The Student Room Group

A level combo for applying to cambridge

Hey guys- I need a little advice. I want to apply to do law at Cambridge. ( 9 years ago, I got AAAB in my Alevels)

- Currently I'm also taking a one year intensive a level in sociology. It's not the most impressive subject so I'm also self studying history in one year to prove my academic mettle. Problem is, history is taking up a LOT of time. I'm doing well in it but it's incredibly time consuming.

I know I could do an a level in philosophy pretty easily as I'm passionate about the topic and have a strong grasp of almost everything on the spec already.

Would having an a level combo of sociology and philosophy look bad though? I'm not sure that philosophy looks as good as history? So, maybe I should just knuckle down and forget about philosophy even though it would be a lot easier for me? What do you guys think?
(edited 4 years ago)
They don’t care what subjects you do for a levels but more about the quality of your grades. They don’t have a preference anymore and philosophy wouldn’t be looked down in general. Do a level philosophy if you think you might get higher grades in it and are passionate about it. It doesn’t matter the combination because you could do all sciences and apply for law but it’s more if you’re interested in law and the things you do to show that and your grades - it just that there are more applicants that have history as their subject, which gives a false impression you need history for law.
Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
They don’t care what subjects you do for a levels but more about the quality of your grades. They don’t have a preference anymore and philosophy wouldn’t be looked down in general. Do a level philosophy if you think you might get higher grades in it and are passionate about it. It doesn’t matter the combination because you could do all sciences and apply for law but it’s more if you’re interested in law and the things you do to show that and your grades - it just that there are more applicants that have history as their subject, which gives a false impression you need history for law.

Thanks for replying! Yeah, I know they say they don't care but I've heard that subject combanation, as opposed to one individual subject does make a difference. It's the combo of sociology and philosophy that I'm worried about as sociology is seen as such a weak A level. I'm hoping the fact that it's being done intensively in a year will help with that though.
Original post by Hayblabla
Thanks for replying! Yeah, I know they say they don't care but I've heard that subject combanation, as opposed to one individual subject does make a difference. It's the combo of sociology and philosophy that I'm worried about as sociology is seen as such a weak A level. I'm hoping the fact that it's being done intensively in a year will help with that though.

Ohhh tbh in my opinion I don’t see as a weak a level
Reply 4
Original post by PetitePanda
Ohhh tbh in my opinion I don’t see as a weak a level

Yeah, no a level is easy, really, but unfortunately there is a bit of a stigma with sociology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending