The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Has anyone been accepted into a CS course with a 5 or less in GCSE Math?

Hey, I'm going to be applying for the Computer Science with a foundation year course, however, I currently have a 5 in GCSE Maths as opposed to the requirement of a 6. I am going to be retaking GCSE Maths in the GCSE exam period of 2020, however, I am not extremely confident that I will be able to achieve a 6. Has anybody been through a similar experience and been excepted into Loughborough university anyway? You may have achieved a 5 or 4 in GCSE Maths but been accepted into any level of Computer Science. Maybe it was the BSC course, maybe Computer Science and Mathematics or maybe your like me and applied for the foundation year. If there is anybody who has been in the same situation as me, I'd like to hear your story! I would also like to hear about anybody who got into computer science through clearing.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I'm going to be applying for the Computer Science with a foundation year course, however, I currently have a 5 in GCSE Maths as opposed to the requirement of a 6. I am going to be retaking GCSE Maths in the GCSE exam period of 2020, however, I am not extremely confident that I will be able to achieve a 6. Has anybody been through a similar experience and been excepted into Loughborough university anyway? You may have achieved a 5 or 4 in GCSE Maths but been accepted into any level of Computer Science. Maybe it was the BSC course, maybe Computer Science and Mathematics or maybe your like me and applied for the foundation year. If there is anybody who has been in the same situation as me, I'd like to hear your story! I would also like to hear about anybody who got into computer science through clearing.

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/foundation/computer-science/

This is the foundation course @Loughborough University

I do not believe that they allow people onto courses without the GCSE grade.

Here is the phone number for admissions. They will be able to tell you: 01509 222566 (Free to call)

I personally have never heard of someone getting onto a course without the GCSE requirements, but I could be completely wrong.

You would have needed 6s or higher + a grade A in Mathematics to study any NON foundation course at LBU.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

What are your A-Level subjects if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 3
Original post by AM_TSR
What are your A-Level subjects if you don't mind me asking?

BTEC ICT. I will probably get D*D*D*
my understanding is they're pretty strict on maths requirements as it's an important skill to have and you're unlikely to cope with the course if you can't meet the grades
BTEC ICT. I will probably get D*D*D*

Original post by doodle_333
my understanding is they're pretty strict on maths requirements as it's an important skill to have and you're unlikely to cope with the course if you can't meet the grades

Computer Science is maths maths maths. I'd advise you try to retake and get the grade
Reply 6
Original post by bsharp984
Computer Science is maths maths maths. I'd advise you try to retake and get the grade

Oof. Yeah I am trying but I’m really struggling to progress at a faster rate than I did last time I retook Maths. There’s so much coursework to do in my BTEC and it’s very difficult to make time where I can sit down and study Maths. Hopefully I manage though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending