The Student Room Group

New A level retake rules

To clarify, I'm an international student, from Malaysia, and over here, colleges generally offer an 18-month course on CIE A levels. I got 3A's for my AS, Economics, Accounting and Mathematics but I only have less than 3 months left till the first exam for my A2. I need to self-study and finish accounting and economics because the teachers are kind of incompetent but I'm worried that I might not do well enough to get A*'s. I did surprisingly well for my econs and after crunching some numbers I realized that I only need a high B or above to get an A* for econs and I don't want to screw this up. My question is whether I can choose to retake only my A2 exams and use the old AS grades. Now I've read around and have gotten some very mixed answers that say anything from "the universities only take the most recent results" to "you can pick to submit the results as you see fit" to "it's all up to the university to decide and you need to write to them". I am now really confused, nervous and stressed as I have to self-study 2 A2 subjects and get A for them and I don't want to give up my AS results as they were really good.

TL;DR: CIE A level International student, can I retake A2 exam if I'm not satisfied with the results and keep the AS results?
Reply 1
If you sat your AS in June 2019 you must sit for the A2 in June 2020.

You cannot use the AS of June 2019 after this. You can only use results that are within a 13 months peroid.
Reply 2
And about the best grade thing.

My Friend scored a B in AS Chem in June 2014. He resat AS Chem in Oct 2014 and got an A. He then sat A2 Chem in June 2015. His final A level result was calculated from Oct 2014 and June 2015 bcs the Oct 2014 result was better than June 2014.
Reply 3
Original post by tim3
If you sat your AS in June 2019 you must sit for the A2 in June 2020.

You cannot use the AS of June 2019 after this. You can only use results that are within a 13 months peroid.

I did my AS last November so that should still be fine right?
Reply 4
Original post by eMITrACk
I did my AS last November so that should still be fine right?

Yes the AS can be carried forward untill next November 2020.
But if you are a bit concerned why dont do u delay your exams a bit?

Also try to perform equally well in all exams. Or just be done with your two strongest A2s.

But if you can perform strongly within June that would be advantegous for you as you can show Unis that you finished things like a boss in. A shorter period 😎

Do confirm with British council though. But my understanding says you can.

Quick Reply

Latest