The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Doesn’t look to me like they attach any weight to medical work experience now??? Just full time working (not sure how that works if you have only just finished uni though?). Very different to previous years but I can see where they’re going with trying to level the playing field in terms of ‘privilege’ by effectively downgrading private school attendees and adjusting for the privilege that comes with that (easier access to work experience, etc). Wish it was like that when I was applying in sixth form!
(edited 4 years ago)
Is it worth applying if you don't have an A in Gcse English
Original post by Rishig47
Is it worth applying if you don't have an A in Gcse English

No, referring to their website it’s the minimum entry standard
Original post by Pharmacology

Say if you have very good A Levels
Will they accept resists if you don't have it
Original post by Rishig47
Say if you have very good A Levels
Will they accept resists if you don't have it

Like I said, they state an A grade in GCSE English as their normally required minimum on the website. I’m not an admissions officer, so I can’t give you more info than that... But why waste a choice? GEM is so competitive that you really wanna play to your strengths when choosing your options! :smile:
Original post by Pharmacology

Hey guys ^-^

Does Birmingham look at your contextual background for your GCSEs as well, or only for A-Levels? I was forced to sit foundation-level maths because my school wouldn't let me take maths at the higher tier during GCSEs. Consequently, I achieved a C and only took higher in year 12; I had to study for this independently, achieving a B. I meet all of their other minimum requirements (As in English and science) and am hoping to score at least ~15/20 for their pre-interview assessment: 1:1 biomedical science degree (79% overall), ABC at a contextual school for A-Levels (As in EPQ, general studies if relevant, probs not >.<), between 1-2 years full-time work as a HCA (9 months by the time I apply) and doing research in Japan (1 year), and (hopefully) at least 5th decile for UCAT. Should I apply? I tried emailing twice, but the university hasn't replied. Also, I called the medical school directly and they said Birmingham primarily look at your A-Levels and degree if you're from a contextual school and do not focus on GCSEs, so I thought I'd ask here!

I was hoping this would be an alternative to Warwick, because I scored 630 in the UCAT, which seems a bit low for them. Also, Birmingham's course sounds great, especially because of the mixture of learning methods (lectures, seminars, PBL, bedside learning, etc.) and modules available.
Out of interest, what has everyone scored in UCAT, to gauge what is a competitive score? Got mine next week :s-smilie:

Also, does anyone have any tips or help with the situation judgement? I struggle with this because I feel like there's quite often a bunch of logical and reasonable suggestions and in reality I would sometimes do a combination or it would depend on the situation so is so hard to say!

Thanks and good luck to all!!
Hi, just a few questions:

1) In the website it says that the last two GCSE's to be scored are 'unspecified'. Does this mean they'll randomly choose any of your GCSE's to score?

2) How do they score GCSE's? They say that you can only get a maximum score og 6.0. Hypothetically how can you get this score?
Honestly I think a lot of these questions can only be answered by med school, and in practice they probably won’t divulge the minutiae of their admissions protocol. You could try submitting a FOI request?
Reply 29
Would they consider a low-mid 2.1 (approx 63%) Biomed or are they specifically after high 2.1 or 1st. I know before they brought in the UCAT, they would strongly consider 1st class degrees but i'm not sure for this year.
Reply 30
hey guys, is it worth applying if I am currently doing my masters? Their website was vague and mentioned completing before application?
I looked at the scoring thing and I think I'd get 15 points.

1st in biochemistry Bsc
BBB at A-levels
UCAT score- 710 average, band 2 SJT
Hi, I scored 675 UCAT, does anybody know how many points would be allocated for this? Interim results suggest that it is very nearly 8th decile (hopefully interim results are higher than what the official will be and this will be within 8th)
Original post by laurenjjj
Hi, I scored 675 UCAT, does anybody know how many points would be allocated for this? Interim results suggest that it is very nearly 8th decile (hopefully interim results are higher than what the official will be and this will be within 8th)

8th decile would be around 3.1 points I think, and 7th would be 2.6
Original post by missr6
hey guys, is it worth applying if I am currently doing my masters? Their website was vague and mentioned completing before application?
I looked at the scoring thing and I think I'd get 15 points.

1st in biochemistry Bsc
BBB at A-levels
UCAT score- 710 average, band 2 SJT

As long as your masters has been completed before you start, it will likely be fine, as that would be the case for the vast majority of GEM universities.
Reply 34
They ask for an A in English. I have GCSEs in English Language (B) and in Literature (A). Worth a punt?

I do have Maths at A level (A) and GCSE (A)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MZI3
They ask for an A in English. I have GCSEs in English Language (B) and in Literature (A). Worth a punt?

It's worth a shot if you already have 3 choices and are struggling for a 4th! Otherwise, it's a high-risk choice because they have stated the minimum requirements are As in English and/ or Maths if the highest qualification you have is GCSE. So for English they can either reject you, or overlook it and invite you to interview if you have enough points to reach the cut-off. I think the latter is possible if you have other outstanding aspects of your application, such as high degree, A-level, and/ or UCAT scores.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MZI3

Email them just to check because it’s possible they would reject you but it’s also possible they would allow it. It’s best to know for certain though so you don’t waste a choice.
Reply 37
Original post by davidthomasjnr
It's worth a shot if you already have 3 choices and are struggling for a 4th! Otherwise, it's a high-risk choice because they have stated the minimum requirements are As in English and/ or Maths if the highest qualification you have is GCSE. So for English they can either reject you, or overlook it and invite you to interview if you have enough points to reach the cut-off. I think the latter is possible if you have other outstanding aspects of your application, such as high degree, A-level, and/ or UCAT scores.

UCAT isn't great lol 677.5 average Band 3
A-levels ABBb (Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Business Studies respectively) (underperforming school, same with the GCSE)
BSc Biomedical Science (2.1) not a great 2.1 (~63%)
MSc Biomedical Blood Science (Merit)
PhD Cardiovascular Science

Research scientist experience in cardiovascular science and volunteering experience at care homes and the hospital in the past.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by ambercairney
Email them just to check because it’s possible they would reject you but it’s also possible they would allow it. It’s best to know for certain though so you don’t waste a choice.

I did do, but they haven't yet replied. I emailed about 2 weeks ago!
Original post by MZI3
UCAT isn't great lol 677.5 average Band 3
A-levels ABBb (Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Business Studies respectively) (underperforming school, same with the GCSE)
BSc Biomedical Science (2.1) not a great 2.1 (~63%)
MSc Biomedical Blood Science (Merit)
PhD Cardiovascular Science

Research scientist experience in cardiovascular science and volunteering experience at care homes and the hospital in the past.

So you would probably score well for A-levels and work experience (possibly 7-8/8 total), but the issue would mainly be people who get a 1:1, as they could outscore your 2:1 by up to 4 points, which levels the playing field if they have a decent UCAT and/ or work experience. My advice would be to chance it anyway, because you have nothing to lose, but Birmingham prefer high 2:1 (~67%) and 1:1 class degrees, so there is an unfortunate trade-off to the positives of your application. Good luck in any case!!

Latest

Trending

Trending