The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni to do the same course in another, better uni

Hi guys, I have a really complicated situation that I don't know how to deal with. I did not receive the a level grades I wanted for my course (which is very competitive) therefore did not get into my firm choice or any university that I am particularly fond of. I therefore decided I will retake all of my a levels and my parents were on board with this idea but said that I HAVE to join the university offering this course while I retake them. I have no problem with the difficulty/time etc but I am just scared of how the other universities will react when they see I am already enrolled in a university. Unfortunately I won't be able to transfer and would have to restart from year 1 (in 2024) even after completing one year but my parents said that they have no problem wasting £9000, just that I have to be in a university. My questions are:
1) Am I allowed to apply through UCAS to start first year of the same course at a better university, while I am currently enrolled in a university? Would this affect my application as the other unis can see that I am already enrolled within one. - also what reason would I possibly give (other than the fact I hate the university) that I want to move.

2) Can I hire a private tutor to give me my predicted grades and reference or will this negatively impact me?

3) If I decide to drop out after first term just to focus on my a levels, and my parents let me, would I have to even put the fact that I attended uni for one term on my UCAS? I know people will say that unis dont care but it does look really dodgy and really really just don't want to put it on my application, my question is can universities see past education history in some secret database that they have, like will they know that I didn't just take a gap year to resit and I was actually in a university for a few months?
What is the course in question? Note that for medicine, medical schools normally do not consider applicants who have started but not completed a medical degree anywhere else, usually for any reason. So leaving a medical degree before finishing will effectively have you blacklisted from UK medical schools.

Oxford formally state they do not consider applicants currently at other unis except in exceptional circumstances, and would expect strong support from the university you are currently studying at. You will not receive an academic reference with strong support from your current uni in time for the Oxbridge deadline, so functionally the only way to apply to Oxford would be to then apply in the second year of the course, at which point you have overshot your SFE entitlement for the new course. Cambridge I believe don't consider such applicants at all.

For most other courses and unis it's theoretically possible but an absurd prospect - just take a gap year and reapply like a normal person. Also there is practically no way you can retake A-levels while doing a degree. Firstly there is absolutely zero facility to resolve any clashes between uni exams and A-level exams - and if you are reapplying to a uni elsewhere they very well may also stipulate you achieve a specified result in your first year of uni (even if that is just a pass). It's also completely impractical to expect to have time to revise for your A-level exams and your uni exams at the same time.

Tell your parents that you're either retaking your A-levels and going to the "better" uni, or you are going to the uni you have gotten into and will be finishing your degree there. You should never under any circumstances begin a degree at one uni you do not intend to finish. And I say this as someone who has done that (and had nothing but trouble come from it).
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
What is the course in question? Note that for medicine, medical schools normally do not consider applicants who have started but not completed a medical degree anywhere else, usually for any reason. So leaving a medical degree before finishing will effectively have you blacklisted from UK medical schools.

Oxford formally state they do not consider applicants currently at other unis except in exceptional circumstances, and would expect strong support from the university you are currently studying at. You will not receive an academic reference with strong support from your current uni in time for the Oxbridge deadline, so functionally the only way to apply to Oxford would be to then apply in the second year of the course, at which point you have overshot your SFE entitlement for the new course. Cambridge I believe don't consider such applicants at all.

For most other courses and unis it's theoretically possible but an absurd prospect - just take a gap year and reapply like a normal person. Also there is practically no way you can retake A-levels while doing a degree. Firstly there is absolutely zero facility to resolve any clashes between uni exams and A-level exams - and if you are reapplying to a uni elsewhere they very well may also stipulate you achieve a specified result in your first year of uni (even if that is just a pass). It's also completely impractical to expect to have time to revise for your A-level exams and your uni exams at the same time.

Tell your parents that you're either retaking your A-levels and going to the "better" uni, or you are going to the uni you have gotten into and will be finishing your degree there. You should never under any circumstances begin a degree at one uni you do not intend to finish. And I say this as someone who has done that (and had nothing but trouble come from it).

Hello, thanks for your reply :smile: The course that I am interested in is architecture. The university I want to reapply to is Manchester which I already got accepted into last year but I just did not make the entry requirements. I may also do UCL but that is my most opportunistic idea, I wouldn't do Oxbridge.

