The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

University of Plymouth 2020 Applicants Thread

Hi everyone! It's Jemima here, your University of Plymouth Rep. I'd like to offer a big welcome to all of our 2020 applicants, who are welcome to use this thread as an opportunity to ask questions, meet fellow applicants, and share experiences.

Please find some common topics before we begin to help you:

Student Experience
Accommodation
Fees and Funding
Open Days
Admissions Contact

Please let me know if you have any questions! I look forward to e-meeting you all!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I applied for International Relations with Politics on the 18th October. In the confirmation email I received and on the website, it says that applications are usually replied to within 14 days - do you think I should be worried?
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Hi!

It's great to hear you've applied to study with us! I wouldn't worry about not having received a reply to your application as yet. However, if you are concerned, it might be reassuring to email [email protected] or you can phone them on 01752 585858.

Have a good day!
Reply 3
Hi! Hopefully the right place to ask, I’ve applied for events management and have a couple of questions about the course. How many opportunities are there to get involved in planning and carrying out your own event? And How many people are usually on the course every year? Thank you!
Morning!

It's great to hear you've applied to study Events Management with us! I read this yesterday and I've been trying to get answers to your questions.

As part of the course, you will have opportunities throughout the 3 years to plan and deliver real events. This may be in the form of exhibitions, fairs, high-end banqueting(!) and you will also have the opportunity to bid for the chance to manage your preferred event! :smile:

You also have access to international field trips with past students visiting event venues in Prague, Disneyland Paris :dancing: and Amsterdam, as well as the opportunity to learn a foreign language and take a year placement.

There is a really good range of optional modules as well, such as festival and event tourism!

In terms of cohort sizes, it really varies. And in certain modules you may share seminars and such with students from other business courses, so it will be a nice mix, with opportunity to meet lots of people.

I really hope I've managed to answer your questions, but please get back in touch if I can help further. :thumbsup:

~ Catherine, University of Plymouth
Reply 5
Original post by University of Plymouth
Morning!

It's great to hear you've applied to study Events Management with us! I read this yesterday and I've been trying to get answers to your questions.

As part of the course, you will have opportunities throughout the 3 years to plan and deliver real events. This may be in the form of exhibitions, fairs, high-end banqueting(!) and you will also have the opportunity to bid for the chance to manage your preferred event! :smile:

You also have access to international field trips with past students visiting event venues in Prague, Disneyland Paris :dancing: and Amsterdam, as well as the opportunity to learn a foreign language and take a year placement.

There is a really good range of optional modules as well, such as festival and event tourism!

In terms of cohort sizes, it really varies. And in certain modules you may share seminars and such with students from other business courses, so it will be a nice mix, with opportunity to meet lots of people.

I really hope I've managed to answer your questions, but please get back in touch if I can help further. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your help, that’s great! 😊
Original post by Hsme
Thank you for your help, that’s great! 😊

No problem! Give me a shout if I can help further.

Reply 7
applied for biomedical science on 28th Nov and got an offer from Plymouth for 120 UCAS points on 2nd Dec :smile:
what's the nightlife like at the University of Plymouth? :smile:
Original post by aw03
applied for biomedical science on 28th Nov and got an offer from Plymouth for 120 UCAS points on 2nd Dec :smile:

@aw03 Well done, amazing news! Congratulations! :party:

Let me know if I can answer any questions you have as you look to start on your uni journey.

Original post by Anonymous
what's the nightlife like at the University of Plymouth? :smile:

Hi!

There's lots of variety on the nightlife front in Plymouth from friendly, local pubs to bigger dancing venues.

You might find some good insights from our students on their blog pages - they'll have more to say than me! http://www.mylifewithplym.com/undergraduate

There are also some great events with our SU like I 🧡 Noughties, Karaoke Wednesdays and the Winter Ball!

I love this city, so let me know if I can answer more questions :smile:

Hi I'm coming to Plymouth 2020 (pending grades) and just wondering if anyone lives out during their first year? The Halls seem quite expensive compared with living out, but would I be too 'out of it' by living out? Where are the best areas to rent? Thanks
Original post by Drummer king
Hi I'm coming to Plymouth 2020 (pending grades) and just wondering if anyone lives out during their first year? The Halls seem quite expensive compared with living out, but would I be too 'out of it' by living out? Where are the best areas to rent? Thanks

Hi there!

How are you? So great to hear you're coming to Plymouth! It's a fab place to be!

In terms of accommodation for your first year, I can offer some advice:

I studied here and, for the same reason as you, went straight in to a house. It was great and I loved it! I chose to live with third years (the landlord/lady can tell you all about the students living in the house, so you can make a more informed choice). Because they had been at the uni for a couple of years, they were able to show me and tell me loads about Plymouth, which was really helpful. I then had all my first year friends from my course, as well as all my housemates and their friends. I met a few landlords/ladies before choosing the house I decided on. My landlady was fab and I ended up living in different houses owned by her for 3 years!

On our blog page, you can also meet Joseph, who went straight into a house. You can read about his experience here, http://www.mylifewithplym.com/josephs-blog/2016/10/31/the-moving-in

Ankitha can also tell you a bit more about housing, http://www.mylifewithplym.com/ankithas-blog/2018/7/23/from-one-accommodation-to-the-other

I hope that helps you. Let me know if I can help further! :smile:

(edited 4 years ago)
Hi there!

How are you? So great to hear you're coming to Plymouth! It's a fab place to be!

In terms of accommodation for your first year, I can offer some advice:

I studied here and, for the same reason as you, went straight in to a house. It was great and I loved it! I chose to live with third years (the landlord/lady can tell you all about the students living in the house, so you can make a more informed choice). Because they had been at the uni for a couple of years, they were able to show me and tell me loads about Plymouth, which was really helpful. I then had all my first year friends from my course, as well as all my housemates and their friends. I met a few landlords/ladies before choosing the house I decided on. My landlady was fab and I ended up living in different houses owned by her for 3 years!

On our blog page, you can also meet Joseph, who went straight into a house. You can read about his experience here, http://www.mylifewithplym.com/josephs-blog/2016/10/31/the-moving-in

Ankitha can also tell you a bit more about housing, http://www.mylifewithplym.com/ankithas-blog/2018/7/23/from-one-accommodation-to-the-other

I hope that helps you. Let me know if I can help further! :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by Drummer king

Spoiler

Morning Stef!

Yes, definitely look at all of your options. I can offer advice on accommodation, but you must choose what feels best for you!

This link goes to the privately-owned accommodation. https://www.plymunihomes.uk/searchResults/Private%20Halls
There are some great options here too. Generally, though not as a strict rule, it's first years that apply for halls accommodation, so you should be with others in your position. Saying that, I can't guarantee things with privately-owned halls, as obviously they're not run by the university.

Best of luck choosing your preferred option. Remember to choose the best option for you!

I'm here if you'd like to ask me anything more :smile:

Catherine ~ University of Plymouth
Hi,I've just had an dental interview at the University of Plymouth and was wondering if the University are able to reimburse any travel/accommodation costs as I had to commute from Birmingham. I wasn't able to find any form that I had to complete on their website.Thanks
Reply 18
Hi everyone! It's Jemima here, your University of Plymouth Rep. I'd like to offer a big welcome to all of our 2020 applicants, who are welcome to use this thread as an opportunity to ask questions, meet fellow applicants, and share experiences.

Please find some common topics before we begin to help you:

Student Experience
Accommodation
Fees and Funding
Open Days
Admissions Contact

Please let me know if you have any questions! I look forward to e-meeting you all!

are there any GCSE requirements for dentistry?
Original post by Raja12
are there any GCSE requirements for dentistry?

Morning Raja12!

How are you?

There are some requirements for Dentistry from your GCSEs. There is some information on our website that you can have a look at. The basics are here:

GCSEs

Applicants need to achieve 7 GCSE passes at grades A-C/9-4 which must include English language, mathematics and either GCSE double award science or two from single award chemistry, biology, or physics.

If you want to have a look at a bit more, have a read through some of the info you can find on our Dentistry pages: https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/bds-dental-surgery

Drop me a message if there's anything else I can try to help you with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending