The Student Room Group

Do you buy many second hand clothes?

a year ago I bought pretty much all of my clothes from ASOS, but for environmental and ethical reasons I'm trying more and more to buy second hand clothes. I've picked up a few great bargains from charity shops and quite a bit off depop too - even for special occasions!

Do you buy much second hand? If so, where from?

Scroll to see replies

To be honest with you, I've never bought any of my clothes secondhand.
I have enough clothes, I rarely buy new clothes 🤣 but when I grow out of my current clothes, I intend to buy second hand. No idea where though??
Yes.
Almost all of my shoes, coats, suits, blouses, trousers and dresses are from charity shops or ebay.
I sometimes do clothes swaps on gumtree and at swap events.
The only things that I always buy new are hosiery, lingerie and swimsuits.
I haven't bought any clothes for ages, but when I do, generally no, I really should though.
I got a leather jacket from a charity shop for £7 about 4-5 years ago and I wear it to this day 😊

While not clothes, I did pick up an awesome painted canvas for $5 in New York City this summer 😁 (it only just fit in my suitcase)

0113393E-DFB9-463C-817F-3BDE65326DED.jpeg
Reply 6
Almost exclusively.
Original post by Obolinda
I have enough clothes, I rarely buy new clothes 🤣 but when I grow out of my current clothes, I intend to buy second hand. No idea where though??

Charity shop in a posh area is a decent bet.https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2013/nov/21/the-best-charity-shops-for-finding-celebrity-castoffs
If you have older siblings you are the charity.
I would never
Reply 10
I personally buy second hand clothes mainly off depop but I also look out on facebook for local vintage kilo sales because you get to see the items in person. Another place but it can be hit or miss is charity shops. A lot of my clothes have come from my parents or older brother when they went to charity shop or recycle older or too small clothes I have nabbed them. With second hand clothes they aren't always in the size you want so taking a sewing machine to them can be wonders. Also transformation videos on youtueb on clothes from charity shop can give a lot of ideas.
Reply 11
Original post by chelseadagg3r
a year ago I bought pretty much all of my clothes from ASOS, but for environmental and ethical reasons I'm trying more and more to buy second hand clothes. I've picked up a few great bargains from charity shops and quite a bit off depop too - even for special occasions!

Do you buy much second hand? If so, where from?

Hiya I buy all my clothes second hand now for the same reasons.

Depop is the most useful - you can find tons on there and often at a good price, if the price is too high don't be afraid to message the seller and try to persuade them to sell to you at a lower price. Be wary of scams on depop though, never pay someone through Paypal Friends and Family like they often try to persuade you to. Also if youre not hundred percent sure if an item will fit or be quite right in real life, its worth looking at how many likes it has got - if its got a lot in not much time then chances are you can just sell it on to someone else if you dont like it, and maybe even make a profit in the process

Charity shops are also great, but it's difficult to find good stuff in them unless you go really regularly. If you have some on your way to work/school/uni then its a good idea to pop in regularly so you can be the first to spot new great stuff! Also what area the charity shop is in can be important, don't be surprised if a charity shop in an area with predominantly old people is selling old people's clothes.

Another option is vintage stores and vintage markets. I go to ones in Brighton quite regularly, and you can find tons in London. There are some nice (albeit quite expensive) ones in Camden and Shoreditch, and I've heard Deptford market is very cheap. If you live in or near a city then there's likely to be some near you, and often its supporting local business too which is always good.
Yes but not for ethical reasons, more so for well their cheaper prices.

Usually charity shops.
You can try an app call Vinted! There is loads of stuff on there. Almost everything , I use it and is quite good for selling and buying clothes.
Original post by londonmyst
Yes.
Almost all of my shoes, coats, suits, blouses, trousers and dresses are from charity shops or ebay.
I sometimes do clothes swaps on gumtree and at swap events.
The only things that I always buy new are hosiery, lingerie and swimsuits.

I like your style!!!!
Sometimes, if I see something I like in a charity shop. I try to live an ethical lifestyle but buying too many clothes is probably one of my bad habits so I should make an effort to buy more things second hand. Also I sometimes like to modify clothes, for example I've got a jacket I decorated with metal studs and I've dyed a few items different colours. If I'm going to do this I prefer to use second hand clothes so then if things don't turn out as I intended I haven't ruined anything new.
no
Original post by ewelina12
You can try an app call Vinted! There is loads of stuff on there. Almost everything , I use it and is quite good for selling and buying clothes.

I've heard a few people mention Vinted. I'll have to look on there- see what I can find that I like.
You are doing a good job, it is truly a great initiative for saving the environment. Well, I don’t buy used clothes, but I buy clothes and do DIY when I see they are getting torn or damaged.
I do buy second-hand stuff sometimes, but only if it's new or in really good condition. I buy from charity shops or eBay.

Quick Reply

Latest