The Student Room Group

I need As for A level

Hi guys. Exactly as my title said. I have basically always been a very anxious individual however I never really factored in how that affects my grades.

For context, I have always been an A+ student until I started to attend classes that required active revision and while I would still get As, it was ROUGH getting there.

Now I am a few months away from my A level exams and I am just realising that I am nowhere near where I want to be. If I don’t pattern up now, realistically, it’s not gonna go well. I don’t know how I’m going to get the grades I need to enter uni.

Whenever I want to revise, I just get so anxious thinking about all I have to revise. First year content + all the content we’ve done now. I don’t even know what the assessment objectives are, I’ve just sort of been coasting around and managing to get As and Bs in tests but I know that is impossible with the actual exam because looking at past papers makes me realise I have forgotten EVERYTHING. I am starting to panic but I am too anxious to revise properly. How do I get out of this cycle??? This is ruining everything. I need a good work and study ethic before Uni as well but my anxiety makes it even worse. To make matters worse, personal circumstances such as parents that don’t agree with each other and have moved me about causing me to miss 2 months + of A level study in total has made it so there are gaps in my knowledge and just adds to my anxiety.

So sorry for the rant, I guess I’m just asking for advice. Idk what to do, but I know with the right technique, I can get those grades I want. I do Psychology, English Language and Law.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum
which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Hi! Thank you sm for your kind response! I actually ended up positing on another thread and it turned out good 😇. Some good responses turned up.
Original post by P.r.i.n.z.y
Hi guys. Exactly as my title said. I have basically always been a very anxious individual however I never really factored in how that affects my grades.

For context, I have always been an A+ student until I started to attend classes that required active revision and while I would still get As, it was ROUGH getting there.

Now I am a few months away from my A level exams and I am just realising that I am nowhere near where I want to be. If I don’t pattern up now, realistically, it’s not gonna go well. I don’t know how I’m going to get the grades I need to enter uni.

Whenever I want to revise, I just get so anxious thinking about all I have to revise. First year content + all the content we’ve done now. I don’t even know what the assessment objectives are, I’ve just sort of been coasting around and managing to get As and Bs in tests but I know that is impossible with the actual exam because looking at past papers makes me realise I have forgotten EVERYTHING. I am starting to panic but I am too anxious to revise properly. How do I get out of this cycle??? This is ruining everything. I need a good work and study ethic before Uni as well but my anxiety makes it even worse. To make matters worse, personal circumstances such as parents that don’t agree with each other and have moved me about causing me to miss 2 months + of A level study in total has made it so there are gaps in my knowledge and just adds to my anxiety.

So sorry for the rant, I guess I’m just asking for advice. Idk what to do, but I know with the right technique, I can get those grades I want. I do Psychology, English Language and Law.

im also a very anxious person, and when it got to just before gcses i found just how much this did affect my grades. every small exam or mock i got 8s and 9s, and this dropped to 6s and 7s in end of years or big assessments.

what i’ve found in terms of how to help this, is to know your limit. when im anxious about an exam, i can feel my mind becoming foggy and at that point you just have to know, ok, i cant take in anymore information so i might as well stop here, take a break for a few hours. if i fancy it later, ill do a bit more but with no pressure.

its just a case of reframing i guess. if being anxious is going to be detrimental to your exams, you might as well miss out on one or two hours of revision to chill out, as they’ll have the same effect.
also what grades do you need for uni? don’t put additional pressure on yourself if it’s not necessary
Reply 5
Original post by funny-liquid
im also a very anxious person, and when it got to just before gcses i found just how much this did affect my grades. every small exam or mock i got 8s and 9s, and this dropped to 6s and 7s in end of years or big assessments.

what i’ve found in terms of how to help this, is to know your limit. when im anxious about an exam, i can feel my mind becoming foggy and at that point you just have to know, ok, i cant take in anymore information so i might as well stop here, take a break for a few hours. if i fancy it later, ill do a bit more but with no pressure.

its just a case of reframing i guess. if being anxious is going to be detrimental to your exams, you might as well miss out on one or two hours of revision to chill out, as they’ll have the same effect.

Thank you so much!!! I definitely agree. I’ve found the same. I think I need to remove the anxious feelings around revision so that I’m not always so anxious before exams and even before revision 😕 . It sucks.
Reply 6
also what grades do you need for uni? don’t put additional pressure on yourself if it’s not necessary

I need AAA 😭😭😭😭. But if contextuals come through, ABB. it’s still pretty up there and I only have like 2 months to learn all the content and really know it for the main exams. Even then, I’m so anxious to revise it all because it’s a lot so I keep procrastinating 😭😭😭😭. HELP.

I need AAA 😭😭😭😭. But if contextuals come through, ABB. it’s still pretty up there and I only have like 2 months to learn all the content and really know it for the main exams. Even then, I’m so anxious to revise it all because it’s a lot so I keep procrastinating 😭😭😭😭. HELP.

me too 🥲 and my insurance is only ABB so i don’t have much to fall back on. i got AABB in mocks, predicted AAAA and i need either AAA or AAB depending on where i firm. i suddenly got a D in one of my stronger subjects which definitely added to the anxiety but ig we’ll see when january mock results come back…
Reply 8
me too 🥲 and my insurance is only ABB so i don’t have much to fall back on. i got AABB in mocks, predicted AAAA and i need either AAA or AAB depending on where i firm. i suddenly got a D in one of my stronger subjects which definitely added to the anxiety but ig we’ll see when january mock results come back…

BRO I COMPLETELY GET YOU 😭😭. I got a C in a rushed answer (i was being anxious and left it till the very last minute, like 20 mins before I had to turn it in) on one of my strongest subjects before too! We are in this together!!! I haven’t gotten my Jan mock grades back as well so we will see then 🥲. Your predicted grades are actually pretty good and similar to mine!!! We’ve got this!!! 🥲 Just gotta find out how to learn all the content fully and answer all past question papers in 2 months 😕 😭😭😭. If it isn’t the consequences of my anxiety!

Hey! These are what I did within 3 months of prep which helped me get 1A* and 3As for my A Levels.

Firstly, I want you to have a goal. Whether it's 3 As or 3A*s, have your goal and write it down on a piece of paper and put it up where you'd see it every single day (maybe in front of your study table, for example). Trust me, this will help in manifesting your goal for yourself which will help you with your motivation and drive too.

Next, I need you to make a summary of all the topics you need to study for each of your subjects. This will help you get a sense of the amount you need to cover and will help with procrastination if you're really determined to achieve your goal. Get revising while checking off each topic you cover. Remember not to think about everything you have to study at once. This will become overwhelming. Instead, take it one by one. Only focus on one thing at a time. Keep reminding yourself of your goal and pushing through.

FORGET BUILDING A TIMETABLE FOR REVISION NOW. At this point, a timetable won't help you because when you realize the amount you need to cover before your exams you will automatically feel too anxious and feel like giving up. To avoid this, BE SPONTANEOUS. Study what you like when you want to study (but of course, be disciplined enough to make sure you study everything you need to). Point is, don't fix up a concrete schedule to adhere to, since it wouldn't happen (and this would only add to the stress if you can't complete what you'd hoped to on that day). So, be spontaneous and achieve the maximum you can every single day.

When studying, make sure you clarify every little nook and cranny in your subject area. Make sure you critically understand concepts and not just memorise them (A Levels are all about the application of knowledge in questions). Trying to understand the content points rather than just parrotising them will help you score much better and cut down hours of studying time. Don't hesitate to reach out to someone who can help you clarify your doubts.

Do several different past papers over and over again. Repeat the same past paper about 5-6 times at least before your exams. This will help you build "muscle memory" in writing answers which will help you save lots of time in the exam because all exam boards ask questions in similar patterns, and this will make you faster in writing for the exam under time pressure. Don't forget to always time yourself when doing past papers and keep improving your speed. Remember that if you can complete past papers at home half an hour before the timer ends, then at the exam you'll need more time (all things like exam anxiety, novelty of the questions, etc taken into account).

When revising, if you find a topic that you particularly feel is hard for you. Make a short note, a mind map, a flashcard or anything else that works for you that explains the concept in a unique way that you understand. For instance, when I was studying electron ionization for Chemistry, I used the solar system as my model to understand the concept. So, be creative: come up with mnemonics, fun acronyms, everyday life jokes or models to understand and remember your content better. You can also Google such if you can't really come up with something.

Remember, since you are preparing under severe time constraints, the exam pressure and anxiety will definitely make you feel discouraged at times. To minimise the effect of this, don't forget to eat healthy, get enough sleep and maintain personal hygiene. This will motivate you to get through the tough days.

Just the day before your exams, make sure to go through all the past papers you have done for each unit of your subjects. Go through and revise the content that you got wrong and make sure to revise a little more on those areas.

These are basically what I did. Hope these tips will help you. Best of Luck!!!!
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest