The Student Room Group

Holiday Advice- Latvia

Hey, second post of the day (wooh~)
On Friday, I will entering a plane for the first time to sit through a 2 hour journey to Latvia to visit my boyfriend's family (Yay for Christmas holidays). Does anyone have any advice for someone who has not ventured out of the UK before? (aside from a weekend to Paris)

Also, what should I bring from the UK as a thank you gift to his family- My boyfriend's family (which live in England) have not given me any useful information on what to buy aside from English sweets. I'm not too keen on the idea of giving English sweets because when my boyfriend visits them, he is always bringing sweets, should I just give in to buying sweets or is there something else I could gift them?
Original post by Shiro_A
Hey, second post of the day (wooh~)
On Friday, I will entering a plane for the first time to sit through a 2 hour journey to Latvia to visit my boyfriend's family (Yay for Christmas holidays). Does anyone have any advice for someone who has not ventured out of the UK before? (aside from a weekend to Paris)

Also, what should I bring from the UK as a thank you gift to his family- My boyfriend's family (which live in England) have not given me any useful information on what to buy aside from English sweets. I'm not too keen on the idea of giving English sweets because when my boyfriend visits them, he is always bringing sweets, should I just give in to buying sweets or is there something else I could gift them?

Latvians seem to like a drink or two. Maybe get them a couple of bottles of spirits?
Some of my family live in Latvia, mainly Riga. There tends to be Christmas markets, with great food. Typically Latvians/Russians enjoy English chocolates. Make sure if you are in a large city to go out at night, because the decorations are amazing
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
Latvians seem to like a drink or two. Maybe get them a couple of bottles of spirits?

Can you bring that on a plane?
Liquids are something I'm quite confused about
Original post by Shiro_A
Can you bring that on a plane?
Liquids are something I'm quite confused about

Not in hand luggage unless it was bought airside (i.e. in Duty Free). If you're taking duty-paid spirits from the UK as a present, then they'd need to be in checked baggage. And obviously very well packed - but you'd be better off buying them airside before you leave the UK airport.
Reply 5
Original post by mhudson2015
Some of my family live in Latvia, mainly Riga. There tends to be Christmas markets, with great food. Typically Latvians/Russians enjoy English chocolates. Make sure if you are in a large city to go out at night, because the decorations are amazing

Ooh ok~ I'll look into chocolates then
Yes I'm going to Riga, I'm not sure how often but my boyfriend said his family, who live in Jelgava, live relatively close
Original post by Shiro_A
Ooh ok~ I'll look into chocolates then
Yes I'm going to Riga, I'm not sure how often but my boyfriend said his family, who live in Jelgava, live relatively close

Just to let you know, Russians/Latvians can be quite up front about things, so make sure you don't take it personally. ))
Reply 7
Original post by mhudson2015
Just to let you know, Russians/Latvians can be quite up front about things, so make sure you don't take it personally. ))

Haha, ok thanks for the heads up c:

Quick Reply

Latest