The problem is my parents don't believe that I can get 3 As. I already got two Bs and to be honest the only reason I didn't achieve what I wanted was because I was undergoing problems during the 1/2 months leading to my A levels, but I don't want to get into that. I also now have full motivation to achieve 3A's which I think is quite easy as I already know most of the subject contents, and I am able to study at home and not waste time in lessons. However, my parents want the (in my opinion) rubbish university I am going to as a backup in case I don't get 3 A's. Do you really think that it is impossible to revise while doing the course, as I do know quite a lot of the content?

May I ask what had happened in your circumstance? I really don't want to go as it will be a waste of money, time and I would have to put extra effort in revising and studying my course but I don't really have an option as my parents would probably kick me out of the house lol.
Original post by Student_2024
Hello, thanks for your reply :smile: The course that I am interested in is architecture. The university I want to reapply to is Manchester which I already got accepted into last year but I just did not make the entry requirements. I may also do UCL but that is my most opportunistic idea, I wouldn't do Oxbridge.

The problem is my parents don't believe that I can get 3 As. I already got two Bs and to be honest the only reason I didn't achieve what I wanted was because I was undergoing problems during the 1/2 months leading to my A levels, but I don't want to get into that. I also now have full motivation to achieve 3A's which I think is quite easy as I already know most of the subject contents, and I am able to study at home and not waste time in lessons. However, my parents want the (in my opinion) rubbish university I am going to as a backup in case I don't get 3 A's. Do you really think that it is impossible to revise while doing the course, as I do know quite a lot of the content?

May I ask what had happened in your circumstance? I really don't want to go as it will be a waste of money, time and I would have to put extra effort in revising and studying my course but I don't really have an option as my parents would probably kick me out of the house lol.

Yeah, but it's a while since you did your A-levels and you may get rusty. Studying at home can also increase procrastination. So make sure you get website blockers to help you with that.

If it's only those problems, retake and I think you should be able to get AAA. Or better. It may not be impossible but it'll take a lot of time. I suppose you cana convince your parents you can very likely get the 3As.

This plan is nonsensical. Either you go to the so called rubbish university or you resit in the hope of going elsewhere. You need to stand up to your parents. It is your life and you need to to take a decision not your parents. When are you going to act as an adult instead of a child. What isnt clear is what is behind your parents actions. Do they feel let down and think you didnt do enough work and think you wont do the work if you take the gap year.

Whatever you decide going to a university in the hope of going elsewhere isnt a sensible option. It isnt just the fees there is also the cost of living. Who is paying the extra year back. You or your parents. You need to discuss this with your parents but ultimately it is your decision. You dont say why you dont want to go to a rubbish university or if that is really the case Are you just thinking above your capabilities. We dont know you so cannot comment but that appears to be parents view. By the way what university is the rubbish one.
Reply 5
Original post by justlearning1469
Yeah, but it's a while since you did your A-levels and you may get rusty. Studying at home can also increase procrastination. So make sure you get website blockers to help you with that.

If it's only those problems, retake and I think you should be able to get AAA. Or better. It may not be impossible but it'll take a lot of time. I suppose you cana convince your parents you can very likely get the 3As.

I think I could handle it ngl as long as I revise whenever I have free time.

Do you think if i drop out after the first term just to focus on my a levels, will it affect my application? Because I don't really have an excuse for wanting to do the same course in another university other than I am just not satisfied by it.
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
This plan is nonsensical. Either you go to the so called rubbish university or you resit in the hope of going elsewhere. You need to stand up to your parents. It is your life and you need to to take a decision not your parents. When are you going to act as an adult instead of a child. What isnt clear is what is behind your parents actions. Do they feel let down and think you didnt do enough work and think you wont do the work if you take the gap year.

Whatever you decide going to a university in the hope of going elsewhere isnt a sensible option. It isnt just the fees there is also the cost of living. Who is paying the extra year back. You or your parents. You need to discuss this with your parents but ultimately it is your decision. You dont say why you dont want to go to a rubbish university or if that is really the case Are you just thinking above your capabilities. We dont know you so cannot comment but that appears to be parents view. By the way what university is the rubbish one.

I wish, but they'd probably kick me out, take away my stuff or something like that and I wouldn't hear the end of it. Yes I don't think they believe I can achieve 3A's and will waste the year but I know its not that hard as long as I revise consistently, since technically I am a year ahead of all the other students taking the exam.

My parents said that they would pay for everything and I would be living at home, but it's annoying me since its such a waste of money. And also it is making my chances of getting an offer from other unis more difficult, as they would all see that I am enrolled in one. I DO know that I can go to a way better uni, the one I have to go to right now is LSBU which respectfully I know I would regret for the next 3 years.
I wish, but they'd probably kick me out, take away my stuff or something like that and I wouldn't hear the end of it. Yes I don't think they believe I can achieve 3A's and will waste the year but I know its not that hard as long as I revise consistently, since technically I am a year ahead of all the other students taking the exam.

My parents said that they would pay for everything and I would be living at home, but it's annoying me since its such a waste of money. And also it is making my chances of getting an offer from other unis more difficult, as they would all see that I am enrolled in one. I DO know that I can go to a way better uni, the one I have to go to right now is LSBU which respectfully I know I would regret for the next 3 years.

It doesnt look good that your parents are going to control your life. Sometime or another you will need to grow up and be an adult. What grades did yet get. 2 Bs what was the other. There were many good options outside of London with ABB although I suspect your parents rule your life and you wouldnt be able to take them up.

Note that just getting 3 As at A-level isn't going to guarantee you will get into architecture at Manchester. If your portfolio is weak then you're no closer than if you hadn't bothered resitting the A-levels. They also normally want to see a broad portfolio using a variety of media and usually like to see not just purely architectural pieces as well. So you'd realistically need to be looking at not only resitting your A-levels, but also ensuring you have a strong portfolio. I can't see how you can do both while on a degree programme - I don't even think you can just do the one while on a degree programme.

That said, have you considered an art foundation (FAD) course? You can read more about them here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684 They're very commonly taken by those applying to creative arts and design subjects (including architecture) and are FE level study (not HE), so you don't apply to SFE for funding and they don't affect your SFE funding entitlement - usually if you do them the year after you finish your A-levels you do not have to pay fees, unless you had to take a year out during your education previously. Of course you don't get a maintenance loan and if you would be aiming to restart from this year, you may find it hard finding one with an available spot. But this might be a better way to satisfy your parent's desires while following your plan to some extent...

Also since they are purely design based, they are an excellent preparation for architecture and understanding what an architecture degree is liek, and developing your portfolio considerably. A secondary corollary of that is that it might be more feasible to arrange to retake your A-levels at the same time, as at the very least you most likely won't have exam clashes. That said time may be in short supply for preparing for your A-level resits still. Trying to do them during an architecture degree would just be impossible though as you have the same or even less time available, but you will also have exams at the uni with no way to resolve clashes with your A-level resit exams.

Spoiler

The big picture of it is, if I had just taken a gap year or two to figure things out I could've avoided all of this, and still gotten my degree sooner and more painlessly. So yes, my opinion is that you shouldn't start a degree you don't intend to finish.
(edited 7 months ago)

Your other option is to stick with LSBU for your part 1 (BSc) and then apply to Manchester for your part 2 (MArch). If you get a 2:1 or above at LSBU, your A level grades won't matter.
Reply 10
Original post by artful_lounger
Note that just getting 3 As at A-level isn't going to guarantee you will get into architecture at Manchester. If your portfolio is weak then you're no closer than if you hadn't bothered resitting the A-levels. They also normally want to see a broad portfolio using a variety of media and usually like to see not just purely architectural pieces as well. So you'd realistically need to be looking at not only resitting your A-levels, but also ensuring you have a strong portfolio. I can't see how you can do both while on a degree programme - I don't even think you can just do the one while on a degree programme.

That said, have you considered an art foundation (FAD) course? You can read more about them here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684 They're very commonly taken by those applying to creative arts and design subjects (including architecture) and are FE level study (not HE), so you don't apply to SFE for funding and they don't affect your SFE funding entitlement - usually if you do them the year after you finish your A-levels you do not have to pay fees, unless you had to take a year out during your education previously. Of course you don't get a maintenance loan and if you would be aiming to restart from this year, you may find it hard finding one with an available spot. But this might be a better way to satisfy your parent's desires while following your plan to some extent...

Also since they are purely design based, they are an excellent preparation for architecture and understanding what an architecture degree is liek, and developing your portfolio considerably. A secondary corollary of that is that it might be more feasible to arrange to retake your A-levels at the same time, as at the very least you most likely won't have exam clashes. That said time may be in short supply for preparing for your A-level resits still. Trying to do them during an architecture degree would just be impossible though as you have the same or even less time available, but you will also have exams at the uni with no way to resolve clashes with your A-level resit exams.

Spoiler

The big picture of it is, if I had just taken a gap year or two to figure things out I could've avoided all of this, and still gotten my degree sooner and more painlessly. So yes, my opinion is that you shouldn't start a degree you don't intend to finish.

They offered me a place last year after viewing my portfolio, so I may just have to resubmit that including a few new pieces that I worked with just so they know that I created new stuff for this portfolio. I don't think the portfolios would be an issue, it is more about the time as I know i would struggle to do both my a levels and a very competitive course.

I have heard about that actually. Although, I don't think it would be much use for me as I already have a strong portfolio and just want a free year to retake my a levels. And like you said, most places would be fully booked so it would be too much of a hassle. I assume that most of an architecture degree would be coursework based but even so is there no way to reschedule university exams? I would definitely have to prioritise my a level exams as I really don't care about getting amazing grades for this course, knowing that I will be moving either way.

Oh i see, did you move the first time because you didn't like your course or the uni itself? That really sucks, do you not get any financial help from family etc? Even so, I know a person who got her law degree at nearly 40 and now she's doing very great in life so maybe just save up until you can afford to complete a full degree and don't give up.
They offered me a place last year after viewing my portfolio, so I may just have to resubmit that including a few new pieces that I worked with just so they know that I created new stuff for this portfolio. I don't think the portfolios would be an issue, it is more about the time as I know i would struggle to do both my a levels and a very competitive course.

I have heard about that actually. Although, I don't think it would be much use for me as I already have a strong portfolio and just want a free year to retake my a levels. And like you said, most places would be fully booked so it would be too much of a hassle. I assume that most of an architecture degree would be coursework based but even so is there no way to reschedule university exams? I would definitely have to prioritise my a level exams as I really don't care about getting amazing grades for this course, knowing that I will be moving either way.

Oh i see, did you move the first time because you didn't like your course or the uni itself? That really sucks, do you not get any financial help from family etc? Even so, I know a person who got her law degree at nearly 40 and now she's doing very great in life so maybe just save up until you can afford to complete a full degree and don't give up.

Just because your portfolio is strong for one uni doesn't mean it necessarily will be for all - bearing in mind Manchester is very competitive for architecture.

In any event the suggestion of a FAD course was mainly as it seemed to meet your parent's and your own demands that you be in a course, while aiming to retake A-levels and go to another uni anyway. As this would avoid you losing a year of your SFE funding entitlement, and avoid the very likely situation you are unable to take the A-level resit exams anyway due to clashes with your uni exams (much less prepare for them adequately while preparing for the uni exams and doing your studio work for the course you went into in the first place).

A uni would absolutely not reschedule their exams for someone who wanted to take an A-level exam at the same time. Also as I noted, if you apply to another uni while currently at one, the uni you apply to is well within its rights to set a conditional offer of a particular result in the first year of your current degree. Some might just set this as a pass, others may expect a 2:1 or equivalent performance.

Regarding my situation it's a bit besides the point. Suffice it to say I'm appealing the SFE decision and pursuing every potential avenue for funding otherwise. This was not to make this thread about my situation but to highlight the potential longer term issues; if you change course and uni once, you lose your gift year. If you subsequently decide you don't like the new uni, have to retake a year for any reason, don't actually want to do that course, then you immediately will need to self fund at least one year of tuition fees for the retake year or whatever new course you may do.

You need to realise that in life you can't have your cake and eat it too. You need to recognise that pursuing both of your current aims is impractical if not impossible and make an adult decision on how you will proceed in that view. Either plan to complete your degree at the current uni, or plan to take a year out and retake your A-levels (+/- FAD course if applicable).
I think I could handle it ngl as long as I revise whenever I have free time.

Do you think if i drop out after the first term just to focus on my a levels, will it affect my application? Because I don't really have an excuse for wanting to do the same course in another university other than I am just not satisfied by it.

Even if you can handle it... y'know it's just a lot more work, and if you really want to focus on the a levels and other stuff like portfolio, i guess just take the year out.

IIn that case I suggest dropping out and resitting.
I’d second the suggestion of taking a FAD instead during your gap year. It’s excellent preparation for studying architecture, a recognised qualification, doesn’t use up student finance and is 100% coursework assessed so would not interfere with your resit plans.
Reply 14
Yes FAD is the best solution here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending