The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Rejection

Ok so basically about 2 weeks ago I was rejected from LSE Econ and they've said it was because my PS wasn't good enough .

Just wondering if anyone else has had that same email and if anyone who's been through this and has asked for further feedback what did they say?

The email is just a generic rejection email and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into why they were rejected as well .

Thanks .

BTW my stats are

GCSEs : 999988888AA*A^
A-level predictions; A*A*A*A* and A* in EPQ
A prime example that grades aren't a free way pass into Uni. It's time to cultivate personalities, people.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Did you apply before the Oxbridge deadline; LSE is known for rejecting candidates that they think will get into Oxford or Cambridge.
Reply 3
Original post by cheerIeader
A prime example that grades aren't a free way pass into Uni. It's time to cultivate personalities, people.

i put down my grades as a reference point for other ppl in a similar situation, i didn't mean for it to come across as if i think it's a free pass
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by AnonymousPrince319413
Did you apply before the Oxbridge deadline; LSE is known for rejecting candidates that they think will get into Oxford or Cambridge.

yeh i applied to E&M at Oxford but messed up my admissions test so didn't get an interview ...
Also applicants were asked to fill out an additional questionnaire about if they did further maths and if they took an admissions test so LSE knew i did the TSA for Oxford .
Another applicant with a very similar grade profile to me messaged me when i posted that i had been rejected from LSE who had also been rejected by Oxford asking if i had to do the questionnaire
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by A_25
i put down my grades as a reference point for other ppl in a similar situation, i didn't mean for it to come across as if i think it's a free pass

Oh, I'm sure.
Original post by AnonymousPrince319413

That just isn't true. LSE doesn't care whether you applied to Oxbridge. Just think about it logically. Why on earth would a university such as LSE be so petty and self-defeating as to reject people purely on the basis that it knows, or suspects, they applied to Oxbridge? LSE wants to attract some of the brightest students in the UK and around the world. It knows that a large proportion of those students will also be applying to Oxbridge, and that a large number of them will be rejected - why on earth wouldn't it want them? Why on earth wouldn't LSE want students committed enough to their subject to want to go through all the effort and extra work of an Oxbridge application?

LSE only cares if your personal statement is directly tailored to an Oxbridge course, to the extent that it isn't relevant to the LSE course. In other words, it's the extent to which your PS fits the LSE course that matters, not whether you applied to Oxbridge - it's just possible that the fact of applying to Oxbridge might render your PS's content too different from the LSE course (a problem for some subjects more than others).

E.g. People who want to study Politics and International Relations generally apply to HSPS at Cambridge - but in order to get a Cambridge interview, their personal statement needs to talk about Sociology and Anthropology, subjects included in the HSPS course. Given that the LSE Pol & IR course contains no sociology or anthropology, LSE doesn't tend to view such personal statements very favourably. A girl I went to school with got into Cambridge to study HSPS but was rejected for LSE Pol & IR within 4 weeks of applying, on the basis of her personal statement.

For the record, I, along with the vast majority of my British - and incidentally, Chinese - friends at LSE applied to Oxbridge. It's very much the norm. It didn't stop any of us from getting offers.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by LeapingLucy
That just isn't true. LSE doesn't care whether you applied to Oxbridge. Just think about it logically. Why on earth would a university such as LSE be so petty and self-defeating as to reject people purely on the basis that it knows, or suspects, they applied to Oxbridge? LSE wants to attract some of the brightest students in the UK and around the world. It knows that a large proportion of those students will also be applying to Oxbridge, and that a large number of them will be rejected - why on earth wouldn't it want them? Why on earth wouldn't LSE want students committed enough to their subject to want to go through all the effort and extra work of an Oxbridge application?

LSE only cares if your personal statement is directly tailored to an Oxbridge course, to the extent that it isn't relevant to the LSE course. In other words, it's the extent to which your PS fits the LSE course that matters, not whether you applied to Oxbridge - it's just possible that the fact of applying to Oxbridge might render your PS's content too different from the LSE course (a problem for some subjects more than others).

E.g. People who want to study Politics and International Relations generally apply to HSPS at Cambridge - but in order to get a Cambridge interview, their personal statement needs to talk about Sociology and Anthropology, subjects included in the HSPS course. Given that the LSE Pol & IR course contains no sociology or anthropology, LSE doesn't tend to view such personal statements very favourably. A girl I went to school with got into Cambridge to study HSPS but was rejected for LSE Pol & IR within 4 weeks of applying, on the basis of her personal statement.

For the record, I, along with the vast majority of my British - and incidentally, Chinese - friends at LSE applied to Oxbridge. It's very much the norm. It didn't stop any of us from getting offers.

yeh i do agree, why would they ask candidates if they sat certain admissions tests though ?

As an aside, my ps was not tailored to E&M at Oxford it was pure econ based but I've been sent the same generic email as everyone else who i know has been rejected so I'm wondering if you know what LSE have said to applicants when they have asked for further feedback ?
I have not received any additional questionnaire from LSE for Economics despite applying in September. Should I be worried?
Reply 9
Original post by Civilised
I have not received any additional questionnaire from LSE for Economics despite applying in September. Should I be worried?

nah doubt it, i think you got if you applied for something maths heavy, i applied for econ so things like eon+math would have got it as well
Did you write about management at all in your PS?
Wow, I am hoping this is not the same trend with everyone else wherein a generic email is sent to the rejected applicant. After all, we paid an application fees besides the time dedicated to satisfying their requirements, so its only right that they provide some constructive feedback. Because if they dont, it sounds a bit too much like getting scammed
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 12
Original post by username193837

Okay, but is the actually true?
Original post by Anyazz
Okay, but is the actually true?

Nope.
Original post by A_25
Ok so basically about 2 weeks ago I was rejected from LSE Econ and they've said it was because my PS wasn't good enough .

Just wondering if anyone else has had that same email and if anyone who's been through this and has asked for further feedback what did they say?

The email is just a generic rejection email and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into why they were rejected as well .

Thanks .

BTW my stats are

GCSEs : 999988888AA*A^
A-level predictions; A*A*A*A* and A* in EPQ

The exact this happened to me today.. can i do something?
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous

No I’m afraid not. It is end of the road for LSE for you, at least for this application year. Best of luck with your other choices.
Original post by Anonymous

wait you got rejected this year already? may i ask for your stats and what you're studying

Latest

Trending

Trending