The Student Room Group

PWC technology degree apprenticeship

Hi, I just had a few questions regarding this apprenticeship. I'm currently in year 12 and am doing Chem, bio and maths. I haven't done computer science since year 8 so I currently don't have any work experience or knowledge about coding/computing. I enjoy maths and I am willing to learn more about technology. Are there any tips for me to maximise my chances of getting onto this programme because I can't apply for university due to fee status issues but would still like to experience uni life. Plus, University of Birmingham has this course and I would like to go there.

I also wanted to ask if there is any specific advice for the video interviews and assessment centre part of the application?
Original post by GCSE_Student0
Hi, I just had a few questions regarding this apprenticeship. I'm currently in year 12 and am doing Chem, bio and maths. I haven't done computer science since year 8 so I currently don't have any work experience or knowledge about coding/computing. I enjoy maths and I am willing to learn more about technology. Are there any tips for me to maximise my chances of getting onto this programme because I can't apply for university due to fee status issues but would still like to experience uni life. Plus, University of Birmingham has this course and I would like to go there.

I also wanted to ask if there is any specific advice for the video interviews and assessment centre part of the application?

Hi! I would suggest maybe trying to do some side projects following youtube tutorials, or doing some online coding exercises and keeping track of that to show that you are interested in technology and have tried these things outside of academics. Trying to join online hackathons will also be good for experiencing different things and learning new skill sets! All the best on your applications!

- Miyuki (Lancaster University FST Student Ambassador)
Hey! In terms of coding there are a lot of programs and courses out there to help you! I took one through SheCodes, and it really helped me understand HTML, CSS and Javascript and I'd say I'm pretty confident in building a simple yet pretty website. (And this is someone who's coming from 0 coding experience only 2 months ago).

Since you're in year 12, you have plenty of time to start developing new coding skill set, and majority of courses are really flexible, so you can manage your time according to your current studies. Once you get the jist of things, it really is fun!

What employers are looking out for is what you do with your time outside of formal education which would help contribute your interest to the certain industry you are choosing to start your career in. Even if it's just small projects, or starting a new course along the side really does help impress companies - it shows you are actively learning and willing to try.

Honestly, it's great you are thinking quite ahead. I wish I did at your age. But then again, it's okay if you might be uncertain. Most importantly, enjoy your studies, enjoy time with your friends and family. The idea of a career shouldn't affect your personal life , nor should you feel like you have choose between one or the other.

All the best :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for responding and the useful tips :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by GCSE_Student0

The video interviews are usually straightforward, the normal why you? why us? etc and then moves on to situational questions and maybe even a 'prepare and present your findings' type of question. I worked at PwC but not sure if the apprenticeship interview is different to the graduate job interview, i assume not. Make sure to prep the answers to the basic questions and memorise them.

The key thing in the assessment centres is to speak up in the group, make your points clear however there really isn't a need to be the loudest in the room. They want to see that you understand the task, can work well as part of a group and also add value.

In terms of the actual apprenticeship, I worked in Technology and you will definitely not be expected to have any coding experience. Their technology offerings are far wider than that, a lot of the times they don't even require math skills. It could be months creating powerpoint slides. There are teams dedicated to coding etc which if you show interest in, you will undergo the relevant training but that would probably be later on.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending