The Student Room Group

Asian struggles in uk

I understand that many people might think that most east asians who live in the uk are Chinese. I think it’s really offensive to be honest, but what can you do. I’m South Korean and I’ve experienced numerous Racial comments. I guess they are not as bad compared to other peoples stories. Sometimes I feel really out of place and judged. I don’t know how to defend myself sometimes when someone says I eat dogs or my dads kim jong un, or they say that my eyes are small. It’s all sunshine and rainbows until you constantly hear these insults. It’s stupid af, ik... just want to know if anyone can relate. 😁

Oh and also, I’m taking a tour of my new transfer school and a headteacher of some year group comes up to me and my parents. Shakes hands, we all smile and then he says ni hao... like dude, that’s not really professional. I guess he just wanted welcome us.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Linnielizzie
I understand that many people might think that most asians who live in the uk are Chinese. I think it’s really offensive to be honest, but what can you do. I’m South Korean and I’ve experienced numerous Racial comments. I guess they are not as bad compared to other peoples stories. Sometimes I feel really out of place and judged. I don’t know how to defend myself sometimes when someone says I eat dogs or my dads kim jong un, or they say that my eyes are small. It’s all sunshine and rainbows until you constantly hear these insults. It’s stupid af, ik... just want to know if anyone can relate. 😁

Oh and also, I’m taking a tour of my new transfer school and a headteacher of some year group comes up to me and my parents. Shakes hands, we all smile and then he says ni hao... like dude, that’s not really professional. I guess he just wanted welcome us.

dude im not even asian but people constantly make chinese-related jokes because i look chinese apparently lol. i can somewhat understand how you feel. i do hope you know there are many people who are even obsessed with koreans thanks to kpop. your best bet is to ignore them unless it gets worse
Original post by lewis6969
dude im not even asian but people constantly make chinese-related jokes because i look chinese apparently lol. i can somewhat understand how you feel. i do hope you know there are many people who are even obsessed with koreans thanks to kpop. your best bet is to ignore them unless it gets worse

Haha really? I guess the insults are not that bad, but it hit hard when this unknown headteacher said ni hao lol. Kpop is sometimes the only reason why some people like Koreans which is rlly confusing and weird. What type of chinese jokes have u heard?
Haha really? I guess the insults are not that bad, but it hit hard when this unknown headteacher said ni hao lol. Kpop is sometimes the only reason why some people like Koreans which is rlly confusing and weird. What type of chinese jokes have u heard?

i get called chinese names like 'wang' or some people will make jokes about me eating cats or whatever. i find it funny sometimes but i can see how it would anger a chinese person. but yeah, many people here like koreans and some obsess so definitely avoid the weirdos if you encounter any
oriental people have really good aesthetics.

so bang out gym, and embrace it
Original post by lewis6969
i get called chinese names like 'wang' or some people will make jokes about me eating cats or whatever. i find it funny sometimes but i can see how it would anger a chinese person. but yeah, many people here like koreans and some obsess so definitely avoid the weirdos if you encounter any

Loool! some jokes can be funny lol. ‘Wang’?
Original post by unaManzana
oriental people have really good aesthetics.

so bang out gym, and embrace it

Why the gym? You calling me fat? Huh? Jk 😂 thx, I’m trying to embrace it but I guess it can be hard sometimes
I understand that many people might think that most asians who live in the uk are Chinese. I think it’s really offensive to be honest, but what can you do. I’m South Korean and I’ve experienced numerous Racial comments. I guess they are not as bad compared to other peoples stories. Sometimes I feel really out of place and judged. I don’t know how to defend myself sometimes when someone says I eat dogs or my dads kim jong un, or they say that my eyes are small. It’s all sunshine and rainbows until you constantly hear these insults. It’s stupid af, ik... just want to know if anyone can relate. 😁

Nope most Asians are South Asians or Indians and Pakistanis because of commonwealth ties.
I dont think you can blame people for not recognising the difference between Koreans and Chinese. Think you will have to get over yourself if that is going to offend you. Chinese community small and Korean much smaller. Chinese community in UK is integrated, bit spread out but most well respected and prosperous. As with any minority then racial differences especially at school is going to get you teased/ bullied but they would get bored and you have to ignore. It is children. I think people are a lot less racist than say 20+ years ago. You can learn come back lines and smile or just ignore. Children can pick on difference.

You will have to get used to people passing you in the streets and saying ni hao. UK people are poor at languages and it gives some of them a kick to say something in a different language. It also makes them look like idiots, tedious but mostly just ignore it. If thats all you have experienced then it sounds minor, there are a lot more serious things that could be happening.
Kpop is quite popular now.
English kid in East Asia is likely to get the same.
Why the gym? You calling me fat? Huh? Jk 😂 thx, I’m trying to embrace it but I guess it can be hard sometimes

I used to struggle with embracing my culture too. I'm south Asian (Pakistani). but then I realised how beautiful my culture, food and language really is and I started to accept it more.

I have realized that a lot of Pakistanis start off struggling to embrace their culture, mainly due to what is often over exaggerated about us in the media.
You can reply the small eyes thing with ‘your mouth is so big big. Are you American? All white people are American, right?’, and the Kim jong putdown ‘is your dad Boris Johnson, only you’re inherited his DNA. There’s so much of him in you fat boy!’,
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Nope most Asians are South Asians or Indians and Pakistanis because of commonwealth ties.
I dont think you can blame people for not recognising the difference between Koreans and Chinese. Think you will have to get over yourself if that is going to offend you. Chinese community small and Korean much smaller. Chinese community in UK is integrated, bit spread out but most well respected and prosperous. As with any minority then racial differences especially at school is going to get you teased/ bullied but they would get bored and you have to ignore. It is children. I think people are a lot less racist than say 20+ years ago. You can learn come back lines and smile or just ignore. Children can pick on difference.

You will have to get used to people passing you in the streets and saying ni hao. UK people are poor at languages and it gives some of them a kick to say something in a different language. It also makes them look like idiots, tedious but mostly just ignore it. If thats all you have experienced then it sounds minor, there are a lot more serious things that could be happening.
Kpop is quite popular now.
English kid in East Asia is likely to get the same.

I understand. It’s not that I expect them to know the difference between Chinese and Korean. No way, cause I can’t even identify that myself. I’m just asking if anyone can relate. Ik that they r kids and so am I. Any good comebacks u know? Lol
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by unaManzana
I used to struggle with embracing my culture too. I'm south Asian (Pakistani). but then I realised how beautiful my culture, food and language really is and I started to accept it more.

I have realized that a lot of Pakistanis start off struggling to embrace their culture, mainly due to what is often over exaggerated about us in the media.

Yeah, I do love my culture. The food, the music but sometimes it’s just a different experience when your living in a country that is mostly populated with European ethnics, or if your not living in your root country.
Original post by Welshvisitor
You can reply the small eyes thing with ‘your mouth is so big big. Are you American? All white people are American, right?’, and the Kim jong putdown ‘is your dad Boris Johnson, only you’re inherited his DNA. There’s so much of him in you fat boy!’,

Lol, it’s mean but yh 😂😂👍🏻
I know how you feel to some extent, I'm not actually Asian myself but I have Asian family so I seemed to have picked up some of the physical "characteristics" that are typically associated with Asians. People often mistake me as Asian and I get the racist comments a lot too, and quite frankly, it's stupid as hell.

Just ignore them, they're obviously immature.
I understand. It’s not that I expect them to know the difference between Chinese and Korean. No way, cause I can’t even identify that myself. I’m just asking if anyone can relate. Ik that they r kids and so am I. Any good comebacks u know? Lol

Yeah, I do love my culture. The food, the music but sometimes it’s just a different experience when your living in a country that is mostly populated with European ethnics, or if your not living in your root country.

don't worry.

if you ever go to uni I guarantee you, you'll meet so many oriental people lol

at my uni it was crawling with people from China
Reply 16
Dear friend, when I was in uk, people asked a lot if I'm Korean or Japanese but actually I'm a Chinese. I don't think that's an offence (though I don't like it) just because they may not have so much east Asian friends so they couldn't tell the differences between us. Just like when I was a kid born and raised in China I thought all the western blonde actresses look alike until junior high school because since then i knew more about western pop culture.

Perhaps you may don't like Chinese people (for many reasons and I could understand what) and that's why you are offended. When people said ni hao to me on streets I usually ignore them and you could keep cool and ignore them too. When they asked if I'm Korean or Japanese I will answered directly 'no I'm Chinese' and it won't bother me though. I understand that Chinese people are being criticised and stereotyped so you may feel uncomfortable for such mistake. You are who you are and there's no need to care about it too much:-))
Original post by alggae
Dear friend, when I was in uk, people asked a lot if I'm Korean or Japanese but actually I'm a Chinese. I don't think that's an offence (though I don't like it) just because they may not have so much east Asian friends so they couldn't tell the differences between us. Just like when I was a kid born and raised in China I thought all the western blonde actresses look alike until junior high school because since then i knew more about western pop culture.

Perhaps you may don't like Chinese people (for many reasons and I could understand what) and that's why you are offended. When people said ni hao to me on streets I usually ignore them and you could keep cool and ignore them too. When they asked if I'm Korean or Japanese I will answered directly 'no I'm Chinese' and it won't bother me though. I understand that Chinese people are being criticised and stereotyped so you may feel uncomfortable for such mistake. You are who you are and there's no need to care about it too much:-))

Thank you so much for your reply. Thats what I’m doing at the moment and NO i don’t have anything against chinese people!! It’s just because it gets really annoying when even ur teacher thinks ur chinese and just tells many students that you are although ur not. : ( but anyways i hope u get what i mean.

Oh and I’m not saying thats the chinese stereotype, east asian stereotypes i guess.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 18
I understand that many people might think that most east asians who live in the uk are Chinese. I think it’s really offensive to be honest, but what can you do. I’m South Korean and I’ve experienced numerous Racial comments. I guess they are not as bad compared to other peoples stories. Sometimes I feel really out of place and judged. I don’t know how to defend myself sometimes when someone says I eat dogs or my dads kim jong un, or they say that my eyes are small. It’s all sunshine and rainbows until you constantly hear these insults. It’s stupid af, ik... just want to know if anyone can relate. 😁

oh hi!I also get people thinking im chinese (I am Korean-Bangladeshi) and I have experienced some racial comments,like how i look a bit darker than kpop idols like they dont realise that they arent fricking whitened?Yeah,its either being called 'fish girl' or 'she eats dogs'.Now with K-Pop trending here at my school I get singled out for being half Korean and asked several annoying things by all the fricking koreaboos like
'OMG ARE U KOREAN?'
'DO YOU SPEAK/WRITE/UNDERSTAND KOREAN?'
'HAVE YOU BEEN KOREA?'
'WHAT PART OF KOREA?'
'DO YOU EAT KIMCHI?'
'ONIONHAESAYUU'
'DO YOU HAVE ANY MALE COUSINS?' i was actually asked this bc koreaboos be wanting oppas like dude no i dont wanna be related to u
'CAN U READ THIS?' *shows me some random japanese*
'HAVE U MET BTS?'
'AWH,DON'T YOU WISH YOU WERE FULLY KOREAN?' I slapped the person who said that,it was so offensive.

Then those same koreaboos kinda look down on the fact that im bengali,which pisses me off bc im a proud mixed girl.Also muslim so I see how koreaboos get disappointed that i dont have soju in the house,or that no one drinks it in my family.literally they think we all kpop idols or smth :mad:.plus im the only korean (part) at my school so its worse.

Still get asked about whether I eat dogs.So when we had to write a speech on animal cruelty I did it about dog farming.Let's just say I haven't heard that insult in a long time.
Reply 19

I am late to the post but. Oh well, Lizzie. I don't know how old you are but if you are at school you are probably still confused as to why this weird racism is happening. The headteacher's 'NI HAO你好‘ would really irk me.
Being a white Westerner (Czech, German and whatever mixture), and having lived in China and Japan, the racism in the UK or Europe is nowhere near as bad as over there but as we are meant to be a whole lot progressive on average, I am still surprised at actions of these individuals.

Your headteacher saying nihao is equal to subconsciously determining (in his own head): ~ they look asia, therefore must be chinese, let's greet them in their 'native' tongue~ (he means well, perhaps, but by doing this he is alienating the other group). This is no different from a person in china, stupidly saying 'hello or shouting out 外国人’。
It needs to stop.
Still lizzie, asian women and western guys have it perhaps the easiest among all races as there is a lot of 'positive' racism going on (which is equally unacceptable).

Quick Reply

Latest