The Student Room Group

What is the point of revising for a subject that I definitely don't want do?

I don't want to do History beyond GCSE yet I was forced to pick it by my school. It requires a lot of revision to get good grades and will take away time that could be used for revision of subjects that I will actually use past the GCSE exam. Should I even bother? I can get a 4, maybe a 5, if I wing it, but should I spend time revising?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by NoHomo69
I don't want to do History beyond GCSE yet I was forced to pick it by my school. It requires a lot of revision to get good grades and will take away time that could be used for revision of subjects that I will actually use past the GCSE exam. Should I even bother? I can get a 4, maybe a 5, if I wing it, but should I spend time revising?

I stopped going to history at about year 9 maybe year 8.
I just bunked off all the time.
I'm 27 now and I regret doing so.

I actually enjoy history quite a bit now.
I would revise for it as it will bring your GCSE average down if you get a significantly lower grade to the rest. However, obviously don't neglect subjects you need a higher grade in for History, just try to find a good balance.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by adam271
I stopped going to history at about year 9 maybe year 8.
I just bunked off all the time.
I'm 27 now and I regret doing so.

I actually enjoy history quite a bit now.

I enjoy history as a concept, but in a classroom environment it just doesn't stick for me. I enjoy watching historical documentaries and videos, but I really don't have enough time to dedicate to studying the course content. I am really good at computer science and I intend to take it as an A level and at uni, but I need to get a decent maths grade to do so. I don't see a reason to revise for history If that time could be spent revising maths, which I need to revise for.
Reply 4
Original post by stillcrying
I wouldn't as it will bring your GCSE average down if you get a significantly lower grade to the rest.

Does average GCSE matter? Does it matter enough to risk not meeting my target grades in subjects that I consider more important than history?
Isn't it better if you have a humanities subject when applying to sixth form or college?
Reply 6
Original post by imna2212
Isn't it better if you have a humanities subject when applying to sixth form or college?

Maybe. But I will technically have history, as I will likely get a 4 or a 5. I don't know if it is worth trying for a higher grade, since it will jeopardise my other grades, some of which I intend to take at uni.
Does average GCSE matter? Does it matter enough to risk not meeting my target grades in subjects that I consider more important than history?

Don't go overboard revising History but don't neglect it either because GCSE averages determined the courses I could get on at college. Not sure about your college though, whether there is emphasis on that. It's also not a good attitude to have (being a slacker) because employers will look that you have a range of subjects, not only your required ones as they all demonstrate different skills. I was revising about 2 hours a day once I got home from school so it's really not hard to revise for it a little. I suggest using this website called Seneca Learning if you don't want to be doing essays as it tests your knowledge. I presume you'll be doing essays in class.
I done this and I look back and really regret it. I was getting 6 ,7 and 8’s when I was revising for history however when I never my grades dropped significantly to 3 and 4’s. In my real exam I missed a whole paper as I had this attitude that I don’t need it and at the end came out with a 3. Now it looks really odd on my certificate as I have all 6’s and 7’s and one 3 so I would advise you to revise for it. But priorities too so put the important subjects first and do abit for history too.
Maybe. But I will technically have history, as I will likely get a 4 or a 5. I don't know if it is worth trying for a higher grade, since it will jeopardise my other grades, some of which I intend to take at uni.

True if you're happy getting a 4 or 5 then by all means focus on the subjects you are willing to carry on in college and uni. If you don't mind me asking what year are you in?
I enjoy history as a concept, but in a classroom environment it just doesn't stick for me. I enjoy watching historical documentaries and videos, but I really don't have enough time to dedicate to studying the course content. I am really good at computer science and I intend to take it as an A level and at uni, but I need to get a decent maths grade to do so. I don't see a reason to revise for history If that time could be spent revising maths, which I need to revise for.

Maybe find a middle ground.
Eg find some interactive way to keep on top of the work. For example documentaries.

Watch a couple documentaries while going over a past paper or study guide should be fine.

Also your a GCSE student so you can't really use the not enough time excuse.:smile:
Reply 11
Original post by adam271
Maybe find a middle ground.
Eg find some interactive way to keep on top of the work. For example documentaries.

Watch a couple documentaries while going over a past paper or study guide should be fine.

Also your a GCSE student so you can't really use the not enough time excuse.:smile:

I technically do have enough time, but if I do more than 3 hours of revision a day I tend to get rather stressed. I could spend that 3 hours revising things that will benefit me. But good idea about the documentaries, I will use that.
Reply 12
Original post by imna2212
True if you're happy getting a 4 or 5 then by all means focus on the subjects you are willing to carry on in college and uni. If you don't mind me asking what year are you in?

Year 11. And my mocks are in about 2 weeks.
Exactly omg
Reply 14
Original post by Aaisha8908
I done this and I look back and really regret it. I was getting 6 ,7 and 8’s when I was revising for history however when I never my grades dropped significantly to 3 and 4’s. In my real exam I missed a whole paper as I had this attitude that I don’t need it and at the end came out with a 3. Now it looks really odd on my certificate as I have all 6’s and 7’s and one 3 so I would advise you to revise for it. But priorities too so put the important subjects first and do abit for history too.

Good idea, thank you.
I drive alot at the moment and listen to a lot of audiobooks.
These are awesome, maybe while chilling on your Xbox you could listen to an audiobook about Stalin and Rasputin or the American civil war?

:smile:
If your doing anything about China and Mao I can highly recommended Mao the unknown story.
You do have enough time; the question is whether you can be bothered. A bad grade wouldn’t reflect well on you and you’ll kick yourself if you don’t at least try. Find a way to connect with the material. Your username is a bit crappy by the way.
Reply 17
I'm well aware, though it does mean something to me. Perhaps the pepe icon gives off some bad vibes; I'll change it.

But about the revision bit: I do technically have enough time, the problem is that I get stressed if i do more than 3 hours of revision a day.
I'm well aware, though it does mean something to me. Perhaps the pepe icon gives off some bad vibes; I'll change it.

But about the revision bit: I do technically have enough time, the problem is that I get stressed if i do more than 3 hours of revision a day.

There’s no need to do more anyway so don’t worry. Just split up your time into different subjects and you’ll be fine.
Reply 19
Original post by stillcrying
There’s no need to do more anyway so don’t worry. Just split up your time into different subjects and you’ll be fine.

Thank you, that is reassuring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending