research trends. Practising writing proposals might be a bit of a waste if you don't end up using them, so you'd be better off working out your research question and then refining your proposal as many times as you need to. That way, you'll benefit more form the effort you put in.

I'm also interested in how you managed to write your statement of purpose already, without knowing what specifically you'll be researching. It usually helps to know that beforehand.

I understand the lack of information I have given may be confusing. However, the statement of purpose I have written is not a formal proposal and simply states my research interests. This certainly is a public forum and by no means am I using it as a reliable source, I just thought maybe there was something going off somewhere that was not major in the news yet may be of interest to me. If you guys have nothing to contribute or do not wish to help, there is really no need to comment, I was simply trying to engage with some fellow students who may have similar research interests - I never asked for anyones opinion on anything else - I know exactly what I need to do and I have already done so. I’m not looking for pettiness.
I understand the lack of information I have given may be confusing. However, the statement of purpose I have written is not a formal proposal and simply states my research interests. This certainly is a public forum and by no means am I using it as a reliable source, I just thought maybe there was something going off somewhere that was not major in the news yet may be of interest to me. If you guys have nothing to contribute or do not wish to help, there is really no need to comment, I was simply trying to engage with some fellow students who may have similar research interests - I never asked for anyones opinion on anything else - I know exactly what I need to do and I have already done so. I’m not looking for pettiness.

I did try to help, it's fine if you don't want to take it constructively.

Good luck with your research. :smile:
I do appreciate the constructive help, truly.

Thankyou! Good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending