The Student Room Group

Help - A* Students who sat Economics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by safa2
I got a B in A-Level Economics (AQA) I really wanted an A or A* but I messed up my multiple choice and two of my 25 markers, hence I know I messed my grade up.
In terms of Revision, I found that Econplusdal was the best resource, I used his videos for advice for both exam technique and understanding knowledge as well as stats, which helped boost my marks in evaluation.
Another resource was Economics Help, which is a website that I found really helpful as it simplified content.
I had a really good Economics Teacher who put literally everything of slides which then I used for my revision notes, but my condensed notes came from a mixture of everything, including both my brother and sisters old economics notes- as content never really changes to much and they both got A* grades.
Make sure you Learn definitions well, as they provide so many marks- at least with exam boards like mine.
Also found PMT Economics really usefull, for economics revision notes- again really simplified, but I think knowledge is key, more than anything in getting any grade above a C.
In terms of technique, it obvs differs for every exam board, but I think a key thing is Explaining and providing evaluation with relevant diagrams. No diagram means very few marks, so start writing the diagrams and remember them now especially the axis, as you don't want to mess up on basic marks.
Finally if you have any paper that has a section where there is no context, trust me this is the best I used to hate not having context but when you know real life examples etc it really excels your marks. Also the Context for context based answers- Use it- as it supports your argument and helps you get the best marks.

Hope that helps!

Thanks , can I use media links for my real life examples
Original post by Soul Wavel3ngth
I'm also in year 12 and although I haven't began my course yet, I've been watching Crash course economics on youtube in order to prepare. I highly recommend you watch the series.

Thanks
Reply 22
Original post by Cstubbings
I’ve been looking to start practice papers however don’t have sufficient knowledge of the subject yet and am debating wether to read ahead or not

As you've only just started the course I wouldn't worry about it, looking back on it the advice I gave would be better aimed at someone starting year 13 or at least a year 12 who's finished the first term. Reading on can be helpful but there's no need to go crazy, maybe just when you start a new topic read a bit about that topic or watch an Econplusdal video on that topic so that you have an idea about what you're being taught but there's no need to walk into every lesson an expert on every topic otherwise you'll find the lessons very boring. Reading around the topic can be useful as being able to relate economic theory to recent, real world examples is always helpful in accessing the higher levels.
Original post by Wilko64
As you've only just started the course I wouldn't worry about it, looking back on it the advice I gave would be better aimed at someone starting year 13 or at least a year 12 who's finished the first term. Reading on can be helpful but there's no need to go crazy, maybe just when you start a new topic read a bit about that topic or watch an Econplusdal video on that topic so that you have an idea about what you're being taught but there's no need to walk into every lesson an expert on every topic otherwise you'll find the lessons very boring. Reading around the topic can be useful as being able to relate economic theory to recent, real world examples is always helpful in accessing the higher levels.

Thanks for all your advice
Econplusdal is an absolute hero used him for everything.
Got a pretty good A* in edexcel this year,
Revision was strange for me all way in econ, focused on nailing all the knowledge then the structuring and essays became pretty easy once u learn roughly for each question what is required.
I would focus on just understanding all of year 1 in year 12 then get exam technique sorted by mocks and just learn it all.
I properly did very few practice exams maybe 5/6 at school and 2/3 at home.
Mostly just did multiple choice as knowledge check then planned answers and practised a couple of 8 markers as they’re a bit weird.
Original post by Canary84
Econplusdal is an absolute hero used him for everything.
Got a pretty good A* in edexcel this year,
Revision was strange for me all way in econ, focused on nailing all the knowledge then the structuring and essays became pretty easy once u learn roughly for each question what is required.
I would focus on just understanding all of year 1 in year 12 then get exam technique sorted by mocks and just learn it all.
I properly did very few practice exams maybe 5/6 at school and 2/3 at home.
Mostly just did multiple choice as knowledge check then planned answers and practised a couple of 8 markers as they’re a bit weird.

Is the channel structured for a specific exam board or does content overlap?
No idea how to effectively revise , hoping to learn some tips now , good luck

Same good luck too 🤧🤧
Original post by Hiro2468
Same good luck too 🤧🤧

!!
Reply 28
Thanks , can I use media links for my real life examples

In terms of using real life examples- I mean using stats such as from the ONS (office of national stats) for evaluation- vital for macro and can set you apart for micro if its relevant. Don't quote exactly where you get the data from as it wastes time. Also write your essays don't type them up as I typed and then in the real thing had timing issues.

Remember that if your using real life examples, you have to explain them and their relevance in answering the question- if I was you I would make a separate folder for all big news articles and start going over them nearer exam time.
Original post by safa2
In terms of using real life examples- I mean using stats such as from the ONS (office of national stats) for evaluation- vital for macro and can set you apart for micro if its relevant. Don't quote exactly where you get the data from as it wastes time. Also write your essays don't type them up as I typed and then in the real thing had timing issues.

Remember that if your using real life examples, you have to explain them and their relevance in answering the question- if I was you I would make a separate folder for all big news articles and start going over them nearer exam time.

Will do , thanks
Reply 30
Also in terms of revising effectively- when i started the course, I encourage revising as you go- we finished our syllabus so late but I didn't care as I had a tutor who helped me learn all the content and I myself had revised all content a month of two before the exams.
Once you've revised a set topic etc- make sure your notes are condense but informative. Keep going over things you don't understand and use all the resources out there to make sure you get it, like when I studied Micro Market Failure diagrams it confused me at first but then I watched econplusdals video and it made so much sense.
I really think if you want the best grades you have to really push yourself in terms of having a time table- for revision time. In year 12 I had one- but i didn't really use it till the end of year 12 as i found it hard to stick to.
One youtuber I think recommended this- 8 hours of study, 8 hours of sleep and 8 hours of anything else, and ive stuck to it, it really helps you effectively use your time. Also Last bit of general advice- USE YOUR FREE PERIODS EFFECTIVELY! I had so many in a weekday as i only did 3 A-Levels and each one i had a plan of what i was going to do in that hour etc, if you have a plan and stick to it you will always succeed.(At least I hope you do!)
Original post by safa2
Also in terms of revising effectively- when i started the course, I encourage revising as you go- we finished our syllabus so late but I didn't care as I had a tutor who helped me learn all the content and I myself had revised all content a month of two before the exams.
Once you've revised a set topic etc- make sure your notes are condense but informative. Keep going over things you don't understand and use all the resources out there to make sure you get it, like when I studied Micro Market Failure diagrams it confused me at first but then I watched econplusdals video and it made so much sense.
I really think if you want the best grades you have to really push yourself in terms of having a time table- for revision time. In year 12 I had one- but i didn't really use it till the end of year 12 as i found it hard to stick to.
One youtuber I think recommended this- 8 hours of study, 8 hours of sleep and 8 hours of anything else, and ive stuck to it, it really helps you effectively use your time. Also Last bit of general advice- USE YOUR FREE PERIODS EFFECTIVELY! I had so many in a weekday as i only did 3 A-Levels and each one i had a plan of what i was going to do in that hour etc, if you have a plan and stick to it you will always succeed.(At least I hope you do!)

Thank you so much for this advice , will definitely start
Reply 32
Thank you so much for this advice , will definitely start

No worries!
Is the channel structured for a specific exam board or does content overlap?

Yeah, think its IB or AQA ( not board I did) but I just did it by topic name and its quite helpful to use extra theories etc in eval
Original post by safa2
I got a B in A-Level Economics (AQA) I really wanted an A or A* but I messed up my multiple choice and two of my 25 markers, hence I know I messed my grade up.
In terms of Revision, I found that Econplusdal was the best resource, I used his videos for advice for both exam technique and understanding knowledge as well as stats, which helped boost my marks in evaluation.
Another resource was Economics Help, which is a website that I found really helpful as it simplified content.
I had a really good Economics Teacher who put literally everything of slides which then I used for my revision notes, but my condensed notes came from a mixture of everything, including both my brother and sisters old economics notes- as content never really changes to much and they both got A* grades.
Make sure you Learn definitions well, as they provide so many marks- at least with exam boards like mine.
Also found PMT Economics really usefull, for economics revision notes- again really simplified, but I think knowledge is key, more than anything in getting any grade above a C.
In terms of technique, it obvs differs for every exam board, but I think a key thing is Explaining and providing evaluation with relevant diagrams. No diagram means very few marks, so start writing the diagrams and remember them now especially the axis, as you don't want to mess up on basic marks.
Finally if you have any paper that has a section where there is no context, trust me this is the best I used to hate not having context but when you know real life examples etc it really excels your marks. Also the Context for context based answers- Use it- as it supports your argument and helps you get the best marks.

Hope that helps!

I’m a new year 12 student and want to change one of my subjects. I wanted to change to economics but I have no knowledge on it as I’ve never heard of it until I started to enrol. I just wanted to know if it’s straightforward? What kind of stuff did you learn? Are there too much politics and history involved because I’m not that fond of history but I do really like maths! Are the exams as difficult as everyone says?
Reply 35
Original post by Fpatel01
I’m a new year 12 student and want to change one of my subjects. I wanted to change to economics but I have no knowledge on it as I’ve never heard of it until I started to enrol. I just wanted to know if it’s straightforward? What kind of stuff did you learn? Are there too much politics and history involved because I’m not that fond of history but I do really like maths! Are the exams as difficult as everyone says?

I studied Econ at GCSE, but many people in my class had never studied it before, i think if your determined to do well you will regardless of if you have never studied the subject especially since you start from scratch. If you want an A* tho, you really should start revising early and making good condense notes.
Personally i don't think there is much maths in Econ, like most maths is quite basic so if you enjoy this it would deffo be usefull for those quick maths questions at the start of papers- such as percentage change etc- (this is for AQA, not sure about other boards.)
I don't think there is much if any history in econ, like i never learnt about economists in depth- like we studied theories but there was not much history involved at all. Also in terms of politics- i also don't think there is much of that at all. In terms of news- yes its important you have an interest in the market but no its not important to know about everything like every single country's trading policy!
I'm not a super smart person and i think that exams where not difficult, i just messed up as i get so nervous!
In terms of stuff i learned- we studied things like market types, market failure, behavioural econ etc for Micro and for Macro it was more Economy based so- financial markets, economic indicators such as inflation and macro economic policy- which is super interesting!

I Literally love economics so much, i'm not doing it exactly at uni, but some of my modules are economics related and i'm genuinely so excited, like i think it was the best a- level subject i ever took so i really do recommend you take it!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by safa2
I studied Econ at GCSE, but many people in my class had never studied it before, i think if your determined to do well you will regardless of if you have never studied the subject especially since you start from scratch. If you want an A* tho, you really should start revising early and making good condense notes.
Personally i don't think there is much maths in Econ, like most maths is quite basic so if you enjoy this it would deffo be usefull for those quick maths questions at the start of papers- such as percentage change etc- (this is for AQA, not sure about other boards.)
I don't think there is much if any history in econ, like i never learnt about economists in depth- like we studied theories but there was not much history involved at all. Also in terms of politics- i also don't think there is much of that at all. In terms of news- yes its important you have an interest in the market but no its not important to know about everything like every single country's trading policy!
I'm not a super smart person and i think that exams where not difficult, i just messed up as i get so nervous!
In terms of stuff i learned- we studied things like market types, market failure, behavioural econ etc for Micro and for Macro it was more Economy based so- financial markets, economic indicators such as inflation and macro economic policy- which is super interesting!

I Literally love economics so much, i'm not doing it exactly at uni, but some of my modules are economics related and i'm genuinely so excited, like i think it was the best a- level subject i ever took so i really do recommend you take it!

Do you mind if I ask what grade you got for it and what you are studying at university? What other subjects did you do alongside economics?

Thank you so much for replying!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 37
Do you mind if I ask what grade you got for it and what you are studying at university? What other subjects did you do alongside economics?

Thank you so much for replying!

I got B at A- Level Econ and I got an A at GCSE Econ.
I'm studying Finance and Management.
And the other subjects i did where- BS and Geography
I think i did a good combo with my A- Levels as BS was very simplistic so it helped me spend more time on my other A-Levels!
Original post by safa2
I got B at A- Level Econ and I got an A at GCSE Econ.
I'm studying Finance and Management.
And the other subjects i did where- BS and Geography
I think i did a good combo with my A- Levels as BS was very simplistic so it helped me spend more time on my other A-Levels!

Is it true when people say business isn’t as respected as other subjects by universities?
Congrats on your grades!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 39
Is it true when people say business isn’t as respected as other subjects by universities?
Congrats on your grades!

Well I got into a top 10 uni in the UK under the complete uni guide for 2019 and 2020!
I don't think its true at all, like business is an easier A-Level but you still have to work for the grade and hence i do think it is well respected.
If there is a specific uni you have in mind i would contact them and just ask for your course of interest if your a levels are ok for it, as some unis may say some A-Levels and even BTEC'S are not accepted.
Also Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest