The Student Room Group

Year 12 haven't done work experience

Hi, I've just started year 12 and I found out that most people have already done work experience but I haven't done any work experience yet, is that a problem? And also, when and how would I get work experience?
I did a weeks work experience in high school. Never actually helped me with anything in my life lmao. Try and get a part time job in your first year of college, that’ll be fine.
Original post by Tsukiakari
Hi, I've just started year 12 and I found out that most people have already done work experience but I haven't done any work experience yet, is that a problem? And also, when and how would I get work experience?

No.

You get work experience by emailing companies and asking for it, normally over the summer.
honestly, try to stick to stuff to do with what you want to go in to, if you wanna be a doctor, having work experience in sales will be essentially useless apart from saying "oh I worked in a team and have great self management skills blah blah"
Original post by Tsukiakari

Hiya, I've just started year 12 too and I did work experience this summer. It's not a problem that you haven't done it yet, there's no specific time to do it but I would definitely recommend looking into it for maybe the summer between year 12 and 13 when you hopefully won't be too busy. It's a really great experience and is something that you'll be able to talk about with universities and future employers, and it gives you a ground basis on what it's like to work full time, as well as allowing you to develop lots of skills that universities admire.

If you wanted to get some work experience, have a think about what interests you and what area of work you'd like to know more about. This could be either a job that you'd like to do in the future or simply just something you'd like to know more about. For example, I'm looking to do English at university and so I did work experience with a magazine and publishing company where I wrote articles and features and I loved it!.

Once you decide what area you'd like to do, google companies that do this sort of thing and don't be scared to email and ask about possible placements. It's good to send emails off early so you'll be more likely to get the place.These emails usually involve you saying why you'd like to work with that company, but I can give you more info on that later if you'd like! Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5
You could always get a paying job.
Reply 6
I didn't mention my work experience in my personal statement. If you're going for medicine or something like that you'll definitely need some.

Quick Reply

Latest